Suns News: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Dan H

Re: Suns News: September

Post by Dan H »

The Bobster wrote:Dan Langhi really should be then end of the discussion!
I had to Google him, I couldn't even remember who the heck he was. How bad is that?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:"Beasley, Kendall Marshall, Warrick, Childress, Marcus Banks, Toby Bailey, Dijon Thompson, Alando Tucker, the Langhi..."

The Langhi definitely gets consideration. Shot 70% in practice, about 17% in games. Defense softer than the Stay-Puff man ...

<*ahem*>James Jones</*ahem*>

90% in practice, 5% in games (and 0% when shots were needed most).
More like +40% for 3s Swing.
Uh-uh, you aren't baiting me into an argument - not talking career numbers and not even talking season numbers here, Indy.

When the ball was in his hands and we needed a 3, I don't ever recall him hitting one of those shots. Not one.

My take on James Jones was well documented at the original site - I'm not going over this again with you or anyone else.....
That wasn't baiting. Those were his PHX numbers. Just under 41%, actually. A little higher than his career (which is just over 40%).

I know we had many a discussion about this in the past. Again, not baiting; just stating facts. :P
Okey doke - how's about stating his clutch numbers, then?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:
I had to Google him, I couldn't even remember who the heck he was. How bad is that?
I am really hoping that was either:
A) During your hiatus
B) Blocked from your memory due to how awful it was

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote: That wasn't baiting. Those were his PHX numbers. Just under 41%, actually. A little higher than his career (which is just over 40%).

I know we had many a discussion about this in the past. Again, not baiting; just stating facts. :P
Not sure where to find that or how that is determined. If you want to look at playoffs, it was an average 32% one year and an outstanding 50% the next.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:
Dan H wrote:
I am really hoping that was either:
A) During your hiatus
B) Blocked from your memory due to how awful it was
Gotta be 'B' - Dan was still around during the bulk of FJ's stint as head coach (2001-2003).

Indy

Post by Indy »

I thought so too.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote: That wasn't baiting. Those were his PHX numbers. Just under 41%, actually. A little higher than his career (which is just over 40%).

Not sure where to find that or how that is determined. If you want to look at playoffs, it was an average 32% one year and an outstanding 50% the next.
Ok, hold on - FIFTY PERCENT?

Lemme look that up to be sure.....

Indy

Post by Indy »

My bad--That was his first year in Miami. I skipped one year. He was 44.4% his 2nd year here in the playoffs. Sorry about that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:Banks sorta gets a bad rap. Phoenix had wanted John Salmons and seemingly had him almost signed before he backed off and signed with another team (Sacramento, I think). Suns management then signed Banks, overpaying him. He was more a small off guard than a PG and D'Antoni never forgave him for not being what he thought he should be.

He was Shannon Brown without the bounce ...
Shannon Brown without the bounce is a pretty bad pg.

I don't think that Banks got any sorta bad rap, it was well deserved and earned by him. If I remember correctly, he took a discount to play with the Suns and was commanding actually more money. Unfortunately for him, he was a low percentage chucker type of pg that couldn't pass with a low bballiq and his on the ball defense was overrated. He became an immediate liability on the floor in the SSOL offense and never regained footing in the NBA. On top of that, I listened to him bad mouth the Celtics management and never took responsibility for any of his own failures. He was resistant to improve his shooting and coaching from Phil Webber his first day in PHX. I don't know this for certain, because the coaching staff and management were pretty professional, but it was a face raking day and I think if they would have worked him out in that setting there prior to the signing, they wouldn't have offered him a contract. That whole problem of trading away the Rondo pick and then panicking to fix it and sign a pg was a hallmark of the early years of the Sarver ownership, IMO.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:My bad--That was his first year in Miami. I skipped one year. He was 44.4% his 2nd year here in the playoffs. Sorry about that.
No worries - I'm a bit surprised you didn't cite his 75% clip during 2012-2013. :lol:

The numbers tell but a fraction of the story.

You're right, though - there's not much in the way of looking up clutch numbers other than 4th quarter stuff and Jones was never good enough to warrant that type of run (D'Antoni's "7 Starters" bullshit nonwithstanding).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Jimmy Jackson belongs on a worst Suns list. He was a hero for us that first year, a super 6th man and occasional starter who gave a young team some veteran savvy and scoring. He fell off quickly after that year, probably due to all the mileage his old body sustained in the 7SOL system. No reason to hate on the guy for that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Anyone else notice Coro has been late to the game nearly all offseason, particularly when it comes to Eric Bledsoe news? Windhorst and Wojnarowski have beat him to the punch repeatedly, with Coro releasing an article 12 to 24 hours later essentially restating what those national guys already broke.
Coro reported about it at 9:37 pm tonight. Check the other thread.
That's my point. He comes rushing in after Woj already broke the story. And his article simply restates everything Woj reported.
All I'm saying it was 2.5 hours later, not 12-24. I don't think Coro ever scoops any of these guys like Woj. My guess is he's not allowed to. He's probably not allowed to report it until it breaks with his AZCentral/Suns connection.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Anyone else notice Coro has been late to the game nearly all offseason, particularly when it comes to Eric Bledsoe news? Windhorst and Wojnarowski have beat him to the punch repeatedly, with Coro releasing an article 12 to 24 hours later essentially restating what those national guys already broke.
Coro reported about it at 9:37 pm tonight. Check the other thread.
That's my point. He comes rushing in after Woj already broke the story. And his article simply restates everything Woj reported.
I think our front office is pretty tight-lipped. A lot of Woj's sources are agents and Coro doesn't have the same access to them. Woj also happens to be the best news-breaker in the business.

Windhorst's Minnesota story was almost definitely a leak from Rich Paul's camp.
This too.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:Phoenix had wanted John Salmons and seemingly had him almost signed before he backed off and signed with another team (Sacramento, I think).
If I remember correctly, God told him to sign with Sacramento instead.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't think Jimmy Jackson belongs on a worst Suns list. He was a hero for us that first year, a super 6th man and occasional starter who gave a young team some veteran savvy and scoring. He fell off quickly after that year, probably due to all the mileage his old body sustained in the 7SOL system. No reason to hate on the guy for that.
I've never seen a player age so rapidly as Jim Jackson during the 2005 off-season.....

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:I don't understand the Hot Rod hate. I can understand hating the trade that brought him here (not his fault), and being frustrated with his injuries (also not his fault), but he played well for us and didn't have character issues. He doesn't deserve to be on the list.
Agreed.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

82games has some clutch stats, and one can get James Jones' numbers from his Suns days if he cares enough.

Jimmy Jackson, alias 'I am a veteran, I don't need...' was not bad, just totally lost it, and he did nothing on the Lakers.

Marcus Banks was the biggest FO mistake during the Nash-D'Antoni era. He got a stupid contract at a time where the owner was still too cost conscious and didn't value properly cheap assets like draft picks.

Hedo still makes me sick.

I don't get the hate Vince Carter gets.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I don't get the hate Vince Carter gets.
He was lackadaisical and just going through the motions.

SDC

Post by SDC »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Not exactly. They also got rid of Gilliam, who was a turnstyle on defense. Rambis wasn't that great, its just amazing how much a little bit of defense makes. Rambis was also an effective rebounder and knew how to start the break. Gilliam would rebound but then hold the ball till everything cleared. He was a break-stopper.
Rambis was an intangibles guy, did a little bit of everything. He wasnt really that great of a defender, but was not a slacker on defense. He was a starter for the showtime lakers for a couple of years before moving to the suns.

I think what rambis gave the suns was (mental) toughness.

other data:
1) suns never won a playoff series vs laker until 1990
2) suns had a losing streak at the forum dating back to 1984.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/08/sport ... ctory.html
3) the suns were rebuilding from the drug scandal problems just 2 yrs prior.
4) magic was mvp of the regular season, and pat riley COTY in 1990. long time laker coach Riley quit the lakers after losing to the suns.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Not exactly. They also got rid of Gilliam, who was a turnstyle on defense. Rambis wasn't that great, its just amazing how much a little bit of defense makes. Rambis was also an effective rebounder and knew how to start the break. Gilliam would rebound but then hold the ball till everything cleared. He was a break-stopper.
other data:
1) suns never won a playoff series vs laker until 1990
2) suns had a losing streak at the forum dating back to 1984.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/08/sport ... ctory.html
3) the suns were rebuilding from the drug scandal problems just 2 yrs prior.
4) magic was mvp of the regular season, and pat riley COTY in 1990. long time laker coach Riley quit the lakers after losing to the suns.
how does any of that show that Rambis is a top 20 all-time Sun?

Sent using Tapatalk