POLL: Ayton/Nurkic trade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Would you have done the Ayton trade?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:27 pm

No
50%
Yes
50%

Total votes: 22

Split T

Re: POLL: Ayton/Nurkic trade

Post by Split T »

That’s still a lot of shots and I just don’t think he’ll get them. He’s still mostly a dependent player and the thing with dependent players is their shot numbers are very unpredictable. How they are defended impacts it…so does the ball handlers they play with.

It’s like being a RB in an option offense. They get the ball when the defense commits to the QB. If Ayton is playing well the defense will adjust. He’s also got an inexperienced QB who’s gonna call his own number now because he’s a score first guy.

Ayton will have to develop some counters that he never consistently showed here. If they come out on his middie, will he drive to the basket? Will be invite contact? Will he step out and shoot 3s? I do think it’s more likely he does that stuff in Portland, but it’s gonna be a learning curve…kinda like Mikal for that month when he got it thrust upon him. I am very curious to see it.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:35 pm
Vucevic could run some offense…he also averaged 3.8 assists that year…was on an Orlando team without good guards.

I don’t see that for Ayton. Scoot is the focus of that team. He’s going to have the ball. I don’t think he’s going to be advanced enough as a playmaker to get Ayton the shots to get to 20. 15ish shots is what I expect.

Vucevic does seem like a decent player type for Ayton to mold his game after though if he’s not going to become an aggressive player around the rim. Extend the range…develop some high post playmaking. If he does that I could see a 23/12/3 season at some point in his future like Vuc had.

Edit: I did miss Embiid…not sure how..I see him now at the top of my search. Still, Embiid barely got to 20 and he was the MVP. I just don’t see it for Ayton, but maybe Portland will surprise me
This is my more realistic scenario:

.330 * 1.8 3PA = 0.594 * 3 = 1.78 points
+
.770 * 3.9 FTA = 3.00 points
+
.587 * 16.4 (18.3 FGA - 1.9 3PA) 2PA = 9.627 * 2 = 19.25 points

= 24.0 ppg (another 0.8 2PA would get him to 25)
That’s a lot of calculations to end up with a wrong answer

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:09 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:35 pm
Vucevic could run some offense…he also averaged 3.8 assists that year…was on an Orlando team without good guards.

I don’t see that for Ayton. Scoot is the focus of that team. He’s going to have the ball. I don’t think he’s going to be advanced enough as a playmaker to get Ayton the shots to get to 20. 15ish shots is what I expect.

Vucevic does seem like a decent player type for Ayton to mold his game after though if he’s not going to become an aggressive player around the rim. Extend the range…develop some high post playmaking. If he does that I could see a 23/12/3 season at some point in his future like Vuc had.

Edit: I did miss Embiid…not sure how..I see him now at the top of my search. Still, Embiid barely got to 20 and he was the MVP. I just don’t see it for Ayton, but maybe Portland will surprise me
This is my more realistic scenario:

.330 * 1.8 3PA = 0.594 * 3 = 1.78 points
+
.770 * 3.9 FTA = 3.00 points
+
.587 * 16.4 (18.3 FGA - 1.9 3PA) 2PA = 9.627 * 2 = 19.25 points

= 24.0 ppg (another 0.8 2PA would get him to 25)
That’s a lot of calculations to end up with a wrong answer
Looks like somebody has too much free time. Trying to "prove" a point about a player that doesn't even play for the Suns anymore using hypotheticals.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:14 pm
And yet everyone loved Matrix... :twisted:
He was an all-star in his role.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:14 pm
And yet everyone loved Matrix... :twisted:
Marion busted his ass every single night.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wait a minute, I know you. You’re Deandre Ayton. I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Did I just meme compare D to Kareem? Shoot me now.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:58 am
Wait a minute, I know you. You’re Deandre Ayton. I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger, roger :D

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am
Cap wrote:

ZAZ shoulda sued Lucas for stealing that.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:45 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am
Cap wrote:

ZAZ shoulda sued Lucas for stealing that.
Funny... Never thought of that but he probably gave him a pass once he watched the prequels :lol: j/k

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Potter!!

Lol, your last name has stuck in my head ever since you revealed it when you posted about playing Hogwarts Legacy, which I still feel I need to get around to playing!!

Also, a long time ago, and in our own galaxy, I had assumed that the sequels were going to be better than the prequels.

😮‍💨

Cap

Post by Cap »

Cap wrote:
Wait a minute, I know you. You’re Deandre Ayton. I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during theyour first playoffs.
Had to fix the quote a bit to make it really fit.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:54 am
Potter!!

Lol, your last name has stuck in my head ever since you revealed it when you posted about playing Hogwarts Legacy, which I still feel I need to get around to playing!!

Also, a long time ago, and in our own galaxy, I had assumed that the sequels were going to be better than the prequels.

😮‍💨
Solid memory :)

Oh man.. We all thought the sequel trilogy would be better. What they did to Luke and Han was a travesty.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:14 pm
That’s still a lot of shots and I just don’t think he’ll get them. He’s still mostly a dependent player and the thing with dependent players is their shot numbers are very unpredictable. How they are defended impacts it…so does the ball handlers they play with.

It’s like being a RB in an option offense. They get the ball when the defense commits to the QB. If Ayton is playing well the defense will adjust. He’s also got an inexperienced QB who’s gonna call his own number now because he’s a score first guy.

Ayton will have to develop some counters that he never consistently showed here. If they come out on his middie, will he drive to the basket? Will be invite contact? Will he step out and shoot 3s? I do think it’s more likely he does that stuff in Portland, but it’s gonna be a learning curve…kinda like Mikal for that month when he got it thrust upon him. I am very curious to see it.
18 is not that many shots. He averaged nearly 16 FGA (18 per 36) for the 22-game stretch where Booker was out, when he was basically the co-leading scorer with Mikal, and that was under Monty who refused to adjust his system for Ayton when Booker/Paul were out.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.