2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:I never fill out a bracket. I don't feel like I know enough to fill one out competently for all the teams and I hate to just guess. This wouldn't be a bad year to pick U of A to go all the way, though. :-)
You do know about Warren Buffet's billion dollar prize split among everybody that picks a perfect bracket, right?

Yes, billion with a 'b'. Of course nobody will do it. But let's make a pact right now that if any of us do it, we're buying the Suns and we all get season tickets for life.
Idk, doesn't someone usually win one over at the ESPN challenge? This will have way more entries with as much publicity as it is getting. Someone will win the thing. The odds of doing it are way less than winning the lottery I think.
No, nobody will win. The odds are 1 in 9 quintillion if totally random guesses and 1 in 128 billion if every one of the 15 million entries were done by an expert. No one in recorded history has done it. Read about it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/6410185/

However, there will be 20 $100,000 prizes awarded to the 20 best entries. So it's not all for naught.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

The odds are 1 in 9 quintillion if totally random guesses and 1 in 128 billion if every one of the 15 million entries were done by an expert
So you're telling me there's a chance?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gladiator wrote:
The odds are 1 in 9 quintillion if totally random guesses and 1 in 128 billion if every one of the 15 million entries were done by an expert
Well, maybe not for you. US citizens only. :)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Superbone wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Well, maybe not for you. US citizens only. :)
Damn! Although we're practically the 51st US state .... can I get in on a technicality?

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:I never fill out a bracket. I don't feel like I know enough to fill one out competently for all the teams and I hate to just guess. This wouldn't be a bad year to pick U of A to go all the way, though. :-)
You do know about Warren Buffet's billion dollar prize split among everybody that picks a perfect bracket, right?

Yes, billion with a 'b'. Of course nobody will do it. But let's make a pact right now that if any of us do it, we're buying the Suns and we all get season tickets for life.
That's the spirit! :)

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Gladiator wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I forget which thread this discussion was in, but here's a pretty reasonable solution to the draft lottery/ tanking issue:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/21/55328 ... ing-reform

carey

Post by carey »

I'm starting the "draft Elfrid Payton" with the Pacers pick bandwagon if anyone wants on. I think he's exactly what we are lacking as far as guards go. Someone that can come in & lock opposing PGs down and distribute the ball. Would be a great pairing with Goodwin imo. In this scenario we would let both Barbosa & Ish go. Depends on what we do with our first pick. Will Harrell still be there at 17? If we draft LaVine at 21 we probably don't select another G at 28.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

If you pair him with Archie, the backcourt would be zero threat from the outside, if anything he seems a bit redundant with Goodwin. I'd prefer a guy like Markel Brown.

Harrell could be there at 17, he doesn't have much in the way of an offensive repertoire and he's a terrible FT shooter.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:If you pair him with Archie, the backcourt would be zero threat from the outside, if anything he seems a bit redundant with Goodwin. I'd prefer a guy like Markel Brown.

Harrell could be there at 17, he doesn't have much in the way of an offensive repertoire and he's a terrible FT shooter.
I expect Goodwin to be significantly improved in that department next season. But if not, you could be right.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gambo and Burns were talking today about the NBA Draft and the U of A. They said something that I found interesting, in that they talked like they are the first to report this or notice this. They said that when it's all said and done in 10 years, we will be talking about how Ronde Hollis-Jefferson may end up being the best pro from the team. He may end up being a lottery pick this year.

I feel like they are about 4-5 months late with this news. I believe that I said this same thing in late Nov. or early Dec., but I also said that he needs to come back, because he doesn't have the feel for the game yet.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Also, Gambo loves himself some DeAndre Kane from Iowa State, even though he is only 6 months younger than Derrick Rose. 24 yrs old, and 25 yrs old by the Draft.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

As a general rule, I'm pretty opposed to drafting anyone over 23. Kane is older than James Harden.

I'm pretty comfortable running in to next season with the same core backcourt (Dragic, Bledsoe, Green, Goodwin). I think our 3/4 spots need the biggest upgrades.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm w/Bazz, Kane would be much more intriguing as a 21 yr old. Now he could be a late bloomer but I don't know that I'd take a 25 yr old on draft night. At least not in the 1st.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:Gambo and Burns were talking today about the NBA Draft and the U of A. They said something that I found interesting, in that they talked like they are the first to report this or notice this. They said that when it's all said and done in 10 years, we will be talking about how Ronde Hollis-Jefferson may end up being the best pro from the team. He may end up being a lottery pick this year.

I feel like they are about 4-5 months late with this news. I believe that I said this same thing in late Nov. or early Dec., but I also said that he needs to come back, because he doesn't have the feel for the game yet.
I actually, I said it, In2. ;)

But yeah, I think RHJ could be a stud. He's strong, athletic, and has terrific ability to get to the rim. Problem is, he has no perimeter game to speak of right now.

I would prefer that he stay in school, but if he comes out, I'd still be interested in him. Talking about drafting him in the lotto seems a little silly though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:Gambo and Burns were talking today about the NBA Draft and the U of A. They said something that I found interesting, in that they talked like they are the first to report this or notice this. They said that when it's all said and done in 10 years, we will be talking about how Ronde Hollis-Jefferson may end up being the best pro from the team. He may end up being a lottery pick this year.

I actually, I said it, In2. ;)

But yeah, I think RHJ could be a stud. He's strong, athletic, and has terrific ability to get to the rim. Problem is, he has no perimeter game to speak of right now.

I would prefer that he stay in school, but if he comes out, I'd still be interested in him. Talking about drafting him in the lotto seems a little silly though.
Wow, ok. I could have sworn I said it, but I certainly don't doubt that you did.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I was just messing with you, In2. I'm not saying you didn't say it; frankly I don't know. But I did say it over on the RealGM boards, and you chimed in to say that RHJ didn't have enough skill and needed to go back to school.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I've been kind of out of the loop for a while. It feels weird having to ask this but...

Our cap situation is good, right? It looks like we can keep the team together, use the draft picks, and still afford an impact free agent. Who's on our shopping list?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Cap wrote:I've been kind of out of the loop for a while. It feels weird having to ask this but...

Our cap situation is good, right? It looks like we can keep the team together, use the draft picks, and still afford an impact free agent. Who's on our shopping list?
Not exactly sure how to assess our cap/FA situation.

Okafor and his $14+ million are coming off the books at season's end and we have additional room beyond that, but time's coming up for Bledsoe's deal/match. In addition to that, P.J. Tucker's deal is up and, after 2 years of solid play, he'll likely be looking for a payday. And then there's the Morris twins, who may get extensions this off-season.

And this is not counting a possible draft pick(s) salaries.

We've been linked to Kevin Love, but there may be up to a whole year more before that situation plays itself out.

Anyone got league standard cap numbers (NBA salary cap, tax threshold etc.) handy?

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote: Anyone got league standard cap numbers (NBA salary cap, tax threshold etc.) handy?
It's a bit late and I'm tired, but tomorrow I'll get up a salary cap post and sticky it for the season.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!