2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by pickle »

This is a pretty interesting thread.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think the Rockets will be much improved. Most of the bad teams are going to be much improved in the West.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Portland is probably the only team in the West that won’t be trying to win. Spurs probably won’t be very good, but I don’t think they’ll tank. We’ll see on Utah. I expect they’ll do something similar to last year where they pull the plug once they’ve been eliminated.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Draft is not so strong this year. But next year with Cooper Flagg reclassifying …

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Giannis indicating that he may not resign with Milwaukee. Uh oh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Just seems like posturing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Giannis to Phx confirmed

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there’s a real chance he leaves. Where is Milwaukee going to be in 2 years when he can be a free agent?

Jrue will be a 35 year old FA
Middleton will be 34
Lopez will be 37 and unsigned.

Giannis will be 30. If they don’t make some changes, I see a real possibility he opts out and leaves in 2025. Or opts in and is traded.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:32 pm
Giannis to Phx confirmed
I'd shit your pants tbh.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea Milwaukee's on the other side of the mountain unless they reload in a hurry. Giannis knows it. They peaked with the title and are on the decline. They may still be competitive this year but they're not heading upwards.

If he asks out, I have the Knicks as his destination. Big market, tradeable assets and for the first time in a long time, have a solid winning roster with some real stability in the front office and the coaching staff. I think they loaded up with wings - IQ, RJ, Hart, DVD, Grimes - in anticipation of losing a few in a trade for a star. Some combo of those players with Randle as the centerpiece with picks. The Knicks still have depth and the Bucks stay competitive in the short term.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It won’t happen until at least next summer though and I’d guess two summers. Knicks would be a decent bet though.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:38 pm
Yea Milwaukee's on the other side of the mountain unless they reload in a hurry. Giannis knows it. They peaked with the title and are on the decline. They may still be competitive this year but they're not heading upwards.

If he asks out, I have the Knicks as his destination. Big market, tradeable assets and for the first time in a long time, have a solid winning roster with some real stability in the front office and the coaching staff. I think they loaded up with wings - IQ, RJ, Hart, DVD, Grimes - in anticipation of losing a few in a trade for a star. Some combo of those players with Randle as the centerpiece with picks. The Knicks still have depth and the Bucks stay competitive in the short term.
Who is DVD? :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:46 pm
ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Who is DVD? :P
Dick Van Dyke has been their 3rd string small forward since the 1950s. Can’t see them trading him though

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This really slipped under the radar over the weekend. Cam Johnson signed for 4yr/$94M and I don't think he's significantly better than PJ. What a fantastic bargain for the Hornets.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:06 pm
This really slipped under the radar over the weekend. Cam Johnson signed for 4yr/$94M and I don't think he's significantly better than PJ. What a fantastic bargain for the Hornets.

I agree. It will make the Ayton for Williams and Washington trade look even better.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think Cam Johnson is a significantly better player than PJ Washington.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Cam is marginally better. Both guys are role playing fringe starters whose skills can be maximized in different roles and schemes.

My point is that Cam isn't $7.5M a year better than PJ, so PJ is a more attractive player for creating a complete roster.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think I disagree with your assessment. Putting aside the whole wings are in vogue thing, Cam is the right kind of tweener who possesses one elite skill that opposing defenders must respect while PJ is solid across the board but not excellent in anything. Put in 2k terms, both of them may be 79-81 rated players but Cam is maybe 93 in threes and 70 in rebounds while PJ is 76 in both, which means Cam has a more functional ~80 rating because he has greater on court gravity and complements any star while PJ isn’t quite a good enough shooter to play 3 or maybe even the 4 consistently while being too small to defend bigger 4s and most 5s.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You're right about the shooting and that's why I also have Cam ahead of PJ. Two things about PJ that I think are important; he's never played on a good team and he's quite a bit more athletic than Cam, therefore a more versatile player. I also think Cam has basically peaked from a development standpoint while PJ is two years younger with a bit more runway to round out his game.

It goes back to what I said previously about scheme and role. I'm pretty confident we'll watch KBD this season and see him do a lot of Cam Johnson type stuff. I'm sure his 3% will be lower than Cam, but he's going to do other things slightly better than Cam did in the same role and I think PJ is KBD with upside remaining.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:30 am
You're right about the shooting and that's why I also have Cam ahead of PJ. Two things about PJ that I think are important; he's never played on a good team and he's quite a bit more athletic than Cam, therefore a more versatile player. I also think Cam has basically peaked from a development standpoint while PJ is two years younger with a bit more runway to round out his game.
I think it's a bit early to say that Cam has peaked in his development. He is still young (27) and hasn't really had a starring role on a team yet. I could see him getting better in the next few seasons. But I get what you're saying; he's unlikely to become a ton better than he is now.