Suns News: Week 8 12/9-12/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Suns News: Week 8 12/9-12/15

Post by Drewsprocket »

Can anyone tell me what Rubio said recently about “trades?” I can’t access the most recent azcentral article.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:06 am
Can anyone tell me what Rubio said recently about “trades?” I can’t access the most recent azcentral article.
Short paraphrase is "this is trade season, so guys get a call from their agent saying they need to score more points. But we need to play unselfishly as a team." He was clearly calling out selfish play, but he didn't call anyone out by name.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've been meaning to post a link to that and it definitely flew under the radar.

King's article broke it down well I thought as to whom Ricky could've been talking about. A few different scenarios might be playing out so we'll just have to see. There may be something to Baynes, he's been off since returning from injury and there was Monty at first bringing him off the bench, then starting him again. Maybe he thinks he's earned a starting role? Could be showcasing the young guards now, keeping Tyler healthy at the same time. Even so, I don't feel like anyone's been overtly selfish or chucking or looking for their own.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I was in a grocery store the other day and saw Mikal Bridges' picture on the back of a milk carton ....
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Booker is only taking 5.3 three pt attempts per game. Too low?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ede01.html

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:46 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:06 am
Short paraphrase is "this is trade season, so guys get a call from their agent saying they need to score more points. But we need to play unselfishly as a team." He was clearly calling out selfish play, but he didn't call anyone out by name.
Thank you. Makes sense, glad he’s calling attention to it. Too many players on their last year. The team needs better lineup stability and / or another veteran to hold it down. Ayton has really messed up what should be a massive comeback. Let’s hope team chemistry holds up.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Is there any point getting another energy forward to fill the end of the bench given the Saric Kaminsky defense is unwatchable.
Faried and miles plumlee are available. Limited players but fills a need at the end of the bench

Also would anyone be keen to get ish Smith as a backup pg and clear up the infinite numbers of tier 3 backups we have currently

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:04 am
Is there any point getting another energy forward to fill the end of the bench given the Saric Kaminsky defense is unwatchable.
Faried and miles plumlee are available. Limited players but fills a need at the end of the bench

Also would anyone be keen to get ish Smith as a backup pg and clear up the infinite numbers of tier 3 backups we have currently
I think we have that energy forward in Diallo, but Coach just needs to play him. As for a backup PG, I wouldn't mind it since Coach seems to have lost trust in our backup PGs, too. Okobo, Jerome, Johnson, it isn't clear which one he sees as the primary backup PG.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:02 am
Danimal wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:04 am

I think we have that energy forward in Diallo, but Coach just needs to play him. As for a backup PG, I wouldn't mind it since Coach seems to have lost trust in our backup PGs, too. Okobo, Jerome, Johnson, it isn't clear which one he sees as the primary backup PG.
I’m all for more Diallo. Does anyone know what coach doesn’t like about his game?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't see all that much energy or athleticism from Diallo. Certainly not in the category of a Holmes, Faried, Jeremy Grant, etc. He's looked better of late and provides some presence inside plus a nice shooting touch. Still, I've been very curious as to why he hasn't seen more minutes with our issues up front.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Diallo looks tentative on the court, much of the time.

Guys like Holmes and Faried come into the game and play as if they've just had a quart of Red Bull ... very high work rates.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:15 am
Diallo looks tentative on the court, much of the time.

Guys like Holmes and Faried come into the game and play as if they've just had a quart of Red Bull ... very high work rates.
I think he initially plays like he is worried about getting pulled. If he gets some easy buckets early you see the energy.
Part of that is coaching. You could just tell him you’ve got 6 fouls now go out there and fuck shit up, you’re not here to make friends

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'd like to know the thinking behind letting Holmes go. I guess it makes sense that they thought they were replacing him with Baynes and didn't count on Ayton's fiasco of a season thus far.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:30 am
I'd like to know the thinking behind letting Holmes go. I guess it makes sense that they thought they were replacing him with Baynes and didn't count on Ayton's fiasco of a season thus far.
Pretty much. Saw Baynes as a more fundamental guy who would be a solid backup. But I do miss Holmes

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The weed arrest may have had something to do with it. But a lot of FOs typically don't value the energy/hustle guys and figure they're all replaceable, tho I felt Holmes brought more than that. Jones and the FO likely saw Baynes as the rebounder/enforcer, gave Frank the MLE to be the stretch guy and signed Diallo to the minimum to be the energy/hustle guy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, makes sense. Too bad we couldn't keep Holmes instead of Diallo. Holmes got the same deal as Frank, right? Was there a contract reason we couldn't have both? And yeah, I'm sure the weed arrest entered into it.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

To be fair, Frank is playing out of position and is performing poorly outside his skillset. I’d give him the benefit of a doubt. It’s plausible that being overmatched on D and increased expectations are messing with him. He’s playable on a more stable front court. It wasn’t until Baynes and Ayton went down that he really crashed.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And to be fair, Frank isn't very good.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wish we would go after KAT. I'd trade Ayton, Tyler Johnson, our first-round pick, and filler.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/plat ... ade-rumors

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:27 pm
I wish we would go after KAT. I'd trade Ayton, Tyler Johnson, our first-round pick, and filler.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/plat ... ade-rumors
No brainer.

"Be Legendary."