2023 Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2023 Free Agency Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is hilarious.

I made a $50 bet with a buddy on Draymond's next contract last Fall. He bet that Green would opt out and sign for the vet minimum, and I obviously took the other side.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just for laughs

Ayton
Draymond
KD
Beal
Book

That's an absurd starting 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s really getting close to prime Warriors stuff…just need our Iggy off the bench. Speaking of Iggy…getting a player like him would be perfect(not actually him as he’s too old). Is there a defensive wing that has good playmaking chops who can hit a 3 if left open that wants to play for the vet min or can be acquired via an Ayton trade?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just realized Mikal could’ve been our Iggy

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:06 pm
It’s really getting close to prime Warriors stuff…just need our Iggy off the bench. Speaking of Iggy…getting a player like him would be perfect(not actually him as he’s too old). Is there a defensive wing that has good playmaking chops who can hit a 3 if left open that wants to play for the vet min or can be acquired via an Ayton trade?
Herb Jones!!!
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Would love Herb

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:53 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:17 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:06 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:57 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:40 am
You guys talk about minimum Green as a possibility. Ain't happening.
It’s happening
Bet?
I will happily bet that Green will be a Sun or a Warrior next season and you can take the field :)
Okay...That's what I thought. Afraid to put your money where your mouth is. :P
Bok bok bok bok

We got a chicken here folks

I’m basically saying Draymond is rather staying home or coming to Phoenix. He’s not going anywhere else

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wouldn't rule out the Lakers if he's willing to sign for the vet minimum.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I’d love to get Schroeder actually. He plays very pesky on ball defense and can attack the rim.

Would also definitely take a shot at Jalen McDaniels.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lakers had Schroeder, Troy Brown Jr, and Wenyen Gabriel in vet min deals. We need to pull something off like that

pickle

Post by pickle »

Gabriel is a poor man’s Vanderbilt. Definitely don’t mind getting him on a minimum deal.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:01 pm
I’d love to get Schroeder actually. He plays very pesky on ball defense and can attack the rim.
If we can't get him, at least get his cat.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:53 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:17 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:06 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:57 am

It’s happening
Bet?
I will happily bet that Green will be a Sun or a Warrior next season and you can take the field :)
Okay...That's what I thought. Afraid to put your money where your mouth is. :P
Bok bok bok bok

We got a chicken here folks

I’m basically saying Draymond is rather staying home or coming to Phoenix. He’s not going anywhere else
Way to go out on a limb, bub.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:31 am
Pulling this back to talk about guys that might sign for the vet min:

Our own guys: Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo, Josh Okogie, Damian Lee, TJ Warren, Saben Lee, Ish Wainright.

Plus our own guys we can pay more than the minimum: Torrey Craig and Darius Bazley

Guards: Aaron Holiday, Seth Curry, Dennis Smith Jr, Pat Bev, Ish Smith, Reggie Jackson, Corey Joseph, Russell Westbrook, Dennis Schroeder, Lonnie Walker, Shake Milton, Terrence Davis,

Wings: Yuta Watanabe, Javonte Green, Danny Green, Jeff Green, Hamidou Diallo, Troy Brown Jr, Wenyen Gabriel, Dillon Brooks, Joe Ingles, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Nowell, Josh Richardson, Georges Niang, Jalen McDaniels, Justise Winslow, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Reddish, Keita Bates-Diop

Bigs: Dwight Powell, Thomas Bryant, JaMychal Green, Frank Kaminsky, Mason Plumlee, Kevin Love, Meyers Leonard, Dario Saric, Mo Wagner, Drew Eubanks, Chimezie Metu, Trey Lyles

Anyone stand out?
Here are the guys I like from this list:

Our own guys: Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo, Josh Okogie, Damian Lee, Torrey Craig
Guards: Seth Curry, Corey Joseph, Dennis Schroder
Wings: Yuta Watanabe, Jeff Green, Joe Ingles, Jae Crowder, Keita Bates-Diop
Bigs: Dwight Powell, Mason Plumlee, Dario Saric

My dream would be to get a couple of depth guards like Curry and Schroder, along with one wing/3 and one big. Would love it if Dario came back; I really miss his savvy bench play and the way he integrates himself into the offense. I listed 5 of our own guys, but I wouldn't expect to retain all of them; those were just the ones I wouldn't be upset if they were retained.

My hot take is, if we could get just a couple of these guys to come play for us on cheap contracts, we actually may not have that bad of a depth problem after all. Do we really need to trade Ayton for multiple mediocre players? Keeping Ayton might actually be the best choice. I'd be happy to part with Ayton but only if we make sure to keep 1-2 centers on the roster who can defend.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Do y'all think Warren is going to be a productive player again? His injury history is worrisome, so I don't think he will get a big deal from anyone. He played some very good minutes for us but he also looked like he was coasting for a lot of his time on the court. I hope he lands somewhere and gets back to being the scorer he was.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think we need him. Minimum deal? Sure, but he doesn’t shoot enough for me. I’d rather get Watanabe

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really don't get the fascination with TJ.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:49 am
I really don't get the fascination with TJ.
I was one if those who was pleased to see him back as I thought he'd give us something different to what we had. He played well in stretches but it was difficult to tell how good he could be as it seems Monty wasn't really interested in giving him consistent minutes. However, based on what we saw, I'd happily take Watanabe over him as Split said.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:48 am
Split T wrote:

Our own guys: Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo, Josh Okogie, Damian Lee, TJ Warren, Saben Lee, Ish Wainright.

Plus our own guys we can pay more than the minimum: Torrey Craig and Darius Bazley

Guards: Aaron Holiday, Seth Curry, Dennis Smith Jr, Pat Bev, Ish Smith, Reggie Jackson, Corey Joseph, Russell Westbrook, Dennis Schroeder, Lonnie Walker, Shake Milton, Terrence Davis,

Wings: Yuta Watanabe, Javonte Green, Danny Green, Jeff Green, Hamidou Diallo, Troy Brown Jr, Wenyen Gabriel, Dillon Brooks, Joe Ingles, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Nowell, Josh Richardson, Georges Niang, Jalen McDaniels, Justise Winslow, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Reddish, Keita Bates-Diop

Bigs: Dwight Powell, Thomas Bryant, JaMychal Green, Frank Kaminsky, Mason Plumlee, Kevin Love, Meyers Leonard, Dario Saric, Mo Wagner, Drew Eubanks, Chimezie Metu, Trey Lyles

Anyone stand out?

Our own guys: Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo, Josh Okogie, Damian Lee, Torrey Craig

My dream would be to get a couple of depth guards like Curry and Schroder, along with one wing/3 and one big. Would love it if Dario came back; I really miss his savvy bench play and the way he integrates himself into the offense. I listed 5 of our own guys, but I wouldn't expect to retain all of them; those were just the ones I wouldn't be upset if they were retained.

My hot take is, if we could get just a couple of these guys to come play for us on cheap contracts, we actually may not have that bad of a depth problem after all. Do we really need to trade Ayton for multiple mediocre players? Keeping Ayton might actually be the best choice. I'd be happy to part with Ayton but only if we make sure to keep 1-2 centers on the roster who can defend.
If we elected not to trade Ayton, I'd probably go with the following:

Ayton
Crowder (Not a big fan now but he is a good fit)
Durant
Beal
Booker

Payne
Curry
Landale
Okogie
Schroder
Watanabe
Plumlee

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:48 am
Split T wrote:

Anyone stand out?

If we elected not to trade Ayton, I'd probably go with the following:

Ayton
Crowder (Not a big fan now but he is a good fit)
Durant
Beal
Booker

Payne
Curry
Landale
Okogie
Schroder
Watanabe
Plumlee
I like that lineup. Just enough continuity, especially with bringing Crowder back you would have 3 starters from the 2021 Finals. I might want to add another PF, though.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.