Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by djy2j »

Suns can now sign Oubre for $7 if they want since no one has any cap room left :lol:
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:31 am
Suns can now sign Oubre for $7 if they want since no one has any cap room left :lol:
He’ll just take the QO then and be an UFA next year. I don’t think we want that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

either sign him to a reasonable contract, or let him go.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 pm
All this is bullshit.

Davis, KD Kyrie PG Kawhi Russell all changed teams this offseason and we got Ricky Rubio.
Sorry I forgot about Kemba. And Butler. This offseason is nuts.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:34 am
djy2j wrote:
He’ll just take the QO then and be an UFA next year. I don’t think we want that.
Pretty inevitable that this is going to happen based on the lack of movement on this deal. With the Kawhi/George deal the Suns are pretty much locked into the 10 seed or worse the next 5 years anyway.

Rockets, Blazers, Jazz, Nuggets. Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Kings, Pels, Mavs, Wolves all better teams currently.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:35 am
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Pretty inevitable that this is going to happen based on the lack of movement on this deal. With the Kawhi/George deal the Suns are pretty much locked into the 10 seed or worse the next 5 years anyway.

Rockets, Blazers, Jazz, Nuggets. Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Kings, Pels, Mavs, Wolves all better teams currently.
Wolves, Mavs, Pels, and Thunder are questionable to me. Wolves have KAT and that’s about it. Mavs could be good, we’ll see how KP looks when he comes back, but their free agency was kinda disappointing. Thunder are gonna move Westbrook and bottom out. Everyone loves what the Pels did, me included, but let’s not forget that they added a ton of new pieces that are also very young. They’ll need to mesh and there will be a learning curve. I think they will have some struggles, though Jrue/Reddick/Favors is a nice vet core to help out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Dallas is the only team with cap space and I think you’ll see them target their preferred restricted guys. They don’t have to worry about losing out on players anymore because they’ve already lost out on them, haha.

I’d expect them to start putting offer sheets together, I’ve heard they like Delon Wright, If Memphis matches, they’ll move on, possibly to Oubre. I don’t think they’d break the bank for him though, probably a pretty reasonable offer sheet we can match.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:45 am
djy2j wrote:
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Wolves, Mavs, Pels, and Thunder are questionable to me. Wolves have KAT and that’s about it. Mavs could be good, we’ll see how KP looks when he comes back, but their free agency was kinda disappointing. Thunder are gonna move Westbrook and bottom out. Everyone loves what the Pels did, me included, but let’s not forget that they added a ton of new pieces that are also very young. They’ll need to mesh and there will be a learning curve. I think they will have some struggles, though Jrue/Reddick/Favors is a nice vet core to help out.
I find predictions pretty difficult before we see the teams play. Houston had a rough start last year; perhaps this year the rough start becomes the rough season. How bad will the Warriors be if Curry's ankle problems resurface? Maybe the Blazers really lose something from all the offseason turnover. Maybe this team is finally light enough for Booker to put it on his shoulders. Who knows!

Split T

Post by Split T »

True, teams always surprise, for good and for bad.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:11 pm
If you just look at the current roster in a vacuum with no context and no idea how we got here, it looks pretty decent, like a sensible roster that was built with some thought given to the needs of the team in mind: PG, PF, shooting, defense, high character guys, bball IQ. I like this roster WAY better than last year's.

If you do look at how we got here, it feels like we squandered a lot of assets to get to this point, and that we probably could have gotten this roster or an equally potent one while better managing our position. In particular I'm miffed about giving away so many 2nd rounders and giving away so many assets simply to get out of contracts.

Overall I have mixed feelings but am excited about this team for next year. I don't think it's a playoff team, but if they re-sign Oubre, I think they could win in the mid-30s number of games and be much improved over last year.
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:17 pm
I don’t have any problem with the end result of what we got.

We replaced Warren, Jackson, Holmes, Daniels, Bender, Melton with Rubio, Saric, Johnson, Baynes, Jerome, Kaminsky, Carter.

Clear upgrade and focus on iq, passing, shooting.

Now how we got here wasn’t always the best. We overdrafted on Cam, overpaid on Rubio, and had to dump too many picks. I hope this was just some drastic measures to pull off what is essentially a total reset and not an indicator of how we’ll operate from here on out from as asset management standpoint.
Excellent posts, gentlemen.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm
5/6 went to LA or New York, we didn’t have a chance for any except maybe Russell
This is why I have grown bitter on the NBA
Eh. I don't think this is a "big market" thing. New York hasn't had stars for several years. LAC overhauled their roster and had a great season making the playoffs with a bunch of role and complimentary players. Only then were they in a position to land two stars. And out East, Milwaukee is still probably the best team.

I actually love where the NBA is. It's going to be a great season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

djy2j wrote:
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Don't put that on Kawhi & George. The Suns have made their own bed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't want to make an official thread on this until we re-sign (or don't sign) Oubre. But I'm curious what folks think our ceiling is next year. You can make a case that almost every team in the West got better. But many of those are not sure things, and some teams took steps back, like OKC, GSW, and probably Houston. Other teams are better but won't really see the full results of that for a few years while their young guys mature, like Dallas, Memphis, maybe New Orleans.

Teams that are definitely better than we are:

Denver
Golden State
Houston
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Portland
Utah

Teams that may be better than we are, but could fall:

Oklahoma City
San Antonio

Teams that are no better than we are, and might be worse:

Dallas
Memphis
Minnesota
New Orleans
Sacramento

I could actually see us challenging for the 8th seed next year if everything falls properly. I know that sounds stupid and will probably be stupid by the end of next season. But I could kind of see that 8th spot being wide open, or even the 7th-8th being wide open if one or two of my "definitely better" teams has major injuries or falters.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 am
djy2j wrote:
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Don't put that on Kawhi & George. The Suns have made their own bed.
So you agree with his ridiculous assertion that we're locked into the 10th seed or worse for the next 5 years? Wow.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Playing in the hardest division in the NBA with 12 games against the Clips, Lakeshow and Dubs will be tough. It is what it is though.

I'd say if everything breaks our way then we could possibly play .500 ball. We'd have to be healthy all year and Rubio would need to fit in fairly immediately. With the learning curve of a new coach and with Booker/Ayton/Bridges basically the only 3 guys that were in the rotation all of last year I think it could be too much to ask though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:14 am
Playing in the hardest division in the NBA with 12 games against the Clips, Lakeshow and Dubs will be tough. It is what it is though.

I'd say if everything breaks our way then we could possibly play .500 ball. We'd have to be healthy all year and Rubio would need to fit in fairly immediately. With the learning curve of a new coach and with Booker/Ayton/Bridges basically the only 3 guys that were in the rotation all of last year I think it could be too much to ask though.
I'm thinking that's the absolutely best case. Worst case is right at about 30 wins. I'm hoping for between 35 and 41 wins.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 am
I'm thinking that's the absolutely best case. Worst case is right at about 30 wins. I'm hoping for between 35 and 41 wins.
That's probably where we'll be.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 am
So you agree with his ridiculous assertion that we're locked into the 10th seed or worse for the next 5 years? Wow.
I said no such thing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:22 am
Superbone wrote:
I said no such thing.
So what was your point in responding to his assertions?

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:22 am
Superbone wrote:
I said no such thing.
So what was your point in responding to his assertions?
My was exactly the one I made: don't blame the Kawhi/George team-up for the Suns' low ceiling. The Suns have done enough to the themselves to prevent themselves from contending, regardless what their competitors do.