Suns News: Week 15 2/2-2/8

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
cbesch5

Re: Suns News: Week 15 2/2-2/8

Post by cbesch5 »

SDC wrote:
Uncle_Gene wrote:Suns are currently 28-22. A year ago at this time after 50 games the Suns were 30-20, 2 games better.

They got to get things in gear. Suns lost to the Grizz cause of missed freethrows (esp.in the first half) and of course late game execution. It's going to be harder making the playoffs this year than last with the Thunder and the Pelicans on their heels.
i predicted this team will win 6 games less than last season.
And if a couple of freak bounces would have gone our way, we could have 32 wins and be 2 games better than last years pace.

I don't think it is out of the question to think we can get hot and finish 22-10 to get to 50 wins

Indy

Post by Indy »

cbesch5 wrote:I think overall the most encouraging thing to take from that article is our age vs that of the west.

When Simmons mentions (Bledsoe - Morii - Len - IT) then(Randolph - CP3 - Duncan - Parker - Nowitzki, etc), it really allows me to believe if we keep improving and see some decline from some other teams, we can be in the mix/middle of conf for years to come.
Well, CP3 is leaps and bounds better than Bledsoe. It isn't close. Even an ancient Duncan is light years ahead of Keef. Same with Dirk. And I understand your logic, but I am not sure how much better either Morrii or IT can be. I can see Bledsoe improving some, and Len improving a lot. But I still don't see that as a championship team, even if you throw in a flashy free agent signing. I feel like we would do something like the Googs signing again, thinking that is a missing piece. Ugh.

By the way, I hate that I feel this way. I wish I could just see that our team is destined for greatness, but I just don't.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think it is out of the question to think we can get hot and finish 22-10 to get to 50 wins
It may not be out of the question, but I think it is very unlikely. We aren't built to hold leads, and that is really a tough position to be in when you aren't playing the bottom half of the East.

cbesch5

Post by cbesch5 »

I honestly don't see the current roster as a 'championship team' either. But as a fan, I would be more than happy with a perennial playoff team, considering just 2 years ago we were one of the worst teams in the league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

cbesch5 wrote:I think overall the most encouraging thing to take from that article is our age vs that of the west.

When Simmons mentions (Bledsoe - Morii - Len - IT) then(Randolph - CP3 - Duncan - Parker - Nowitzki, etc), it really allows me to believe if we keep improving and see some decline from some other teams, we can be in the mix/middle of conf for years to come.
At the same time, you can go the opposite way and talk about the youth of Anthony Davis, Andrew Wiggins, and Utah's core of Exum-Hayward-Favors.

Just waiting for superior teams to age to improve our mediocrity doesn't sound like a strategy.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:Just waiting for superior teams to age to improve our mediocrity doesn't sound like a strategy.
I honestly don't think our ceiling is mediocrity. I do think we need at least one move to become capable of being an elite team. But our core is so young, and a decent number of these guys haven't played together very long. I think with a few tweaks plus natural progression and improvement we could be a contender.

I don't buy that Utah has a championship core. I love Anthony Davis don't buy into the Pelicans without a LOT of moves for that team around him. I think we can be 3rd-5th in the West for the next 5-6 years straight if we want to be. That sounds pretty good to me.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Just waiting for superior teams to age to improve our mediocrity doesn't sound like a strategy.
I honestly don't think our ceiling is mediocrity. I do think we need at least one move to become capable of being an elite team. But our core is so young, and a decent number of these guys haven't played together very long. I think with a few tweaks plus natural progression and improvement we could be a contender.

I don't buy that Utah has a championship core. I love Anthony Davis don't buy into the Pelicans without a LOT of moves for that team around him. I think we can be 3rd-5th in the West for the next 5-6 years straight if we want to be. That sounds pretty good to me.
Which move do you see that we can make to put us in the top 5 teams this year?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The current version of the Suns are a great looking car, with many options, but no engine.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Hi everyone, another lurker here.
I just wanted to say, that even though this team may appear to have "average" future, you never know. If I remember correctly, Houston was in a very similar position before getting Harden and consequently Howard (only they were stacking PFs not PGs :) ). Also I believe many would say Hawks plateaued before this season, but now they're looking extremely good.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't buy that Utah has a championship core. I love Anthony Davis don't buy into the Pelicans without a LOT of moves for that team around him.
Regarding Utah, I'm not saying they have a championship core. I'm saying they have the pieces in place to compete with the Suns and to surpass them.

Regarding New Orleans, they have a pretty bad roster and a bad coach NOW and before last night, they were tied in the lost column with the Suns. That organization has a larger margin for error because they have a player that is one of the best in the entire league, top 3-5. The Suns don't have that.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:they have a player that is one of the best in the entire league, top 3-5.
(Gasp)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Hermen wrote:Hi everyone, another lurker here.
I just wanted to say, that even though this team may appear to have "average" future, you never know. If I remember correctly, Houston was in a very similar position before getting Harden and consequently Howard (only they were stacking PFs not PGs :) ). Also I believe many would say Hawks plateaued before this season, but now they're looking extremely good.
You're right, you never know.

BUT, Houston isn't a contender yet, IMO. Also, the Suns aren't positioned like Houston was. Houston hadn't even committed to a core. Their roster was very much in transition. They weren't locked into guys the Morris Twins and Bledsoe.

Atlanta is having a phenomenal season, but we haven't even seen them in the playoffs yet. After they dispense of whatever dreadful fodder they face in the 1st round, they could have a horrific time if they draw, say Cleveland int he second round.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:they have a player that is one of the best in the entire league, top 3-5.
(Gasp)
:lol:

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Welcome. Please feel free to post instead of lurking. Don't let the bullies (*cough*Superbone*cough*) discourage you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Welcome. Please feel free to post instead of lurking. Don't let the bullies (*cough*Superbone*cough*) discourage you.
Bazz dropping some truth in here.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

INFORMER wrote:BUT, Houston isn't a contender yet, IMO. Also, the Suns aren't positioned like Houston was. Houston hadn't even committed to a core. Their roster was very much in transition. They weren't locked into guys the Morris Twins and Bledsoe.
I agree they aren't contenders, but I don't think they need much to become one. As far as I know they can just "figure it out" and go on a roll. Also prior to the Harden trade I think they barely missed the playoffs for 3 years, which I find people hate the most when rebuilding. And I'm not entirely convinced the Twins or Bledsoe prevent a trade for superstar. I think you need young prospects and draft picks for such a trade, both of which Suns have. (For the record I don't really know what to think of Twins' contracts, but I find Bledsoe's too big, especially since he didn't appear to have any other choice.) Of course, there needs to be a superstar to trade for...
The thing that surprises me the most is the lack of opportunity the prospects get (except for Len), because they are probably the easiest way for the team to gain "value". Especially considering the hype before this draft.
Shabazz wrote:Welcome. Please feel free to post instead of lurking. Don't let the bullies (*cough*Superbone*cough*) discourage you.
Thanks. I've never felt discouraged, I usually just have nothing meaningful to add. I can't really watch many games due to time zone difference. Even now most of what I've said in this post was probably said a couple of times here already :)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Houston won't be a contender anytime soon with their roster. It's fool's gold. Harden doesn't play defense, Howard is soft and injury prone, Smith is a bad fit. They won't get past the 2nd round with this core.

And why are the Jazz so scary? Trey Burke? Hayward? Exum? Favors? Gobert? Nice young players but I'm not ready to anoint them just yet.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Exum was brutal in the last 5 games going 2/21 from the field combined in about 25 minutes per game.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we need to abandon the starting-two-PGs paradigm and trade one of the PGs for a true SG who is a lights-out 3point shooter. I could see a guy like Afflalo being a huge upgrade. I'd LOVE to get Jimmy Butler; I wonder if we could outbid Chicago for him.

We also really need better SFs. I could see Paul George being a fit if he gets healthy. I'm intrigued by Tobias Harris. Maybe Wilson Chandler? I kind of wish we'd thrown the bank at Gordon Hayward, in retrospect. I don't know.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
I think we need to abandon the starting-two-PGs paradigm and trade one of the PGs for a true SG who is a lights-out 3point shooter. I could see a guy like Afflalo being a huge upgrade. I'd LOVE to get Jimmy Butler; I wonder if we could outbid Chicago for him.

We also really need better SFs. I could see Paul George being a fit if he gets healthy. I'm intrigued by Tobias Harris. Maybe Wilson Chandler? I kind of wish we'd thrown the bank at Gordon Hayward, in retrospect. I don't know.
Afflalo has been bad this year from 3. Maybe he can return to his good years, maybe not. And they guys has only played a full season once in his career. I don't see that getting better in his 30s.

What I still struggle with is that I would think Bledsoe or Markeef would be our best player in that scenario, and we can't win like that.