Game Day: Clippers (32-28) @ Suns (32-27), Thurs 2/16/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Game Day: Clippers (32-28) @ Suns (32-27), Thurs 2/16/23

Post by Wally_West »

Okogie has to be the 5th starter. Idk how anyone can watch the last couple weeks and think Craig should be starting over Okogie. Craig should be okay 15 minutes at most.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:06 pm
Wainright used up his 2-way contract today. He’s either off the team or needs a roster spot. Don’t think Saban Lee has much time left either.

I’d honestly consider letting Ish and Saban expire, cut Jock and sign Love and a 3rd string pg. Not sure who that is that would be better than Saban though.
Yeah. We got no room for Ish, Saben, and Jock. We’re a different team now.

Love + a pg.
Choo Choo all aboard!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame quotes and videos
Spoiler: show/hide

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really choppy game, no one really seemed in rhythm and the Clips were hitting their 3s. PG and Mann really hurt us and their length on defense really seemed to bother CP and DA's games. Monty threw the whole team out there looking for a spark but couldn't find it. Definitely think Ross and Okogie have taken Shamet and DLee's spots in the rotation for now. Ish won't see much time going forward either I imagine.

I thought Ross looked good even tho he started to chuck a bit but he's a real dynamic scorer who teams have to account for. Great outside shot, can drive it and looked OK in the 2man game with DA and Biz (not that I expect much in that area). I

I still need more consistency with Okogie but he looks really good so long as the 3pt shot is falling. Also looking more comfortable on his drives.

Would've liked to have gotten this one without KD just to get into the Clips' heads. They'd be a tough 1st round playoff matchup but I think we'll move up in the standings over these last few weeks.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Why the hell are we going 12 deep. I hope this is the end of Ish, jock and d lee getting regular minutes

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

A lot of bad statlines last night, especially from our starters. I'll just chalk it up to a bad game. I think Kawhi was like 0 for 8 at halftime too. Glad I missed the game. Was kicking myself at first for thinking it was tonight and not last night.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I’m not really mad about last night’s results. We were missing a really great player* and we were still able to hang with them for the most part, even with Book, CP and Ayton playing pretty crappy. Once that player* comes back, watch out! it’s gonna get dangerous out there.

*Landry Shamet

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This felt like one of those "uncomfortable" games, where guys like Book and CP3 were being guarded effectively so that they never seemed to get good open looks. And you can just feel this discomfort wash over the team where everybody can sense that the offense isn't flowing, and we really tighten up. I'm pleased that we kept it close, but it just didn't feel like our night. Some teams like the Clips, Mavs, Pels really understand how to guard us.

Chris Paul in particular looked like he was running in quicksand. Seems like he has his mind on the All-Star break already. Put up 5 points on 2-8 shooting and 11 assists, but then he played matador defense on Terrence Mann who shot 10-12; ouch. Ayton had a "meh" game with 18 points and 6 rebounds. He seems to really struggle against bigger, bulkier/longer centers like Zubac, Valanciunas, Gobert. T.Ross had a nice game but kind of chucked up 17 shots; he was 1-8 on 3s, oof.

Clips are deeper than I had remembered. Adding guys like Hyland, Plumlee, and Eric Gordon for peanuts at the deadline really bolsters their bench. They might be that team nobody wants to see in the 1st round. I still think they aren't a real contender since Kawhi looks like he's just never going to get back to his prime again. He's still a smart and talented player, but he has lost a lot of athleticism and just doesn't feel like a threat to go off any more.

It does seem like this team + KD + Payne is going to be really nasty. No way these Clips beat us at full strength.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I think the Clippers and Warriors are our real competition in the west. Hoping we only have to face one of them. Would much rather face Denver, Memphis or Sacto (if we’re lucky enough).

After watching this game, I think we made the best choice available in trading for Durant. I still think the best choice we could’ve made would’ve been to trade CP3 before this season. But that would be asking a lot from a very unstable front office.

I think we could’ve gotten Shai for the same package we got Durant with Paul replacing Mikal. Jae and CP3 going to Lakers and Westbrook to OKC with a 6 1sts haul.

Then we would’ve had a team for the future.

But that ship sailed. Staying pat or adding Collins wasn’t going to cut it in the west and definitely not against Boston or Milwaukee.

I could see us having a chance now. A lot still has to break right and a couple of our role guys have to get hot and consistent at the right time. But having Durant gives us a shot every game.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yup
I'm in the not too fussed group also

At least once every year against these guys Book plays poorly, doing all the things that drive me a lil crazy.

Gets caught up with the physical play and gets cheap fouls trying to be too aggressive
Struggles a lil with their scheme and picking apart the traps
Length has him taking tough shots

Bad game, storms off without engaging with any of their guys
Smh lol

I'm sure like I said, that's happened every few games against these guys
I get concerned if he will struggle then he does work next matchup so will not overthink this and next time he has that dude for the bail out option anyways
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

T-Ross looked how I expected and my concern for D. Lee that his dribble game gonna make him lose minutes looks guaranteed.
That's how Clips plays us and also Mavs, make the others have to put the ball on the floor and that's what the Twin had to work on coming into the season

We can't have guys on the floor who look shaky with the dribble
That's the other reason for me why Okogie ahead of Torrey, TC wasn't as big an adventure last night but ya get nervous when he's handling the ball
Josh much more decisive

Finally I saw someone mentioned TJ usage
I'm gonna wait and see there cause I hope Monty just not gonna have him be the guy spot up in the corner. Think using him as the screener with CP/ Book and getting the ball on the short roll to make a play in the midrange will be effective

So hopefully that wrinkle comes as he gets more practice time
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

TOO

Post by TOO »

MightyMoog wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:12 am
I think the Clippers and Warriors are our real competition in the west. Hoping we only have to face one of them. Would much rather face Denver, Memphis or Sacto (if we’re lucky enough).

After watching this game, I think we made the best choice available in trading for Durant. I still think the best choice we could’ve made would’ve been to trade CP3 before this season. But that would be asking a lot from a very unstable front office.

I think we could’ve gotten Shai for the same package we got Durant with Paul replacing Mikal. Jae and CP3 going to Lakers and Westbrook to OKC with a 6 1sts haul.

Then we would’ve had a team for the future.

But that ship sailed. Staying pat or adding Collins wasn’t going to cut it in the west and definitely not against Boston or Milwaukee.

I could see us having a chance now. A lot still has to break right and a couple of our role guys have to get hot and consistent at the right time. But having Durant gives us a shot every game.
You're in fantasy land about SGA, he wouldn't have been available for anything less than Booker, and even then, why would OKC do that?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m not sure Terrence Ross is that much better than TJ Warren, but he definitely plays like he thinks he is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm fine with it. That's what the team needs off of the bench and I'd much rather see Ross get up 8+ shots a game than Cam Payne or Craig.

It's only two games, but I'm a bit concerned we're not going to get much out of TJ. He's always played at his own pace in the half court and that doesn't really fit well with the style of the bench units the past two seasons. Not to mention he looks like he's stuck in second gear most of the time.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:22 pm
It's only two games, but I'm a bit concerned we're not going to get much out of TJ. He's always played at his own pace in the half court and that doesn't really fit well with the style of the bench units the past two seasons. Not to mention he looks like he's stuck in second gear most of the time.
TJ Warren also looks out of shape. At his peak he was of questionable overall value, and in this state he probably isn't much of a net positive. He could be good for a few buckets here and there, but I'd probably rather have others take most of those shots anyway. But I am not trying to be a hater; my expectations are essentially zero. He was just a throw-in on the KD trade as far as I'm concerned.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:43 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:22 pm
TJ Warren also looks out of shape. At his peak he was of questionable overall value, and in this state he probably isn't much of a net positive. He could be good for a few buckets here and there, but I'd probably rather have others take most of those shots anyway. But I am not trying to be a hater; my expectations are essentially zero. He was just a throw-in on the KD trade as far as I'm concerned.
"questionable overall value" is underselling him. He was an efficient 20 ppg scorer pretty recently. I think you're right about how he looks though. Watch highlights of him in the bubble and he just looked much more athletic and forceful. His body just can't seem to heal on the same timeline as most other athletes.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I just see Ross as an upgraded Washington Jr ... better player who fills same roll of chucking when he comes in and having good scoring nights now and then.

Okogie has earned the starter roll, I think Warren will improve with time if he's healthy and I don't get the hate for Saben Lee... I think he's a good 3rd choice or sometimes second when Payne's back ... but yeah we'd all fill more comfortable with someone better right now.

Eric Gordon was a steal for the Clippers, he really hurt us in that game. (though not as much as Mann)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:03 pm
I just see Ross as an upgraded Washington Jr ... better player who fills same roll of chucking when he comes in and having good scoring nights now and then.

Okogie has earned the starter roll, I think Warren will improve with time if he's healthy and I don't get the hate for Saben Lee... I think he's a good 3rd choice or sometimes second when Payne's back ... but yeah we'd all fill more comfortable with someone better right now.

Eric Gordon was a steal for the Clippers, he really hurt us in that game. (though not as much as Mann)
They got Gordon and Plumlee for cheap and they've made a big difference. Gordon was even frustrating Book on defense last night.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:52 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:

They got Gordon and Plumlee for cheap and they've made a big difference. Gordon was even frustrating Book on defense last night.
The thing that's so frustrating is that the largest issue we have, backup PG, is still our biggest...if Eric Gordon was the difference maker and he could have been had cheap, without having to have a KD out there to have beat them, that says something...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:35 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:52 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:

The thing that's so frustrating is that the largest issue we have, backup PG, is still our biggest...if Eric Gordon was the difference maker and he could have been had cheap, without having to have a KD out there to have beat them, that says something...
Our biggest issue was not backup PG. It was not having a true #1/#2. We got KD, then solidified our bench with Ross and TJ.

Is C Payne adequate? Probably not. But chill. He won’t be on ball much anyway.

We got motherfucking KD and we’re whining about Eric Gordon!