Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

On a serious note, if LeBron is on the Suns next season, I'm buying Split a steak dinner or something just out of respect for the foresight.

Unless you're willing to admit you heard of the idea elsewhere, you were way out in front of that one and it would pretty easily be the biggest acquisition in Suns history.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn’t hear it anywhere…just listening to people talk about what would happen with LeBron and the Lakers. I think someone mentioned LA would never trade him if he didn’t ask out, but that LA should trade him…that got me thinking it wouldn’t be crazy for him to ask out. LA is a mess and is probably not going to be a contender before his time is up. I couldn’t really imagine a place he’d want to go besides here if he was asking out.

Now I think he wants to be in LA with his family, but there’s enough connections for it to be a plausible outcome.

I do think it got brought up on Lowe’s podcast shortly after I talked about it. Or some podcast, I don’t remember. They talked about us giving up Ayton and Bridges though…I wouldn’t do that.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:43 pm
IS THAT SPLIT'S MUSIC!?!?!

He's obviously referring to KAT. The key is where he says "wants to be in Phoenix with Booker."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Just like McGrady and Kobe are coming to Phoenix?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:55 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:48 pm
It would make no sense to acquire another superstar guard with CP3 still on the roster at his salary. He’s not coming off the bench, you can’t play CP3/Book with Dame/SGA/etc. at the same time, we need another shot creator yet we tied a lot of money into Bridges. We’re in a tough spot with an aging, pricey PG we wouldn’t dare trade.
The NBA is a playmaking and shot making skill league now. Dame would certainly present defensive issues just because they'd be playing three small guys in their best lineup, but hasn't the NBA world been jerking themselves over the Warriors Jordan Poole lineup for the past month?

Also, SGA is 6'6" with a 6'9" wingspan. He's not small.
Jordan Poole makes no dollars. He can come off the bench.

You’re not paying someone max dollars to be a bench player. That’s crazy.

And you’re not paying Bridges to come off the bench. And he can’t play the 4. So you’re not playing CP3/Book/SGA/Bridges/C

We’re rather looking to solidify a sixth man, or we’re upgrading at the 4 or 5.

My wild plan is to package Ayton and Cam J to get Embiid here.

Philly can build around Maxey/Cam/DA core.

Suns go win now with Booker/Paul/Embiid/Bridges.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:13 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:55 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:48 pm
It would make no sense to acquire another superstar guard with CP3 still on the roster at his salary. He’s not coming off the bench, you can’t play CP3/Book with Dame/SGA/etc. at the same time, we need another shot creator yet we tied a lot of money into Bridges. We’re in a tough spot with an aging, pricey PG we wouldn’t dare trade.
The NBA is a playmaking and shot making skill league now. Dame would certainly present defensive issues just because they'd be playing three small guys in their best lineup, but hasn't the NBA world been jerking themselves over the Warriors Jordan Poole lineup for the past month?

Also, SGA is 6'6" with a 6'9" wingspan. He's not small.
Jordan Poole makes no dollars. He can come off the bench.

You’re not paying someone max dollars to be a bench player. That’s crazy.

And you’re not paying Bridges to come off the bench. And he can’t play the 4. So you’re not playing CP3/Book/SGA/Bridges/C

We’re rather looking to solidify a sixth man, or we’re upgrading at the 4 or 5.

My wild plan is to package Ayton and Cam J to get Embiid here.

Philly can build around Maxey/Cam/DA core.

Suns go win now with Booker/Paul/Embiid/Bridges.
The point I was making is that playing three smallish guards together isn't as crazy as you may think it is because the NBA has been trending toward shooting and ballhandling for a while. Not that it's relevant to my point, but Jordan Poole's next contract will be $25M+ a year.

Turning Ayton and whatever else besides Booker into Embiid would be a dream. Unfortunately for the Suns, Darryl Morey is probably too smart to do something like that unless he alienates Embiid by sticking by his buddy Harden.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:50 pm
Just like McGrady and Kobe are coming to Phoenix?
I remember that castle in the air. :lol:
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trading for late career LeBron world be this team's version of the SSOL Suns trading for Shaq.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:22 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:43 pm
IS THAT SPLIT'S MUSIC!?!?!

He's obviously referring to KAT. The key is where he says "wants to be in Phoenix with Booker."
Hmm, ya that’s one I could believe…much more likely than Durant. Pat Bev hasn’t been very glowing about Ayton though…although if anyone can get Ayton to play aggressive, it might be Bev haha

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:40 pm
Trading for late career LeBron world be this team's version of the SSOL Suns trading for Shaq.
Amen

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Only in terms of age. LeBron is constantly in peak physical condition and just averaged 30PPG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Shaq was washed…LeBron is still a top 10 player.

Disregard the future impact, just look at next season. Can you guys honestly say that this years team with LeBron instead of Ayton wouldn’t have had a better shot at the title? The guy averaged like 30-8-6 on a 61%+ TS

We’d finally coast through the regular season, letting James and Paul rest. We’d probably make some other all-in move to get a bench guard, let’s say Eric Gordon. We’d win 50-55 games, grab like a 3 seed and everyone would be terrified to play us in the playoffs.

Ya health would be a major risk, but we’re tied to CP3, so health is going to be a risk regardless.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Disregard the future impact, just look at next season. Can you guys honestly say that this years team with LeBron instead of Ayton wouldn’t have had a better shot at the title? The guy averaged like 30-8-6 on a 61%+ TS

We’d finally coast through the regular season, letting James and Paul rest. We’d probably make some other all-in move to get a bench guard, let’s say Eric Gordon. We’d win 50-55 games, grab like a 3 seed and everyone would be terrified to play us in the playoffs.

Ya health would be a major risk, but we’re tied to CP3, so health is going to be a risk regardless.
Lol. Lebron is not a top 10 player. He’s God awful on defense even the 10% of the time he gives effort on that end any more. He’s stat chasing and gives an illusion in box scores of stardom. He’s done as a winning player.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

What a shit show this is
Who woke OGW

Awful capitulation and internal squabbling to boot.

A ton of us want to cut the best centre we've ever had

I think I'll go under a rock until the next official thing happens

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

LBJ, on paper, is the kind of ideal frontcourt player for us. He'd be the connector we've missed with Frank and Dario, except it's LeBron doing everything from the 3/4/5 spot - running point, rebounding, passing, shooting 3s.

The issue is of course age and all the drama he tends to bring. Can he fit into the Suns/Monty/JJ team culture or would his presence/persona be too big? Do we have to deal with the outsiders surrounding LeBron coming in and potentially disrupting any harmony? Leaked reports that LBJ is unhappy for one reason or another? Would he put all that aside, come in and just play basketball off of CP and Book? I'd trust guys like JJ, CP and Monty to make that determination. JJ and CP especially know the pros and cons of LBJ. And at the end of the day, it's LeBron.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

If you trade for LeBron, you need to make sure that you don't give up any young talent beyond the Cams, otherwise you're being ripped off. But you also need to trade Ayton for Towns to make sure you have LeBron surrounded by 4 3-point shooters. At that point, you're looking at an epic starting 5 but little bench depth -- what will make or break the Suns will be the (in)ability to find role players at the veteran's minimum.

Just tell the Lakers to go fuck themselves if they ask for Ayton or Bridges, but that the Cams are available.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:14 am
Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

LBJ, on paper, is the kind of ideal frontcourt player for us. He'd be the connector we've missed with Frank and Dario, except it's LeBron doing everything from the 3/4/5 spot - running point, rebounding, passing, shooting 3s.

The issue is of course age and all the drama he tends to bring. Can he fit into the Suns/Monty/JJ team culture or would his presence/persona be too big? Do we have to deal with the outsiders surrounding LeBron coming in and potentially disrupting any harmony? Leaked reports that LBJ is unhappy for one reason or another? Would he put all that aside, come in and just play basketball off of CP and Book? I'd trust guys like JJ, CP and Monty to make that determination. JJ and CP especially know the pros and cons of LBJ. And at the end of the day, it's LeBron.
Those are all very legitimate questions. Something Monty and JJ would have to figure out if this is an actual option.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:59 pm
Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Lol. Lebron is not a top 10 player. He’s God awful on defense even the 10% of the time he gives effort on that end any more. He’s stat chasing and gives an illusion in box scores of stardom. He’s done as a winning player.
He's not done as a winning player but he's done as a 1A guy carrying a team, which is why he wanted AD in LA with him - to assume that role as the go-to guy by now. Hasn't worked out and I'm sure at this point in his career if he's not playing on a team he believes can challenge for a title, he's not as interested.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:41 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Amen
I agree,.......but watch it happen anyways. 😉
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

This would be a close approximation of selling my soul for a championship.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."