2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by JeremyG »

What’s hilarious is that if had been Booker that made the dunk, my statement would have received zero pushback.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:51 am
What’s hilarious is that if had been Booker that made the dunk, my statement would have received zero pushback.
I totally disagree. It's no shame that you haven't been around as long as some of us. It's hard to appreciate what happened before your time.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:06 am
The top 50 from the decade video also reminds me of how much I loved sweet Lou. IIRC he rode a bike to the arena.
Wow. I just watched the top 50 of the decade. That was fun. Yeah, loved Amundson. His unwavering hustle was something else! Also, it's funny. I kept saying where's Ulis' game winner? It's got to be up there. And uh, yeah. Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
Too bad we can't have the top 50 of every decade of Suns basketball. Probably don't have film of a lot of the earlier franchise moments.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Think that was also the game where he and Isaiah Thomas had a jump ball.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

JeremyG wrote:
Not true, I would have made the exact same set of comments, minus the addendum about the possibility of the player becoming a footnote or cautionary tale thirty or forty years down the line.
I don’t need to poll anyone. Objectively speaking, it’s the greatest play in Suns history from a logical standpoint, through process of elimination.
In fact, I'd push back on any play you might propose, if you're going to lead with the same smug self-assurance that what you're saying is the only possible answer, and any other response is beyond ridiculous. Your definition of "greatest" is not the only one that can apply, and your use of "[o]bjectively speaking" is laughable given that, for whatever reason, you've decided to make your persona on this message board so completely caught up in defending and promoting Deandre Ayton that you're simply not capable of being objective when it comes to that subject.
And yes I considered game 4 (Keith’s shot is literally in the clip I posted), but those plays did not win the game. Yes, they would have lost without them (same with Ayton’s), but they did not cause them to win (like Ayton’s).
Did you really? And what kind of logic is that? If you lose the game, you cannot then win the game. Are you saying that the ONLY plays that can be considered are ones that, all by themselves, took the team from a certain losing position to a certain winning position, and therefore, say, a shot to take the lead in a tied game shouldn't count? Are you sure you're not just arbitrarily narrowing the dataset to the one, single point that you've decided is the right one?

Also, I don't see your comment on the fact that those plays by Erickson and Sobers prevented an almost certain elimination, where Ayton's shot prevented an early 1-1 tie in a series which didn't go to seven games and which the Suns might easily still have won. Doesn't the overall competitive context matter?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:43 pm
Think that was also the game where he and Isaiah Thomas had a jump ball.
I was also in Vegas at Summer League for Ulis' rookie year where he hit a game winner. I was sitting right behind him and the basket so I could see that his shot was perfectly inline and I probably knew before most that it was going in.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Had to do a double take. Thought I was in the All Things Ayton thread for awhile.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:56 pm
Had to do a double take. Thought I was in the All Things Ayton thread for awhile.
Ayton is everywhere. He’s like Dolby sound. He’s all around you.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

For a moment there I thought you were comparing him to Dobby.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

JeremyG wrote:
When DA carries a team on his back and does what Booker does... We'll talk. You're being ridiculous.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:56 pm
No kidding...

pickle

Post by pickle »

Forgive me for not putting this in the everything Ayton thread. Don’t want to click into that monstrosity as every time I read a couple of pages four more appear magically.

Also forgive me if this has already been posted there. Good to see DA looking lean.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

He looks to be in great shape, which is awesome. His handles, in a video that’s supposedly highlighting his handles, still look Stanley-from-The-Office-esque.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Shabazz wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:47 pm
He looks to be in great shape, which is awesome. His handles, in a video that’s supposedly highlighting his handles, still look Stanley-from-The-Office-esque.
Some nice lay-ups though
((backs away slowly))

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Dribbling thru the legs a bunch of times in one spot 16ft from the basket and putting up a jumper isn't having "handles". It's just more of the same from him.

He does look leaner and bit bouncier, which should help him down low against the bigger bodies when he's boxing out and defending the post and trying to move people near the rim for those easy dunks he'll be getting off drives from Book, Beal and KD.

pickle

Post by pickle »

His left hand is still noticeably loose.

Is it me or does it look like he changed his shooting motion / release point a bit?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

His release point on the 3s looks a bit higher, less of a line drive push shot from his forehead.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Gladiator wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:41 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:47 pm
Some nice lay-ups though
((backs away slowly))
What? Did you expect him to decide to use his huge size and intimidating factor to throw it down? Yea, me neither… 😂 He’s dominAyton those layups something fierce.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:44 am
His release point on the 3s looks a bit higher, less of a line drive push shot from his forehead.
Cool he’s trying to develop it and all but we have enough three point shooters already…. We need him for rebounding and inside presence more than ever and he’s deciding to work on his 3? I would have been more impressed with a video of him pulling down a ton of rebounds and tossing in some putbacks, but still nice to see him not sitting around.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He sure is working hard on his gentle layups.