2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:22 am
I wouldn't touch Ben Simmons. Physically Magic Johnson. Mentally Josh Jackson
We’ll see, but he seems like a fresh start will do him well kind of guy. He won’t have to be relied on to create shots in crunch time. He can just do his thing all game and be a screener/rim runner/short roll playmaker in crunch time. The one thing he needs to figure out is his fear of getting fouled and shooting free throws. That is a major problem.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:23 am
I wonder if KD will want out. Would people pull the trigger on KD for package around Ayton?
I don’t think he will, but I would 100% do this. You’d be crazy not too

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, huge Harden/Simmons trade. I kind of dislike it for both teams. It's hard to grade this one because Simmons was essentially a zero/negative asset on Philly but presumably will actually play and contribute now in Brooklyn. So in a weird way, both teams may "win" the deal since the Simmons asset sort of appears out of thin air as a positive for BKN. But ... I think this won't work out very well for Philly. I don't like the current iteration of James Harden, and I think he doesn't take his conditioning and rest seriously enough to keep playing at a high level. I also think he has a high usage rate which could disrupt their current Embiid-heavy offensive flow.

And I'm not really sure that it'll work out very well for Brooklyn, either. There's no guarantee that Simmons just magically goes back to playing at a high level. He's been out a long time, and who knows what kind of physical and mental shape he's in? And is this Nets team really a good place for a wounded guy with a fragile ego? Are Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving going to give him love and support and put up with him and his sensitivity? Are they going to coddle him when he makes mistakes or is too passive offensively? Something tells me they won't get along super well. As for the rest, Seth Curry is a nice piece, but the Nets already had a lot of shooters, and he's not a great defender or creator. Somebody like Thybulle or Maxey would have been much scarier for them IMO. And Drummond is essentially a zero or negative asset.

I feel like I'm not truly scared of either of these teams after this trade. The East team I fear most is still the Bucks, and maybe the Heat after that. Then Philly, Brooklyn, Chicago.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

The scary thing for me is how Simmons come back. What if he added a shot (any shot) to his repertoire?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just read that the KD, Kyrie, Harden trio played only 16 games together where all 3 were in the lineup. That's crazy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Simmons is just a perfect fit basketball wise in Brooklyn. They’re scary if healthy and if Kyrie can play. They will have some pg issues at home if Kyrie can’t play, but Patty Mills is solid and they now have 2 1sts they are shopping for more help.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

An hour and 15 minutes to go. Feels like JJ gonna rummage through the bargain bin to pick up a player. With Thad Young likely to play with Tor and Dragic to likely sign with Mavs, who else will that leave that can upgrade Shamet?
Is Craig a buyout candidate?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

RE: Simmons, my take is that he is likely to not improve and will always be up and down and unreliable in the playoffs. My evidence is that past behavior predicts future behavior and he will take large risks to avoid making himself a better player to protect his emotional fragility. I think he’s peaked and will always be the same player with diminishing returns. Come playoffs teams will expose his fear. We will see. He needs lots of crunch time exposure therapy to improve his confidence but his personality seems to have a rather thin ego that gets the best of him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:08 am
Wormwood wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:05 am
djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:02 am

not sure how credible this is
It was...

Two years ago.
HAHA Didn't see the date. Just got retweeted. Deleting now
Plus, I don't think teams can trade players that are on other teams. Kennard is on the Clippers, right?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

That Derrick White move is interesting
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Could’ve just re-signed him but ok

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:59 am

That's good for Jalen. I want him to go somewhere where he can get a bunch of minutes and play himself into a bigger contract. I feel like he's earned that opportunity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Takes Gordon off the table. Houston must have held out for a 1st and we said no. Craig is certainly more useful than Smith. Still want another G though. Perhaps the buyout market

Split T

Post by Split T »

I guess Saric/Shamet/Nader still works for Gordon, so he’s not off the table. I’d absolutely add a 1st to that deal. Saric/Shamet make essentially the same salary next year as Gordon

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:

Better to admit a mistake and rectify it. Yeah, we could have. We didn't. He's back. I'm happy.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:10 pm
Split T wrote:

Better to admit a mistake and rectify it. Yeah, we could have. We didn't. He's back. I'm happy.
Ya it’s a solid move

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:04 pm
Takes Gordon off the table. Houston must have held out for a 1st and we said no. Craig is certainly more useful than Smith. Still want another G though. Perhaps the buyout market
Agreed. I don't see how we'd get a deal for Gordon done now. I think this happened because Jones threw in the towel on Houston.