Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:39 am
I think it’s his anti-vax feelings that they are referencing
You never know with this crowd.
Yeah, you do. If you're paying attention.
I’m paying attention and my statement stands.
It was pretty clear from the thread. But you do you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:14 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:46 pm

Man they are going to regret that contract.
You obviously see the offensive talent but defensively he's a mess. They're also pretty locked in financially the next few years I think. More importantly, this could affect us with DA and maybe Mikal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

They have 3 max guys, and I am not sure I have ever seen a max player targeted as much as he was in the playoffs. It was embarrassing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:50 pm
They have 3 max guys, and I am not sure I have ever seen a max player targeted as much as he was in the playoffs. It was embarrassing.
Who are you talking about? Booker or Ayton? And embarrassing in what way?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:28 pm
Indy wrote:
He's talking about MPJ and his poor defensive play in the playoffs.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:28 pm
Indy wrote:
He's talking about MPJ and his poor defensive play in the playoffs.
Thank you.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:13 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:32 am
If he has higher antibody levels than those vaccinated in February who have waning immunity, then I don't see why he should be subject to stricter restrictions than them.
In general I agree. But those comparisons are to the people that got it in February, which are almost exclusively elderly and immuno-compromised.
I was remembering Gambo's tweet about CP3 and other Suns players getting it in February:

However, looking it up, it was not until March 24 that it was open to all ages in AZ. And it was around that time that most states started opening it up, so we are around 6 months in for many, if not most, NBA players' vaccinations.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is hilarious

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've become a fan of Robin Lopez more and more since he left Phoenix. I really hope he gets into the NBA media someday, but he'll probably instead start a podcast about Japanese animation and mythical creatures or something.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:04 pm
This is hilarious

He is hilarious. His comments about hazing the rookies by making them buy magazines like Popular Science and Nat Geo and then having a 'book club' about each issue is one of the best things I have heard, too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 pm
I've become a fan of Robin Lopez more and more since he left Phoenix. I really hope he gets into the NBA media someday, but he'll probably instead start a podcast about Japanese animation and mythical creatures or something.
Perfect cross over. He will start a graphic novel about basketball players by night, mythical crime fighting beasts by day or something.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's already a manga about Robin Lopez:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Is this the range for DA with the incentives?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope MPJ ends up staying healthy enough, and improves enough, to deserve that contract. I don't want to see a Brandon Roy situation where he flames out too young.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:21 am

It shouldn't be. He was the #1 pick in that draft class and took his team to the Finals. He deserves the full (potential) supermax like Trae Young got. And it should have been a done deal way before the deadline. The fact that there is still no deal in place is yet another Sarver embarrassment.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:11 pm
ShelC wrote:

It shouldn't be. He was the #1 pick in that draft class and took his team to the Finals. He deserves the full (potential) supermax like Trae Young got. And it should have been a done deal way before the deadline. The fact that there is still no deal in place is yet another Sarver embarrassment.
It’s important to note that he was the 3rd best player on a team that went to the finals. Still, MPJ was the 3rd best player on a team that got swept in round 2. Ayton will get his max, that’s for sure. I’m not worried about the delay impacting anything.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:45 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:11 pm
ShelC wrote:

It’s important to note that he was the 3rd best player on a team that went to the finals. Still, MPJ was the 3rd best player on a team that got swept in round 2. Ayton will get his max, that’s for sure. I’m not worried about the delay impacting anything.
Obviously something is wrong if the deal hasn't been done by this point. MPJ's deal is even done already and he's injury prone and has huge holes in his game (especially defense), which is why some extra time for negotiation of the guaranteed money made sense for him.

When I say that DA took us to the Finals, I mean he was the single greatest factor in us getting there. CP3 even said at one point that he was our MVP of the postseason. There's no way we win those series without him. I don't necessarily agree that he was our third best player in the playoffs--third best offensive player, sure. But he carried the team on his back much of that time.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Chris Paul was the biggest factor in the Suns getting to the Finals simply because he could mostly guarantee a good shot on every offensive possession.

Ayton was critical to the Suns defense and rebounding but the lack of depth in that role overstated his impact as a whole. Hypothetically, if Ayton was replaced by Zubac and Kanter, I don't think there wouldn't have been a huge drop off in production.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 pm
Chris Paul was the biggest factor in the Suns getting to the Finals simply because he could mostly guarantee a good shot on every offensive possession.

Ayton was critical to the Suns defense and rebounding but the lack of depth in that role overstated his impact as a whole. Hypothetically, if Ayton was replaced by Zubac and Kanter, I don't think there wouldn't have been a huge drop off in production.
This first part is undeniable.

The 2nd part is less so, but still pretty solid. Ayton was huge in the middle of the playoffs. He was not good in the Finals. I am not sure a guy like Zubac could have done as much as Ayton did as his peak, but he certainly could do better than Ayton as his trough.

He will get his max like we have been saying for 3 years.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ayton was great the entire playoffs, including the first two games of the Finals. He had 22 and 19 in the Game 1 win in his first ever Finals game. And remember the pep talk from Monty in Game 2, with DA leading us to victory in the 4th quarter with his "dominating with force"? Then he was dominating offensively to start Game 3 until Scott Foster got him in foul trouble. And obviously the team as a whole struggled the rest of the series.
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 pm

If we don't win those first 2 WCF games without Paul, we probably don't make the Finals.

And you're seriously comparing Ayton's defensive impact to that of Enes Kanter?