Game Day: Rockets (35-16) @ Suns (29-24), Tues 2/10/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Rockets (35-16) @ Suns (29-24), Tues 2/10/15

Post by ShelC »

Hornacek is actually disappointing me this year. It's almost like he's trying to be too nice and political by not putting his foot down with guys and establishing a rotation. It's like the players are just screwing up and making bad plays and he's shrugging his shoulders going "Oh well it happens".

Indy

Post by Indy »

This may not be fair, but I get the sense that he isn't a Head Coach. He is a coach (small c). He seems like a guy that can really make a difference in a player's career, if he listens. But he doesn't seem like a guy that can make people listen. It is too bad we have so many low BBIQ guys on our roster. For a guy with such a high one, and who played for Cotton and Sloan, this has to kill him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I agree, I think he's a guy that wants to let his players play, rather than stomp his feet and call out plays like a Van Gundy or Carlisle or Rivers. So in that sense, maybe that's why we were so successful with Dragic at the helm making those decisions last year. He's got the bball IQ Hornacek wants his PG to have (the way MikeD had Stevie). Bledsoe's probably more of a guy who needs to be directed and told what to do from the sidelines and really coached up.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Ugh- that play last night when Tucker and Bledsoe botched the inbound. Totally Tucker's fault, but...ugh.
Yeah. Ugh. It was totally PJ's fault and Bledsoe was livid.
But Tucker was even more disappointing on that play. He looked like he was trying to argue with Bledsoe. Tucker's immediate response to should have to say "my bad" and put his arm around Bledsoe, slap his butt, tap his head, something to express remorse and camaraderie. But it was just more of the same rotten attitude that has spread through this team link gangrene.
Exactly. At first it was a little unclear what happened. But after you watch it it was 100% Tucker's fault. Bledsoe clearly wanted to inbound quickly, get a pass and take off. What was Tucker thinking and what gripe did he have with EB?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:This may not be fair, but I get the sense that he isn't a Head Coach. He is a coach (small c). He seems like a guy that can really make a difference in a player's career, if he listens. But he doesn't seem like a guy that can make people listen. It is too bad we have so many low BBIQ guys on our roster. For a guy with such a high one, and who played for Cotton and Sloan, this has to kill him.
I don't think that's fair necessarily. Good coaches don't have to have a specific personality type. I think he's the kind of coach you can win a title with. He's made some mistakes this year (offense-defense subs, weird rotation stuff, never trotting out the young guys), but coaches improve just like players do. He's only been at it 1.5 years.

And the one-on-one nature of our offense is as much McDonough's fault as it is Hornacek's. He has a team of one-on-one players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I really like Jeff, and hope he grows into it. I would love for it to work out here with him. And to your point, it has only been 18 months.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wasn't there a Shaq'in a Fool recently with a similar botched in bounds after a basket?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:I think we are stuck with IT over Green, since IT is locked up and Green isn't. That said, I would prefer Green on a 5-6M/year deal than IT's.
green or IT? i'd rather let go of bledsoe and his contract.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote: And the one-on-one nature of our offense is as much McDonough's fault as it is Hornacek's. He has a team of one-on-one players.
Yep. You have to put your coach in a position to succeed. And you have to understand what type of players you're making a commitment to. Tucker, Bledsoe, and the Morris Twins all have contract security and they're the worse attitudes on the team. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why do you think Eric has a bad attitude?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Attitude probably isn't the right word. I just think he has a poor mental approach to the game. He loses focus on the court, his motor is inconsistent, and this is besides his shaky basketball IQ.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:Attitude probably isn't the right word. I just think he has a poor mental approach to the game. He loses focus on the court, his motor is inconsistent, and this is besides his shaky basketball IQ.
That's all true. The others you mentioned do seem to have bad attitudes though. That's why I asked.