2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Denver doesn't really have the right contracts to make it attractive for Houston, IMO.

Minnesota could do Prince and Okogie for Gordon. Both guys are on expiring contracts so maybe it wouldn't take as much draft capital, but I don't think I've heard anything about Minnesota being interested in Gordon.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm going to be a little peeved if the Suns are hung up on a future first round pick when they've recently used one to trade for Landry Shamet and declined to extend their most recent selection.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:15 pm
I'm going to be a little peeved if the Suns are hung up on a future first round pick when they've recently used one to trade for Landry Shamet and declined to extend their most recent selection.

Future second, Stix (promising player), and filler to make the numbers work. If they want to feel like they won, we can offer a pick swap for next year for the better of ours or theirs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Philly should give up Maxey. Harden is not as good as he used to be, he's out of shape, he's old, he's a malcontent, he might not mesh perfectly with Embiid, there's real risk there. I'd give them Simmons plus one other player, maybe Thybulle. I almost wouldn't even do that deal except that Philly does get off the Simmons huge contract, so that is helpful to them. I would be nervous about acquiring James Harden in 2022 for sure. I think Philly has a really good team as it is.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder if this trade is on the table and we’re waiting to see if Houston will drop their price on Gordon first

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:01 pm
I don't think Philly should give up Maxey. Harden is not as good as he used to be, he's out of shape, he's old, he's a malcontent, he might not mesh perfectly with Embiid, there's real risk there. I'd give them Simmons plus one other player, maybe Thybulle. I almost wouldn't even do that deal except that Philly does get off the Simmons huge contract, so that is helpful to them. I would be nervous about acquiring James Harden in 2022 for sure. I think Philly has a really good team as it is.
This sums up how I feel about Harden perfectly. I think most can agree that Morey hasn't exactly been rational in managing this Simmons situation. He seems to want to win every trade more than he wants to make the best of the situation and improve his team. If I were him I'd have traded Simmons for Haliburton and Buddy Hield and whatever other salary fillers like, 2 months ago. I'd even throw in a pick to make that happen.

I do think they should keep Maxey, who has been a great piece for them and young enough to build around, and I'd do my best to not move Thybulle, who is as good as they come in terms of perimeter defense. I know that Curry is an important piece for them as a shooter, but I'd consider him a little more expendable than the other two -- fact that the last two Sixers games I watched he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn might have contributed to that notion.

Split T

Post by Split T »

A Haliburton/Maxey backcourt would’ve been very nice.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Tomorrow is gonna be looooonnnngggg
And after all the rumours and who knows what we will do

Either way it's probably gonna be fairly active on here and then playing the Bucks. Good chance I'm burnt out lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've "randomly" woken up between 2-4 AM every night this week and couldn't resist the urge to check my phone. Of course we know nothing has happened with the Suns (yet), but I've still been laying wide awake in bed at way too early of an hour contemplating my own sanity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t see why we wouldn’t just give up a late future 1st for Gordon. Just feels like a money thing to me…I mean we moved a 1st for Shamet less than a year ago. He adds 10 million in salary next year(assuming Saric/Stix/Nader going out) and that’s not counting the tax. Bet Sarver would want the 1st in case we fall apart and Sarver needs to sell off contracts next year.

This is our moment though, we have the best team in the nba, we can add a very significant piece to our team without giving up anyone or anything that will impact a single game this year.

If we crash and burn and Sarver freaks out, we’d have fairly easy avenues to clear money and avoid the tax. Sign and Trade Ayton away…Dump Gordon’s 19 million dollar expiring contract somewhere..Shamet has a movable deal.

I’m just preparing to be dissapointed, hopefully JJ surprises me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Based on what I'm hearing, an Eric Gordon trade appears more likely than it was a week ago. I can't put a number on it, but Houston must be doing the math, and recognizing that if they don't move him they get nothing. They're not trying to win, and if no one is budging on a first round pick, they'll have to take what they can get. (WHich is cap space, and maybe younger, more serviceable players)

The more I think about it though, the more I'm not sure about Gordon. He's 33, and is having a really flukey season from 3 point range. He doesn't pass, doesn't rebound, is an average at best defender, is short for a SG (though very stocky and strong). An improvement on Shamet? Yeah, probably. An improvement on Payne... probably not, given he can't really run the point.

Not a great value at $18M/year, but better than Sham's $10M.

Also: EG's out with plantar fasciiitis. WHich takes FOREVER to heal up fully, and the only thing you can do is give it time. The only thing you can do with that injury is stay off your feet for a few weeks, and full recovery takes 6-12 months. Yikes.
Last edited by Wormwood on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I mean we moved a 1st for Shamet less than a year ago.
That might be the argument against trading a 1st. We traded it for Shamet, who's underperformed and now we're looking at trading another for someone to take his minutes and give us the scoring he hasn't. Also, EG hasn't been the most durable over his career. Any trade is a risk, but a 33yr old who averages about 60 games a year...

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:50 am

This guy has been money in recent trade deadlines so 🤷🏾‍♂️

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think part of the issue with including a 1st round pick for Gordon is that, given the protections on picks we've already traded away, the pick in any Gordon deal would have to be our 2027 pick or something like that. So we'd essentially be locking up having very few 1st rounders for most of this decade. That's a tough pill to swallow, even if we have a real shot at a title. I also worry about how Gordon's big $19m salary would impact our ability to re-sign Cam Johnson and Ayton this summer. It's less about the cap/tax numbers and more about cheapass Sarver flaking out and not being willing to keep everybody.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:08 am
I think part of the issue with including a 1st round pick for Gordon is that, given the protections on picks we've already traded away, the pick in any Gordon deal would have to be our 2027 pick or something like that. So we'd essentially be locking up having very few 1st rounders for most of this decade. That's a tough pill to swallow, even if we have a real shot at a title. I also worry about how Gordon's big $19m salary would impact our ability to re-sign Cam Johnson and Ayton this summer. It's less about the cap/tax numbers and more about cheapass Sarver flaking out and not being willing to keep everybody.
My question is could we protect the pick? I think it could have protection for one year, but we’re not eligible to move a 2029 pick right now because that’s too far in the future, so if we’re trade right now it would have to confer by 2028. What if we send a 2027 1st that is top 20 protected and turns into a 2027 and 2028 2nd if it’s in the top 20?

And we should gain back the ability to move our 2024 or 2025 1st once this season ends and OKC gets our 2022 pick.

Side note, what exactly is the purpose of the Stepien rule that prevents you from trading consecutive 1sts? All it does is make trading more difficult for everyone. A team should be able to trade whatever picks they want.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:29 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:08 am
My question is could we protect the pick? I think it could have protection for one year, but we’re not eligible to move a 2029 pick right now because that’s too far in the future, so if we’re trade right now it would have to confer by 2028. What if we send a 2027 1st that is top 20 protected and turns into a 2027 and 2028 2nd if it’s in the top 20?

And we should gain back the ability to move our 2024 or 2025 1st once this season ends and OKC gets our 2022 pick.

Side note, what exactly is the purpose of the Stepien rule that prevents you from trading consecutive 1sts? All it does is make trading more difficult for everyone. A team should be able to trade whatever picks they want.
Because owners were probably lobbied by GMs who wanted rules to protect themselves. Not their current selves. Their future GM selves on a new team where the former GM already traded away their next 5 years. You could make the same argument for max contracts. Let teams pay whatever they want to player, for as long as they want, but they still have to manage the cap. They just couldn't do it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ok that makes sense..protection from awful GM’s

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not sure if this guy has connections, but: