2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by Kryptonic »

Pelicans shopping Jonas Valanciunas…. Always liked his scrappiness.

https://sportando.basketball/en/pelican ... ade-block/

carey

Post by carey »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:24 am
Pelicans shopping Jonas Valanciunas…. Always liked his scrappiness.

https://sportando.basketball/en/pelican ... ade-block/
I would definitely take Val if it could get me Dyson Daniels and another player for Ayton. Daniels stats aren't eye popping but I liked his defense and feel for the game when I watched the Pels this year. Or Trey Murphy would be a fantastic get.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Pels aren’t trading Murphy…but he’d be fantastic.

Based on what we’ve seen the offer would be Valunciunas and Nance. If we could get Herb that would be great

JNix

Post by JNix »

Valanciunas and Nance for Ayton would be perfect.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Its always so funny to hear national medias take on the suns and/or their players. Always way off the mark.
I love CP but guy isnt a playmaker anymore and honestly hes at level of player coach right now. Basically hes Udonis Haslem.
CP3 can still run an offense and distribute the ball at a high level. That is what they are talking about.
Herb Jones. Please and thank you.
I dont know man. CP struggles to bring the ball up, has no legs most nights and grinds your offense to an insanely slow pace. Dont think its a high level anymore but just my opinion.
CP3 fell off a lot last year. His shooting became unreliable and teams started sagging off him. He was still great as a passer and initiator, and he had intermittent games of good shooting, but they were fewer and farther between. And his defense is okay, especially steals, but he's increasingly unable to stay in front of faster or stronger guards. So I think overall he started to become a liability on the floor. I don't think it's fair to say he "isn't a playmaker anymore" nor that "he's Udonis Haslem". But I agree that he slows the pace of offense and that his value has diminished a lot on a team that likely will have its Big 3 handle the ball most of the time. You need to surround these guys with 3-and-D guards and wings mostly, not pure PGs and distributors who can't get their own shot.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

As long as we are looking at Parker, let's bring in Okafor. See which one gets hurt first in summer workouts.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JNix

Post by JNix »

Fair points Mori. Udonis Haslem might be an extreme example but CP was absolutely a liability on most nights. The game here or there where he had legs or could hit a J didnt outweigh the other aspects of his game.

I guess my point was more of how the media acts like CP is still a really good player. To me hes past that. 10-15 min a night ok, but media acting like Warriors got a player that will help them win. I just dont see it. Was a pure salary dump by the Warriors, to act like it was anything else is inaccurate.

And the whole Point God thing. If hes Point God what does that make Steve Nash? CP may have been a better defender than Nash but as a pure PG Nash to me was better.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:55 am
Its always so funny to hear national medias take on the suns and/or their players. Always way off the mark.
I love CP but guy isnt a playmaker anymore and honestly hes at level of player coach right now. Basically hes Udonis Haslem.
CP3 can still run an offense and distribute the ball at a high level. That is what they are talking about.
Herb Jones. Please and thank you.
I dont know man. CP struggles to bring the ball up, has no legs most nights and grinds your offense to an insanely slow pace. Dont think its a high level anymore but just my opinion.
CP3 fell off a lot last year. His shooting became unreliable and teams started sagging off him. He was still great as a passer and initiator, and he had intermittent games of good shooting, but they were fewer and farther between. And his defense is okay, especially steals, but he's increasingly unable to stay in front of faster or stronger guards. So I think overall he started to become a liability on the floor. I don't think it's fair to say he "isn't a playmaker anymore" nor that "he's Udonis Haslem". But I agree that he slows the pace of offense and that his value has diminished a lot on a team that likely will have its Big 3 handle the ball most of the time. You need to surround these guys with 3-and-D guards and wings mostly, not pure PGs and distributors who can't get their own shot.
You also have to factor in that he's going to be a year older and I would expect his production to drop off even more next season from where it was at this season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:16 am

Based on what we’ve seen the offer would be Valunciunas and Nance. If we could get Herb that would be great
Kira Lewis would also be good.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:33 pm
Split T wrote:

What do you see with Kira? I liked him in the draft, but he hasn't really played since his first season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Valanciunas would be intriguing.
He's not exactly fleet of foot, but he's huge, with a pterodactyl wingspan, and can bomb threes at an effective rate.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:56 pm
He's not exactly fleet of foot, but he's huge, with a pterodactyl wingspan, and can bomb threes at an effective rate.
Yeah, there will be some matchups that will play him off the floor. But I think he should be useful against Jokic.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:33 pm
Split T wrote:

What do you see with Kira? I liked him in the draft, but he hasn't really played since his first season.
I think he could be an effective scorer/shooter off the bench, with some ability to be disruptive in passing lanes, get to the basket, and distribute a little.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:59 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:56 pm
Yeah, there will be some matchups that will play him off the floor. But I think he should be useful against Jokic.
Yup. He was a 14 and 10 guy last year in 25 minutes. And played 79 games.
He's dependable. If the Suns want to run in some situations, he'd have limited applicability.
But I'd rather have him than McGee, who may be out of gas. JaVale looked a bit spent in the last quarter of his Suns' season.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Carno

Post by Carno »

I see a lot of discussion dependent on the Suns being over the 2nd apron, but these articles say they are not following the official calculations of the salary cap numbers for the upcoming season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/inside ... -cap-space
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/inside ... l-30-teams
Phoenix Suns

Above the tax: $10 million

Above the first apron: $3.1 million

Below the second apron: $7.5 million

Trade exception: $5 million

Who returns/joins: Devin Booker, Bradley Beal, Kevin Durant, Deandre Ayton, Cameron Payne (contract guaranteed), Jordan Goodwin (partial guarantee), Isaiah Todd and Ish Wainright (team option exercised)

Who might be gone: T.J. Warren, Torrey Craig, Damion Lee, Bismack Biyombo, Josh Okogie, Jock Landale, Darius Bazley and Terrence Ross
Despite these articles, I see everyone still saying that the Suns are over the 2nd apron. Is ESPN wrong? I'm too dumb to understand the new (and old) CBA, but maybe some of you can make sense of it.

JNix

Post by JNix »

Carno wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:05 am
I see a lot of discussion dependent on the Suns being over the 2nd apron, but these articles say they are not following the official calculations of the salary cap numbers for the upcoming season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/inside ... -cap-space
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/inside ... l-30-teams
Phoenix Suns

Above the tax: $10 million

Above the first apron: $3.1 million

Below the second apron: $7.5 million

Trade exception: $5 million

Who returns/joins: Devin Booker, Bradley Beal, Kevin Durant, Deandre Ayton, Cameron Payne (contract guaranteed), Jordan Goodwin (partial guarantee), Isaiah Todd and Ish Wainright (team option exercised)

Who might be gone: T.J. Warren, Torrey Craig, Damion Lee, Bismack Biyombo, Josh Okogie, Jock Landale, Darius Bazley and Terrence Ross
Despite these articles, I see everyone still saying that the Suns are over the 2nd apron. Is ESPN wrong? I'm too dumb to understand the new (and old) CBA, but maybe some of you can make sense of it.
They arent over the 2nd apron yet but they still need to fill out the roster. Once they fill out the roster (even minimum signings) they will be over the 2nd apron.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya what JNix said..believe we are at 175ish million with our 8 rostered players. So filling out the roster we will definitely go over that 182.5 second apron.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It might be possible to stay under if we waive Payne or only sign rookie minimums but that’s not going to happen.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Carno

Post by Carno »

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my point. Yes, I understand when the roster is complete, the Suns will be over the 2nd apron. I'm really asking, can the Suns make moves while currently under the 2nd apron and before the 2nd apron restrictions are applied? Like, for example, utilize the TPMLE?
Last edited by Carno on Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.