Frank Vogel hired as new Coach

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Frank Vogel hired as new Coach

Post by INFORMER »

One of the few things...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mardy Collins and Renaldo Balkman would like a word. His scouts also had to fight him to take David Lee because he was set on Chris Taft.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:52 pm
Full Vogel interview on Wolf & Luke: https://arizonasports.com/category/podc ... Show+Audio

Sounds like he expects CP3 to be here, too.
Well, James Jones did take a look at our roster after we flamed out to Dallas and basically said "run it back!" (minus Crowder) "internal development!" (including a 38 year old jalopy of a PG) and "Suns culture" (for 5 minimum contracts). So don't think I'm not concerned that he's thinking the same thing this summer.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I thought Vogel spoke well and certainly passionately. I like that he first spoke about being a scrappy team and committed to out working the other team every night. Also that he embraced that we are going for a championship. Proof is in the pudding, obviously, but a nice intro I thought.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In 55 years, the Phoenix Suns have never had a head coach who has won a championship. Until now.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:41 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:52 pm
Full Vogel interview on Wolf & Luke: https://arizonasports.com/category/podc ... Show+Audio

Sounds like he expects CP3 to be here, too.
Well, James Jones did take a look at our roster after we flamed out to Dallas and basically said "run it back!" (minus Crowder) "internal development!" (including a 38 year old jalopy of a PG) and "Suns culture" (for 5 minimum contracts). So don't think I'm not concerned that he's thinking the same thing this summer.
In his defense he was waiting for KD

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:07 pm
Ishbia is not afraid to spend money. We have the highest paid set of assistants, respective to their roles, to go with Vogel. Looking forward to seeing where this takes us. I am certain Ishbia knows the positions that need to be addressed (he was a walk on and national champion under a heralded college coach) and will spend where necessary with some input he'll provide as well. I assure you we won't have the shit guard depth we've seen these past 3 seasons next season.
And trade Shamet to accomplish that...two birds with one stone...

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Nice press conference. Like his desire to have us outwork the other team etc as well as being excited with Booker and KD. Interested to see if Ayton really will be his kind of gig or if those words were just for the presser.

The only thing tht concerned me out of all of that was James Jones and his words about the roster. Looked like a man defending his own job rather than admitting or recognising any weakness and real way to improve the roster he compiled. Worrying leading into the off season where he needs to make some real moves rather than his usual ‘run it back’ philosophy.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

"He gets you to believe that you are tough - even if you aren't" - James Jones
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:36 am
"He gets you to believe that you are tough - even if you aren't" - James Jones
Perfect for Ayton. Oh, wait. He already thinks that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Great interview. Excited about coach Vogel.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Sounds like Vogel thinks Mat wants to keep the core four together one more season, and that Vogel definitely does.

I like the sound of "restore Deandre to a place of prominence in this organization and in this league." ;)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:29 pm
Sounds like Vogel thinks Mat wants to keep the core four together one more season, and that Vogel definitely does.

I like the sound of "restore Deandre to a place of prominence in this organization and in this league." ;)
Where's the pray icon when you need it?

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:

I’ll be laughing my ass off when he gets traded in a month

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:23 pm
JeremyG wrote:

I’ll be laughing my ass off when he gets traded in a month
Fingers crossed.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Very interesting words "place of prominence in this organization". Makes it sound as if he's not thought highly of or regarded well in some capacity. By the owner? Front office members? Teammates? Vogel saying he wants to restore DA's place of prominence in the league is expected and something he should be saying. He said it at the press conference. But saying that about the org...could be telling.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think there's much reading between the lines there. I've watched the other Suns player's body language for the past two seasons and they're tired of Ayton's BS.

Even one of the nicest guys in the league and self proclaimed "best friend" got visibly frustrated with him in the middle of a game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

JeremyG wrote:

Jermey, High Priest of the Church of DeAndre...The Giant Spaghetti Monster (Cause He's 'Soft'...:D...)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Is Deandre Ayton the first max player in league history who needs someone else to restore his reputation as a player?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.