Game Day (Exhibition): Spurs @ Suns, Thurs 10/16/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day (Exhibition): Spurs @ Suns, Thurs 10/16/14

Post by Mori Chu »

That apology was a very "neo-Sarver" thing to do. He's a new man! He's not cheap any more, he cares a ton about the fans and the product on the floor, he'll do what it takes to win, etc.

And yet, he doesn't get that holding out star players from a shitty meaningless preseason game is one of many small things the Spurs do to maximize their chance to win a championship. And they're right to do it. You can't call out a team for doing what they SHOULD do to win a title. It just makes Sarver look like he doesn't understand how the NBA really works.

Pop's comeback was just perfect. He made a snide remark about the flapping chicken gesture Sarver did back in the day, which was also similarly dumb on Sarver's part. Pop is no chicken and has never been the slightest bit afraid of some small town real estate guy who lucked into an NBA team that has never won a title.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Winning their rings off the back of the best power forward ever to play the game. The same player who Pop tanked for as the GM of the Spurs. He ain't no saint, and neither are they.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Mori Chu wrote:That apology was a very "neo-Sarver" thing to do. He's a new man! He's not cheap any more, he cares a ton about the fans and the product on the floor, he'll do what it takes to win, etc.

And yet, he doesn't get that holding out star players from a shitty meaningless preseason game is one of many small things the Spurs do to maximize their chance to win a championship. And they're right to do it. You can't call out a team for doing what they SHOULD do to win a title. It just makes Sarver look like he doesn't understand how the NBA really works.

Pop's comeback was just perfect. He made a snide remark about the flapping chicken gesture Sarver did back in the day, which was also similarly dumb on Sarver's part. Pop is no chicken and has never been the slightest bit afraid of some small town real estate guy who lucked into an NBA team that has never won a title.
Well said, and thank you.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Pips

Post by Pips »

Mori Chu wrote:Pop is no chicken and has never been the slightest bit afraid of some small town real estate guy who lucked into an NBA team that has never won a title.
Body check was quickly forgoten?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Pop is no chicken and has never been the slightest bit afraid of some small town real estate guy who lucked into an NBA team that has never won a title.
Banker.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11725 ... ert-sarver

Gregg Popovich jabs at Suns owner
Popovich wrote:As I said, the silliness begins. Most wise individuals would check facts before they made statements; unless you're interested in putting on a show. In that case, the facts get in your way, as in this case.
Tons of Spurs fans commenting of course.

I liked this guy's comment though:
Paul Brunell · Top Commenter · Texas A&M University
I agree with both guys. Why does the Sun's owner making that statement have to be taken personally by Popovich? If the Suns owner makes a statement, good for him. And if he wants to make something up to his fans, good for him. Popovich likely should not have responded… he certainly has a right to rest his players and not show up. So why can't both men be right and not take it personally?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Popovich wrote:As I said, the silliness begins. Most wise individuals would check facts before they made statements; unless you're interested in putting on a show. In that case, the facts get in your way, as in this case.
How did Sarver get any facts wrong? He said, "This is not the game you paid your hard-earned money to see." That's a true statement. He didn't explicitly criticize Pop or his decisions. He was addressing the fans' perspective. They had legitimate reason to feel disappointed, and he said he wanted to make it up to them with a gift. What's wrong with that?

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote: How did Sarver get any facts wrong? He said, "This is not the game you paid your hard-earned money to see." That's a true statement. He didn't explicitly criticize Pop or his decisions. He was addressing the fans' perspective. They had legitimate reason to feel disappointed, and he said he wanted to make it up to them with a gift. What's wrong with that?
My only issue is kind of making a spectacle of it. He could have did it after the game, but I guess he wanted to spread the word as much as possible. Just... make it about the team and the fans, not yourself.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's kind of my takeaway. His intentions were good, but he just as easily could have had the PA announcer address the fans with the message. After the game would've been harder as fans are leaving and not paying attention. I thought maybe something on the website the next day but people throw their ticket stubs away. You kind of have to make the announcement then and there. But again, the PA announcer could have done it just the same. Sarver likes taking shots at the Spurs it seems.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Owners in many businesses send personal messages in such situations. Pop is the one who is out of line. Period.

They didn't have to bring their starters. That is fine. But there is nothing wrong with Sarver rewarding fans for a disappointing game--sort of like a rain refund.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If you want to give the fans their money's worth in the preseason, do what they used to do back in the '60s, '70s and '80s - schedule preseason doubleheaders when you play at home.

It used to be a lot of the games were farmed out. In their first two years the Suns played preseason games throughout Arizona in Miami, Mesa and Flagstaff as well as playing neutral site games in places like Salt Lake City and Shreveport.

It seems the league wants to wring as much money out of it as they can.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11725 ... ert-sarver

Gregg Popovich jabs at Suns owner
Tons of Spurs fans commenting of course.

I agree with both guys. Why does the Sun's owner making that statement have to be taken personally by Popovich? If the Suns owner makes a statement, good for him. And if he wants to make something up to his fans, good for him. Popovich likely should not have responded… he certainly has a right to rest his players and not show up. So why can't both men be right and not take it personally?
Agreed 100% -- Pop has a right to hold out his players, and Sarver has a right to make a statement to the fans. PR stunt or not, I like the attitude this conveys. If Pop feels like he needs to make a statement, so be it -- but I would have shut my mouth.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC wrote:That's kind of my takeaway. His intentions were good, but he just as easily could have had the PA announcer address the fans with the message. After the game would've been harder as fans are leaving and not paying attention. I thought maybe something on the website the next day but people throw their ticket stubs away. You kind of have to make the announcement then and there. But again, the PA announcer could have done it just the same. Sarver likes taking shots at the Spurs it seems.
i like it that it got popovich seeing red and steaming mad. the stunt worked.

Oct. 31, mark that date. ;)

SDC

Post by SDC »

sarver should be thankful the spurs even bothered to play parker in that game. it could have been the big three sitting that game out.
Last edited by SDC on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

what i love about this is The Narrative

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:That apology was a very "neo-Sarver" thing to do. He's a new man! He's not cheap any more, he cares a ton about the fans and the product on the floor, he'll do what it takes to win, etc.

I think that Sarver is starting to 'get it' but he still has a little ways to go. Unfortunately, he should have apologized to all of us fans for the crappy decisions he made when he first started being an owner that most likely cost the Suns a chance at a title. "Youth is wasted on the young", I think this applies to our owner too. At least he is getting better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnatio ... at-sarver/
“We had five guys we didn’t send. Patty Mills had a shoulder operation over the summer. Tiago Splitter (calf) has been out the whole preseason. Kawhi Leonard (eye infection) was out and is still out for 10 more days. The other two, Duncan and Ginobili, are two of the oldest guys in the league who just came back from a 13-day European trip.

“The only thing that surprises me is that he didn’t say it in a chicken suit. I’ll just leave it at that.”
Pop is kind of an asshole.
And yet he's right and completely justified in that response.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnatio ... at-sarver/
“We had five guys we didn’t send. Patty Mills had a shoulder operation over the summer. Tiago Splitter (calf) has been out the whole preseason. Kawhi Leonard (eye infection) was out and is still out for 10 more days. The other two, Duncan and Ginobili, are two of the oldest guys in the league who just came back from a 13-day European trip.

“The only thing that surprises me is that he didn’t say it in a chicken suit. I’ll just leave it at that.”
Pop is kind of an asshole.
And yet he's right and completely justified in that response.
The chicken suit thing is a bit sophomoric. But, hey, he can say what he wants.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote: And yet he's right and completely justified in that response.
I don't think so, no. The message was to the fans. He didn't say anything about Pop directly. Pop could have easily taken the high road, but that isn't the type of guy that he is. I'm kind of surprised the Spurs owner didn't get involved actually.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:
Quoted for truth, there can't be a more true statement, in so many ways.