Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:34 pm
“It was like a burden that lifted up, not saying I had a burden in Phoenix,” Smith said.

[...]

“Any place you go and you feel like you’re loved, you’re always going to have a joyous feel to you,” Smith said. “It’s just amazing to be welcomed after being traded and after everybody giving me that confidence boost.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3202893 ... to-pacers/
It sounds to me like he felt a burden in Phoenix. Imagine how much worse it is for Ayton.

The lack of patience on the Suns' part, especially for developing bigs, is frustrating.
Ayton developed just fine. He just isn't going to be an alpha. That is fine. He can be a supporting piece on a good/great team, or the #1 on a bad team. There is nothing wrong with that. It just isn't max rookie extension worthy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The biggest problem with Smith is we clearly mislabeled him. It’s one of the things that bugs me about that draft article. It feels like we are probably using the Smith pick to justify some of our feelings towards the draft, but we never put the work in to properly evaluate Jalen in the first place. It was a pretty wide spread opinion that Jalen was a 5 and JJ and Monty thought he was a 4. He never got a chance to play the 5 before we decided to pass on his 3rd year option.

Once we actually got to see him at the 5, it was apparent he was an nba player, but it was too late at that point. The Craig trade was still probably the right move considering the circumstances. Though going forward I’d definitely prefer Smith.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 pm
The biggest problem with Smith is we clearly mislabeled him. It’s one of the things that bugs me about that draft article. It feels like we are probably using the Smith pick to justify some of our feelings towards the draft, but we never put the work in to properly evaluate Jalen in the first place. It was a pretty wide spread opinion that Jalen was a 5 and JJ and Monty thought he was a 4. He never got a chance to play the 5 before we decided to pass on his 3rd year option.

Once we actually got to see him at the 5, it was apparent he was an nba player, but it was too late at that point. The Craig trade was still probably the right move considering the circumstances. Though going forward I’d definitely prefer Smith.
Including Jalen. He is right.

On the Ayton side, he is the one that says he should be a 4, but the league sees him as a 5. Curious how that works out. I think he loses 85% of what makes him special if he is trying to play 4.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Rick Carlisle disagrees (from the article I linked):
“One thing they said about Jalen’s experience with Indiana is that it’s great to see him smile again,” Carlisle told reporters on Wednesday afternoon. “He’s signed on here to be the starting power forward going forward.”
So I guess Indiana's starting power forward will be a former Sun who wants to be a center and their starting center will be a former Sun who wants to be a power forward? :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:13 pm
“One thing they said about Jalen’s experience with Indiana is that it’s great to see him smile again,” Carlisle told reporters on Wednesday afternoon. “He’s signed on here to be the starting power forward going forward.”
So I guess Indiana's starting power forward will be a former Sun who wants to be a center and their starting center will be a former Sun who wants to be a power forward? :lol:
lol

And if you parse his language, Carlisle didn't say he is a starting PF. He said that is what he was signed to be. A little different.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I guess maybe we’ll finally get to see if they can play together like I wanted. I still think Smith could have been the rebounding PF we needed next to Ayton. Now we’re about to go to a zero rebounding lineup.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Sometimes going to a new team with less expectations to grow makes all the difference. We were fighting on every play and dudes were going after it. Not to mention our rotation struggled and over relied on Book and CP3. Smith wasn’t responsive and effective with us. He got to a place where he could grow and have some run.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:13 pm
I guess I should clarify that he clearly wasn’t nba ready as a 4. His nba ready skills only made sense as a 5. I think he can certainly be developed as a 4, say like a Bobby Portis, but James Jones doesn’t do projects and he was clearly not ready to play rotation minutes at the 4 in his first two seasons.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:46 pm
Monty needs to build a better integrative rotation in the regular season building trust with his 10-12 players and rookies. Finishing number one isn’t as important as building confidence in your entire rotation. They over relieved on Book and CP3 in the 4th.
Unfortunately it's just not how he thinks, he wants to cut the depth in playoff basketball and play a 7-8 man rotation for most minutes.. if he doesn't adapt we'll always have a hard time in the later rounds, as you need to be able to change it up when things aren't working

Indy

Post by Indy »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:46 pm
Monty needs to build a better integrative rotation in the regular season building trust with his 10-12 players and rookies. Finishing number one isn’t as important as building confidence in your entire rotation. They over relieved on Book and CP3 in the 4th.
Unfortunately it's just not how he thinks, he wants to cut the depth in playoff basketball and play a 7-8 man rotation for most minutes.. if he doesn't adapt we'll always have a hard time in the later rounds, as you need to be able to change it up when things aren't working
Almost all coaches give 90% of their minutes to their top 8 guys in the playoffs, especially in close games.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Someone please put KD in the background.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:14 am
Pieces starting to fall?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardba ... 1_37657948
But with Deandre thirsty for the bag, it seems unlikely he will reach a resolution with Phoenix. In truth, a swap involving Ayton and Turner might be the best way to satisfy everybody involved.
Is this now normal nomenclature? Plus, it's not a good look for Ayton. I mean sure, everybody wants more money but should it be your main pursuit?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:52 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Pieces starting to fall?

But with Deandre thirsty for the bag, it seems unlikely he will reach a resolution with Phoenix. In truth, a swap involving Ayton and Turner might be the best way to satisfy everybody involved.
Is this now normal nomenclature? Plus, it's not a good look for Ayton. I mean sure, everybody wants more money but should it be your main pursuit?
"I got my big payday AND the free time to watch the NBA Playoffs on TV!"
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:02 am
Superbone wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Pieces starting to fall?

You forgot "and play virtual NBA on my couch all damn day long!"

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:07 am
The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:02 am
Superbone wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Pieces starting to fall?

You forgot "and play virtual NBA on my couch all damn day long!"
And NIGHT!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What is wrong with these guys?! Skip repeatedly correcting him wrongly.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »