2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by JeremyG »

People are taking this to mean that he's going to sit out. But he doesn't actually say that. And I think he adds "again" to the end of it the second time he says it--like he's talking about future teams he might be on.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Verbal promises? Not in todays world.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sad thing is, despite this snafu, the Ben Simmons for Harden deal was still a great trade for Philly.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It'll be interesting to see what they get for him. He's still putting up good numbers, but hasn't seemed to buy in to any roster since Mike D coached him in Houston. He's not a leader, he's past his prime, and he hasn't wanted to play in for his last 3 teams. I'm just not sure who would give up a lot for him or where he would ask to be traded to.

Would he be willing to help Atlanta or Dallas take the next step?
Could Kerr handle him in Golden State?
Maybe the Knicks or Lakers make a play for him?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He wants to play James Harden ball, and combining that with his contract expiring and habit of being unfit or unhealthy for long stretches is making most teams leery of acquiring him.

He's at the point of his career where he needs to change to maintain longevity, but we've seen many examples of guys who never figure that out.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:47 pm
He wants to play James Harden ball, and combining that with his contract expiring and habit of being unfit or unhealthy for long stretches is making most teams leery of acquiring him.

He's at the point of his career where he needs to change to maintain longevity, but we've seen many examples of guys who never figure that out.
He's going to go the route of Carmelo Anthony. By the time he makes changes, he'll be a shell of himself and nobody will want him.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

He's going to go the route of Carmelo Anthony. By the time he makes changes, he'll be a shell of himself and nobody will want him.
These players have a hard time adapting their game. He could be a starter on a successful team if he got fit and became a third option. I hope suns stay away.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He wants to just go back to Houston, right?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Could we get a Sprewell situation where nobody will offer him a contract he will take?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think his game will age poorly, but it will be more about whether or not he can stay in shape and accept a lesser role without being a headache. He's still a ballhandler and playmaker with size who can shoot whereas Melo was really just a scorer who still had a star mentality. Iverson was similar in that once he lost his first step, he couldn't adjust/accept coming off the bench and being a 6th man or playmaker. Vince Carter adjusted his game to take a back seat and be more of a roleplaying mentor.

Harden's biggest problem right now his is rep and burning bridges. Execs could hold that against him in the future.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Harden is still very good….he’s not close to a Melo situation yet. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if it got to that someday

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:53 am
I don't think his game will age poorly, but it will be more about whether or not he can stay in shape and accept a lesser role without being a headache. He's still a ballhandler and playmaker with size who can shoot whereas Melo was really just a scorer who still had a star mentality. Iverson was similar in that once he lost his first step, he couldn't adjust/accept coming off the bench and being a 6th man or playmaker. Vince Carter adjusted his game to take a back seat and be more of a roleplaying mentor.

Harden's biggest problem right now his is rep and burning bridges. Execs could hold that against him in the future.
I feel like I’m in the middle on this one. Harden is a good ball handler and excellent passer, but he’s not actually that good of a shooter. His lower %s have been tolerated because he is the engine that drives the other players who can be highly specialized and focus on defense and catch and shoot, but if the rest of the team is actually well rounded then it comes down to whether Harden is able to adapt his game accordingly, and he has shown an consistent unwillingness to do so.

So on paper I feel that Harden will absolutely have utility but it probably doesn’t match his real life willingness to provide such utility if he weren’t just handed the reigns and be given total freedom.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:25 am
Could we get a Sprewell situation where nobody will offer him a contract he will take?
Well, we already have a Spreewell situation in that he's quite good at choking.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

That was my point. Harden is headed that route. He's not there today. But today, he's burning bridges and showcasing his ego over team. Just like Carmelo and many others have done. And it's a fast road when you can see the exit ramp on your career. Harden might be very talented today, but CP3 looked great then a bit of a shell pretty quickly.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

No doubt Harden is a problem child, but I’m not sure this is all his fault. Morey does not seem to be a good gm to work with. He deserves some of the blame imo. He didn’t handle Ben Simmons well either.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Morey is a more successful version of McDonough. I don’t think he places much emphasis on the human relationship side of his GM responsibilities.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

pickle wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:29 am
ShelC wrote:

I feel like I’m in the middle on this one. Harden is a good ball handler and excellent passer, but he’s not actually that good of a shooter. His lower %s have been tolerated because he is the engine that drives the other players who can be highly specialized and focus on defense and catch and shoot, but if the rest of the team is actually well rounded then it comes down to whether Harden is able to adapt his game accordingly, and he has shown an consistent unwillingness to do so.

So on paper I feel that Harden will absolutely have utility but it probably doesn’t match his real life willingness to provide such utility if he weren’t just handed the reigns and be given total freedom.
This is also how I see it. He's still a top 25-30 player in the league and was certainly on the fringe of All-NBA last season.

The problem is projecting him forward into the twilight of his career when his athleticism will inevitably decline. He hasn't shown a willingness to change his body, and he's already one of the slowest (laziest) off ball players in the league. It sure seems like there aren't any teams interested in building around his style, but I suppose playing for the Clippers under Lue could flip that perspective.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:59 pm
pickle wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:29 am
ShelC wrote:

This is also how I see it. He's still a top 25-30 player in the league and was certainly on the fringe of All-NBA last season.

The problem is projecting him forward into the twilight of his career when his athleticism will inevitably decline. He hasn't shown a willingness to change his body, and he's already one of the slowest (laziest) off ball players in the league. It sure seems like there aren't any teams interested in building around his style, but I suppose playing for the Clippers under Lue could flip that perspective.
I've seen him change his body. He's the only guy in the league I've seen with a beer belly.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

China will take Harden.

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu