Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Post by Superbone »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Superbone wrote:Who was the poster that used to come on once a year and say... (Dang! I can't even remember what it was now.) Something about Kidd? Nash? I can't even remember.
PLM (was he a bot?) used to post with about the same frequency with the the 0 &__ schtick; though that's probably not who you're thinking of.
No, I think that's it. Thanks. I was getting that confused though as that was the same thing the "original troll" used to say.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

No worries, twas the cause of my confusion as well.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:SpecialSauce?
He posts on here..

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:Paul panks!

The main thing I remember from him was his saying that John paxon's three pointer was worse than one of his family members dying. Good times.
Wasn't he obsessed about a scoop of ice cream in his Guiness?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:I still remember when 'Bazz first joined and I told him I wanted to subscribe to his newsletter. :D
I don't remember that at all.
Yeah, you had a well laid out detailed post.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
He posts on here..
Didn't he used to be controversial? He was going to ASU at the time. Or was that dark something?

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:I still remember when 'Bazz first joined and I told him I wanted to subscribe to his newsletter. :D
My post game was strong back then. I'm running on fumes like Steve Nash these days in my old age.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
My post game was strong back then. I'm running on fumes like Steve Nash these days in my old age.
Those were the days! :D

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
He posts on here..
Didn't he used to be controversial? He was going to ASU at the time. Or was that dark something?
Yeah that was SS

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Hey 'Bone, you didn't by chance watch the Key & Peele "Family Matters" sketch recently did you?
So, I watched the sketch online to see what you were talking about. You know that phrase is as old as dirt, right? It dates back to 1422.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_king_i ... e_the_king!

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Yes of course but it's not said much anymore & I had just heard it on the show for the first time in forever.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Superbone wrote:Who was the poster that used to come on once a year and say... (Dang! I can't even remember what it was now.) Something about Kidd? Nash? I can't even remember.
PLM (was he a bot?) used to post with about the same frequency with the the 0 &__ schtick; though that's probably not who you're thinking of.
No, I think that's it. Thanks. I was getting that confused though as that was the same thing the "original troll" used to say.
Wasn't there a troll that talked like Beeg Jake all the time?

And a something Jazzy guy from the Jazz boards or something?

was there anyone like.. plug in or something?

i didn't post much back then, i just had dial up internet and it was way too annoying.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I remember the Jazzy guy and yeah, Plug In. I was thinking he was the same guy as PLM but maybe not.

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Too many memories... I was also with you guys on the original move from azcentral. I started posting around 1998, when I was 13. I became a lurker for a year or so when the site moved for a second time and we had to re-register. But in 16 years, I've read every NBA-related phxsuns.net post. Never attended one of the get-togethers, but one gets attached, ya know?

Long live phx-suns.net!

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Crazy to think that I joined in May 2004 while I was a junior in college who had nothing better to do than talk about the Suns and drink :lol:

I haven't posted regularly in a long time because of life changes-buying a house, getting my MBA, getting married, etc. But, I will start making more of an attempt, especially once the season gets going. The Blanks era sapped the life out of me for awhile as well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BigLewy wrote:The Blanks era sapped the life out of me for awhile as well.
Join the club.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Look on the bright side.

At least you guys didnt have to read my fury every time Gerald Green did something that pissed me off last year!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There was some discussion on another thread about whether Sose was a jerk for letting the old phxsuns.net site die off. My take: He made the old site from scratch. He not only bought a domain name (like I've now done), but he also wired up the server box itself and administered it. The physical site was located under some desk at his work, and he personally took care of it and kept it running. That's more than I do. I just pay a company "DreamHost" to run a box for me. If the thing goes down in the middle of the night, that's their problem. Sose was the one on call for his site. My understanding is that the server box started giving out; the disk or database or something started failing. He had to personally pull the thing apart and figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. Sometimes we lost data or posts from 1-2 days while it was being repaired. Over the years, he bought new parts and upgrades for the server (sometimes with the help of donations) to keep the box running.

At some point, the server just went kaput and the old site went down, not to return. In many ways, it's amazing that the same server box kept running for a decade without exploding sooner. Folks were bummed that it was down, but to bring it back, Sose would have had to find and buy a new box with his own money, install all of the necessary software, get the thing back up and running, configure the heck out of it, and even then, there were no backups of the posting history or database, so all the users would have had to re-register, all the old messages would be gone, etc. My understanding was that he had also had a busy time in his personal life, getting married, having kids, and so on. The site had been a pet project for years, and it was not the most important thing in his life any longer.

I also think that it becomes kind of a thankless job running a site at times. Less so for me on this version of the site, but I administer some other servers for my work at Stanford/UW. It's really annoying when it goes down at 3am and you have to get up and fix it, sometimes by driving in to the box. Then you get spammers, hackers, attackers, failing hardware and software, data loss, backup problems, running out of resources like disk space or memory. You get posters making offensive threads or messages, hurting or harassing each other, mods fighting, people calling for the site owner/admin to do something. Sometimes it isn't work that you really want to do, and it's all time-sensitive. (Just to be clear, I don't have to do those kinds of things for this site; the hardware and software are maintained for me. This site is cheap and easy to keep running and not a source of stress for me at all.)

Then there's the fact that the actual Phoenix Suns organization actually threatened to sue Sose. They discovered that he was using the team's logos, colors, names, player photos, etc. all over the site (often just in users' avatars/sigs, but still), along with some colorful / offensive content related to the team (some of which was posted by one Mori_Chu). The team got mad at him, partly because it was egg on their face, and partly because the site's name kind of implied that the board might be in some way officially affiliated with the team. So they sent him some kind of cease-and-desist letter to stop using their trademarks and logos. They had every right to do that, but it's just another source of stress and frustration. "I run this site for free, I jump out of bed to fix it, and now I'm going to get sued because of it?" Etc.

When the site finally exploded, I think Sose had just had enough. He didn't want the daily grind of maintaining it any more, but he also didn't want to publicly announce that he had abandoned it and get attacked and criticized by the former posters. I think he just said "F it" and walked away. I'm sad that he did that, but in a way I understand.

I wish he had dealt with it differently, that he had communicated with us and helped us transition. I wish he'd set his phxsuns.net domain to forward to this site. But I don't want to be upset with him. He gave us a lot of his own time, sweat, and money to build a wonderful community of fans. I checked his site literally every day for over a decade, and there was always enjoyable content there and great people to talk to. I thank him for that.

After a few months of the site being down, I decided to make a new site to try to recreate some of the community from the old one. Sadly not everyone from the old place has found this one, but it's amazing to me how many of the old gang are here (along with lots of great new members). Everything about the awesome community here is thanks to Sose and the original phxsuns.net. I'll never forget that.

Sose is a good dude and a true Suns fan. I hope he's doing well and I wish him the best. Three cheers for Sose! And RIP, old phxsuns.net. Thanks for the memories.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I always assumed PLM was someone's sock puppet.

Anyone want to own up to it? ;)