Game Day: Kings (4-1) @ Suns (3-2), Fri 11/07/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Kings (4-1) @ Suns (3-2), Fri 11/07/14

Post by carey »

I predicted .500 at the end of the season. I also said we could push 50 if everything broke our way. So far nothing really is except for Markieff's play but he fouled out when we needed him last night. Len needs to quit worrying about his damn hand. I constantly see him messing with the bandage and favoring it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

carey wrote:I predicted .500 at the end of the season. I also said we could push 50 if everything broke our way. So far nothing really is except for Markieff's play but he fouled out when we needed him last night. Len needs to quit worrying about his damn hand. I constantly see him messing with the bandage and favoring it.
I see way too much one-on-one basketball as the result of very ineffective screen-n-rolls.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

And horrible, horrible shot selection when Dragic is out. Especially from Gerald Green.

I would happily trade Green to the Lakers for Ed Davis. :)

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

What a huge let down. I just finished watching it this morning. I would have like to see more Gerald Green at the end because the offense just died and Bled and Goran couldnt create heir own.

Im ok moving Plumlee for something else. Dudes just never going to develop quick enough to be of use to us. He may end up being a Robin Lopez in terms of developing but we cant afford to develop both Len and Plumlee if we expect to win more games now
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

djy2j wrote:What a huge let down. I just finished watching it this morning. I would have like to see more Gerald Green at the end because the offense just died and Bled and Goran couldnt create heir own.

Im ok moving Plumlee for something else. Dudes just never going to develop quick enough to be of use to us. He may end up being a Robin Lopez in terms of developing but we cant afford to develop both Len and Plumlee if we expect to win more games now
Or..... we can't afford to put all the emphasis on winning now if we hope to develop players for the long term.

And last night Green was creating plenty of shots for himself, he just wasn't making any of them.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

If we had last years Goran, I think we'd be fine. Nobody has been able to consistently get good shots but Thomas, and maybe Kieff.

carey

Post by carey »

I do think Goran is suffering from a lack of a pop threat on the pick and roll. There isn't as much space as usual. I expect him to adjust as the season goes on. Especially his jumper which has been mediocre so far. We have seen these stretches of poor shooting from him before.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Split T wrote:We're at roughly 58 million, salary cap is 63 million

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/
Thanks, T.

Ok - come the 15th, start at Thomas, Tolliver and our lotto-protected pick for Horford. Bump it up with our rights to Alec Brown or the two 2nd rounders from Minnesota, maybe.

EDIT : Thomas and Tucker would fit perfectly salary-wise (Horford's at an even $12 million per through 2016), but we need Tucker until Marcus shows us his defense isn't a flash in the pan & we need to provide them a big.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Dragic's trouble might just be caused by us putting our two bigs in the middle of the floor allowing their guys to guard the basket really easily.

Surprised no one is talking about the offensive sets we are running and how different they are from last year. Also how much they are killing the spacing and slowing us down by purposefully taking the ball out of the hands of our best players for no real advantage.

I feel like I'm in an episode of the twilight zone.

This tweet can be worrying as well.

Edit:

Watch those videos for the half court sets. Look at how we let our guards create the offense through pick and rolls. Not forcing an offensive set that does not take advantage of our strengths.

Compare those to the plays from games this season.

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:I predicted .500 at the end of the season. I also said we could push 50 if everything broke our way. So far nothing really is except for Markieff's play but he fouled out when we needed him last night. Len needs to quit worrying about his damn hand. I constantly see him messing with the bandage and favoring it.
he's one karate chop away from losing it. i hear jermaine o'neal is available. sign him to a one yr deal and let len heal his fingers for the mean time.

SDC

Post by SDC »

a win over the warriors will cure my depression w/ the suns.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Lack of execution and rebounding, nothing more nothing less. Too many turnovers and open shots missed when it mattered. The refs made a number of stupid calls and subsequent compensations for both sides, but still.

Neither team knew how to win this game, although given the awful lot of knucklehead plays from Gay, Cousins and Collison, we should have taken this one but we had our own share of shortcomings in full display during crunch time.

What we can't afford is to let double digit leads slip away against teams with this amount of bad decision making like it is the Spurs. Bledsoe made a key basket but turned the ball too much in the end. FT inconsistency is an issue since last season. The only two guys I trust to make important FTs are Kieff and Green.

I would have liked a bit of IT3 in for Dragic during the extra time.

There were a couple of bright spots. We got to see life again from Plumlee, Dragic played like last season in regular time (but couldn't guard anyone from Collison to McLemore -ugh-). Tucker is already making an impact on D+R.

PJ had to guard Cousins once, which indeed shows our lack of muscle inside, but he managed to deny him a post position resulting in a bad shot by the Kings. The problem is that such defense was useless as they grabbed the offensive rebound and gave it to Cousins down low for an easy basket.

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:Thanks to Indy for the opportunity to buy tickets from him for this game..This is Indy's season tickets, not too shabby 8-)

[ Image ]
Those look nice. They are new to me this year and I haven't got to use them yet. Opening night were tix I won so they were somewhere else. And I only bought a half season this year...

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Indy wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:Thanks to Indy for the opportunity to buy tickets from him for this game..This is Indy's season tickets, not too shabby 8-)

[ Image ]
Those look nice. They are new to me this year and I haven't got to use them yet. Opening night were tix I won so they were somewhere else. And I only bought a half season this year...
Oh you haven't even sat in the seats yet? They're great seats, you're gonna like them, possibly love them if the Suns can start playing better. I will admit though, my friend and I moved seats once overtime began, apparently Suns fans leave during overtime? We moved down to row 8 center court, the whole row was empty...Anyway, I happened to turn around and Lon Babby was sitting two rows behind me on the aisle seat, with his wife

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:a win over the warriors will cure my depression w/ the suns.
Won't be easy. This Suns team isn't starting as strongly as last year. They've got a lot to work out still.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Calm down with all the Gasol talk. He would've never signed here unless the Suns would've offered him at least 50% more than Chicago is paying him now. Even then it would have still been a long shot.
I disagree. I think he was done with the Lakers. They offered him 2yr/$20 million and he......rejected it! Bulls offered 3yr/$22 million and he accepted it. He took less money but more years on the contract.

I listened to Robert Sarvers interview on that Arizona Sports website just before the Suns played the Spurs. He said they had Gasol "on their radar", but decided to go with the youth they have. I laughed at that cause I know Pau would make the Suns better in halfcourt situations, help on rebounds, and get the Suns out of the 1st round in the playoffs.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !