Eric Bledsoe [RFA]

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Eric Bledsoe [RFA]

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Well, no, they didn't "cave in" any more than Bledsoe "caved in" by not getting the max.

This is what happens when you negotiate a deal - both sides usually find a point in the middle where they can compromise and be happy, or the deal doesn't get done.

And while I think we're all hesitant on the length of the deal, keep in mind that the Suns and their medical staff know more about the condition of his knee than anyone. Apparently it doesn't bother them like Stoudemire's knee did.
Good points.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
The Bobster wrote: And while I think we're all hesitant on the length of the deal, keep in mind that the Suns and their medical staff know more about the condition of his knee than anyone.
Exactly. Bledsoe hasn't missed any significant time as a Sun.
I think I read somewhere that sarcasm should be written in green.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Eric Bledsoe wrote:#wewriteouronchapter
You sure did, Eric.
What's an "on chapter"? Better than off, I guess.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You sure did, Eric.
own

Sent using Tapatalk

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I wasn't sure what to think of the contract at first, but I think I like it. Hear me out.

What is Bledsoe's trade value at 14mm/year? Not all that great. However, I suspect that the contract will be front-loaded, at the max this year but declining every year afterwards. Assuming that this is the contract, he'd become a very nice trading chip in summer 2015 assuming that he stays healthy.

If Archie or any of the other young guards show development this year, then Bledsoe becomes a very nice trading chip. If DragonBlade + Isaiah kick some major ass, Bledsoe becomes part of the core and the young guys get packaged together for a decent to good big in the Horford range. This gives the Suns a ton of flexibility, which has been the word of the day under McDonough.

The risk for the Suns is that of Bledsoe blowing his knees out over the next year. The risk for Bledsoe is that he can get traded to Milwaukee or some other basketball purgatory.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You sure did, Eric.
own

Sent using Tapatalk
Yeah, it was a joke. Eric is missing the 'w'.

"Be Legendary."

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

virtual9mm wrote:I wasn't sure what to think of the contract at first, but I think I like it. Hear me out.

What is Bledsoe's trade value at 14mm/year? Not all that great. However, I suspect that the contract will be front-loaded, at the max this year but declining every year afterwards. Assuming that this is the contract, he'd become a very nice trading chip in summer 2015 assuming that he stays healthy.

If Archie or any of the other young guards show development this year, then Bledsoe becomes a very nice trading chip. If DragonBlade + Isaiah kick some major ass, Bledsoe becomes part of the core and the young guys get packaged together for a decent to good big in the Horford range. This gives the Suns a ton of flexibility, which has been the word of the day under McDonough.

The risk for the Suns is that of Bledsoe blowing his knees out over the next year. The risk for Bledsoe is that he can get traded to Milwaukee or some other basketball purgatory.
I like your optimism and the fresh perspective. Hopefully the contract is indeed front-loaded ...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You sure did, Eric.
own

Sent using Tapatalk
you didn't use the green text.

Sent using Tapatalk

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
you didn't use the green text.

Sent using Tapatalk
:D
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:you didn't use the green text.
My name is green. Think of it as green by default. ;)

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:My name is green.
Any relation to Gerald?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:My name is green.
Any relation to Gerald?
Heh heh. :)

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

count me in the camp that's ... well, again, ambivalent on the contract. 14 is not terrible, no idea if it's front-loaded or if it has team/player options, but overall 5/70 is a lot more palatable than 5/84. indy mentions not wanting to pay 2 point guards 25-30 mil, but given that this is how we play the game, how about that the primary pieces of a fairly well-proven back court at under 40 mil? in this, i'm assuming that next year goran will get a similar contract to bledsoe's at 14 or so per, which makes 28 between the two of them, with 7 going to thomas, and then some rookie scale contracts to the rest of the players. if the salary cap does indeed go up to 80 mil and/or bledsoe's contract is front loaded, i can live with this. i'd be more worried with the morris brothers' contracts at this point. at least bledsoe is special talent and most of the questions around him are his health; whereas the morris brothers are role players even as a best case scenario. if we do not have a difference maker in the front court, i'd be hesitant to commit a lot of money to them. this is somewhat along Inf's line of thinking, where while McD has made a number of good moves to build a quality team, we don't particularly seem to be headed towards true contention. not saying that i doubt McD yet, i'm willing to give this another year or so.

so all in all, i am glad that eric bledsoe is locked up, and i'm now looking forward to seeing how we manage this clogged back court of ours.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

pickle wrote:no idea if it's front-loaded or if it has team/player options, but overall 5/70 is a lot more palatable than 5/84.
From what I've read, it's not front-loaded.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Year One: $13,000,000
Year Two: $13,500,000
Year Three:$14,000,000
Year Four: $14,500,000
Year Five: $15,000,000
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:Year One: $13,000,000
Year Two: $13,500,000
Year Three:$14,000,000
Year Four: $14,500,000
Year Five: $15,000,000
yeah, read this in the standalone thread following my post. this set up, i simply do not understand. if there's anything about this contract that upsets me, it's that we didn't take advantage of our salary cap situation and front loaded this thing so that we can have more to work with a couple of years down the line.

oh well.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:Well, no, they didn't "cave in" any more than Bledsoe "caved in" by not getting the max.

This is what happens when you negotiate a deal - both sides usually find a point in the middle where they can compromise and be happy, or the deal doesn't get done.

And while I think we're all hesitant on the length of the deal, keep in mind that the Suns and their medical staff know more about the condition of his knee than anyone. Apparently it doesn't bother them like Stoudemire's knee did.
This is absolutely the key point, in my opinion. They are human and can make mistakes, but if they think Bledsoe structurally can play those five years, I am happy that this soap opera has finally ended and the Suns have retained a high quality player.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I think the deal is fine. Both sides met in the middle and if it wasn't for the fifth year, it would be like 4 years $55 million, which I think most people would have been fine with. I am trusting the medical staff in their evaluation if they gave him a straight 5 year deal.

And if I'm not mistaken, I don't think it changes our ability to max Dragic out with a 5 year deal if needed. I thought that you could only offer one five year max deal per team, and since this isn't a max, it doesn't apply. But, I could be wrong so someone with better knowledge of the CBA, feel free to correct me.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Goran can get his 5 years.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
The Bobster wrote: And while I think we're all hesitant on the length of the deal, keep in mind that the Suns and their medical staff know more about the condition of his knee than anyone.
Exactly. Bledsoe hasn't missed any significant time as a Sun.
that's why the suns got IT. just in case...