Around the League: Week 3 11/10-11/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Around the League: Week 3 11/10-11/16

Post by Shabazz »

SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:Only 1 guy has ever got the Wolves into the playoffs, and it is a clear, first ballot hall of famer. And he couldn't even do that every year, and only got them out of the 1st round once. I don't think it is a fair knock on Love to say he didn't get them to the playoffs. (Although there are certainly other reasons to criticize him.)
You're right - that's not a totally fair gauge, with more outside variables to be considered. But Love was the best player putting up crazy numbers and he was the leader - thing is, those are just numbers. Not a whole lot of steak behind that sizzle.....
I didn't want to get sucked in to this again, but Love is a phenomenal (albeit not perfect) player. He's not a "good stats on a bad team" guy. He's not a rim protector, but his combination of offensive skills and rebounding is unprecedented in NBA history.

His lack of playoff appearances has much more to do with his teammates (and the management that provided them) than his skills.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Split T wrote:Anyone notice amare is rebounding like we all hoped he would when he was here?

He's averaging 8.5 boards in 24 minutes. Good for the 5th highest rebound rate among players playing at least 20 minutes. 12th best amongst everyone. I hope he can have a decent year, we were right to let him go, but I was always a fan.
Reality has hit very hard. Its about the only way he can produce and get court time now. The Knicks are such a mess. He has to regret everything but the money lol.
In2ition wrote:Isn't he a free agent this coming summer? What do you think about him as a free agent next year?
I would be all about it, as long as it is a *very* reasonable, small contract - he can't complain about his money, by any stretch. He's been paid. If he wants to come home and go out and a high note, I'm all about it, as long as its fair and affordable.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Would you trade the Morri and Tucker/Green for Amar'e?

Amar'e's actually looked very, very good this year. He's lost some off his vertical which is to be expected, but he's always been in phenomenal shape, takes care of himself and honestly, his post defense and low post moves actually resembling that of a skilled NBA big.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:Would you trade the Morri and Tucker/Green for Amar'e?
Sorry, Shel. That's awful. With respect to Amare's small sample size rebounding percentage, Markieff is a better player in just about every way at this point.

STAT's D is still a train wreck and at this point makes him a net negative.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:Isn't he a free agent this coming summer? What do you think about him as a free agent next year?
If the Suns hadn't committed to the Morris Twins and if all our cap space hadn't been blown, I would have loved to bring him on a MLE-salary range, 1-2 year type deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think amare could fill a role on our team, but it'd be taking all of tolliver and randolphs minutes and stealing a few from Len/Plumlee. Not replacing kieff

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
If the Suns hadn't committed to the Morris Twins and if all our cap space hadn't been blown, I would have loved to bring him on a MLE-salary range, 1-2 year type deal.
You need to quit holding back and tell us how you really feel, INF.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sorry, Shel. That's awful. With respect to Amare's small sample size rebounding percentage, Markieff is a better player in just about every way at this point.

I don't think you make that trade thinking Amare is better than Markieff. You make it to get some flexibility back and to get out of that silly commitment they made to the Morris Twins.

But I don't think the Knicks make that trade. They'll want cap space over the Morris Twins.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The redundant, underproducing piece IMO is Bledsoe. Green starting with Dragic and Amare off the bench with IT for Bledsoe's money sounds good....

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I have a hard time seeing Phil Jackson being interested in Eric Bledsoe.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I don't think you make that trade thinking Amare is better than Markieff. You make it to get some flexibility back and to get out of that silly commitment they made to the Morris Twins.

But I don't think the Knicks make that trade. They'll want cap space over the Morris Twins.
I think both teams say no to that deal.

I think the Suns consider the Morrii, Tucker and Green contracts assets, and they very well might be. If they do decide to consolidate those assets, it won't (better not) be for Amare.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:I think both teams say no to that deal.
I don't think the Suns willingness to do the deal was up for debate. I don't see the Suns trading anyone except Green, Ennis, and Tolliver.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

INFORMER wrote:I have a hard time seeing Phil Jackson being interested in Eric Bledsoe.
Yeah, it was another of my "what ifs", not a trade suggestion. Without Bledsoe on the books, we could have extended Green and signed Amare to something reasonable after this season.

We've made our commitment, and caved to that big contract, unfortunately. We have many more chapters to come by Eric Bledsoe.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Amare won't get anything over the midlevel next year, if we really want him, we'd be able to get him. Assuming he'd want to come back.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

But I don't it makes sense bringing him back while we still have the Morris Twins.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Amar'e will end up in San Antonio and look like the 2nd coming David Robinson.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Dirk just moved up to #9 all-time on the scoring list, passing Hakeem. Since I started following the Suns very closely back in 2004, no opponent has scared me more than Dirk Nowitzki. Not Lebron, not any of the San Antonio trio, not Kobe, not Durant. I hate playing Dallas.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:But I don't it makes sense bringing him back while we still have the Morris Twins.
Agreed

Split T

Post by Split T »

Xylus wrote:Dirk just moved up to #9 all-time on the scoring list, passing Hakeem. Since I started following the Suns very closely back in 2004, no opponent has scared me more than Dirk Nowitzki. Not Lebron, not any of the San Antonio trio, not Kobe, not Durant. I hate playing Dallas.
Shawn Marion had some good defensive games against dirk, but dirk has been one of the toughest guys to guard in history

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Xylus wrote:Dirk just moved up to #9 all-time on the scoring list, passing Hakeem. Since I started following the Suns very closely back in 2004, no opponent has scared me more than Dirk Nowitzki. Not Lebron, not any of the San Antonio trio, not Kobe, not Durant. I hate playing Dallas.
Duncan scared me more, and maybe Kobe in his heyday. But Dirk was right up there. Amazing how far he's climbed up the scoring charts.