Around the League: Week 14 1/26-2/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 14 1/26-2/1

Post by Mori Chu »

This Grantland article resonates with me as a Suns fan.

"Mr. Silver, Tear Down That Wall: It’s Time to Let the 16 Best Teams Into the NBA Playoffs"

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mr-si ... -playoffs/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Found this graph interesting. NBA players who are hurting their teams. From Reddit NBA.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:This Grantland article resonates with me as a Suns fan.

"Mr. Silver, Tear Down That Wall: It’s Time to Let the 16 Best Teams Into the NBA Playoffs"

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mr-si ... -playoffs/
I am all for that, but I think you have to restructure the entire league to make that happen. I don't think we really need an East vs West thing anyway.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Found this graph interesting. NBA players who are hurting their teams. From Reddit NBA.

I tried to tell you the Lakers play better without Kobe.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:Found this graph interesting. NBA players who are hurting their teams. From Reddit NBA.

I'll use that graphic when I pitch Bledsoe to the Utah Jazz.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:

I tried to tell you the Lakers play better without Kobe.
Who wouldn't believe that notion besides the Kobe stans?

carey

Post by carey »

Demarcus Cousins not making the ASG is a travesty of epic proportions. How the fuck do you keep a guy averaging 24 & 12 off the All-Star team?

Edit: He'll probably be Kobe's injury replacement, which is dumb but whatever.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:Demarcus Cousins not making the ASG is a travesty of epic proportions. How the fuck do you keep a guy averaging 24 & 12 off the All-Star team?

Klay Thompson might be Kobe's replacement. idk
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:The Mavs have quietly struggled a bit since they acquired Rondo. I don't have the record in front of me, but they're something like 11-9 since they got him.
subtraction by addition. i bet if they could undo the rondo-wright trade, they'd do it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:Demarcus Cousins not making the ASG is a travesty of epic proportions. How the fuck do you keep a guy averaging 24 & 12 off the All-Star team?

That's why I think the voting should be swapped. Coaches in each conference pick starting 5, fans pick rest.

carey

Post by carey »

Korver's another snub. At least Teague got in and of course Millsap & Horford. Bummer for Korver though. I thought he deserved it. It's probably because he doesn't average enough points, but he's going to be the first person ever to shoot 50/50/90 for a season and qualify (sorry Kerr). That's it's own honor I suppose but it's a bit of a travesty too.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

HOW IN THE F*CK CAN KEVIN DURANT MAKE THE ALL-STAR SQUAD MISSING 24 GAMES ????????
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Indy wrote:That's why I think the voting should be swapped. Coaches in each conference pick starting 5, fans pick rest.
Not a bad idea, Indy ! ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't know if I'm in favor of having 4 Hawks while 1 Grizzly, 1 Blazer and 1 Rocket (and 0 Mavs) make it. Adjusting for schedule difficulty, their records are not that much less impressive than the Hawks.

And doesn't sending Durant and Westbrook, 2 stars who have missed many games from a team not currently in the playoff picture send the opposite message as selecting 3-4 Hawks?

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Damian Lillard deserves to be in over Westbrook, plain and simple.

carey

Post by carey »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Indy wrote:That's why I think the voting should be swapped. Coaches in each conference pick starting 5, fans pick rest.
Not a bad idea, Indy ! ;)
Ugh, it's bad enough they get to pick 5 already. I don't want to give them 7.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

True. Maybe they pick their top 3 and coaches pick the rest?

carey

Post by carey »

I wonder if that rumor about Dwight's knee is going to wind up true, cause sure sounds like the other shoe is dropping: LINK
Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard will get a second opinion on his injured right knee and could miss extended time, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

As the Rockets embarked on a two-game Eastern Conference trip to Boston and Detroit on Thursday, Howard traveled elsewhere to get further evaluation on his swollen knee,
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

I see no need to change the longstanding tradition of how the AS teams are picked. Sometimes the fans will vote in a starter who doesn't deserve to be on the team, and as a result another borderline case will be "unjustly" excluded, but I don't see it as a big problem. If you do, then why leave room for fan selections at all?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:I see no need to change the longstanding tradition of how the AS teams are picked. Sometimes the fans will vote in a starter who doesn't deserve to be on the team, and as a result another borderline case will be "unjustly" excluded, but I don't see it as a big problem. If you do, then why leave room for fan selections at all?
Because they just have to have a vote because they always have. (I know...) But I would say most years there is at least one or two starters that don't deserve to be there. Fortunately Kobe won't be playing.

I actually like the idea of having last years All NBA teams face each other. There would be a draft with the winningest coach with the first pick. Anyone that is out of the league/injured would be replaced by the coaches vote. Yeah, I like that idea!