Suns hire Mike Budenholzer as head coach

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer as head coach

Post by The Bobster »

After a season of no passion or direction, I like what I saw today.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vogel seemed like an emotionless robot in his presser, what a total 180. I am cautiously optimistic, I do believe this team will be better, probably not a finals contender because of how top heavy it is, but the talent will be better utilized.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 2:26 pm
I just started watching. First thing is everybody mispronouncing his name (it's bud like from a flower or Budweiser) including McCoy and Jones (the only people other than Bud to talk so far.) It was cool to see Mike worship McCoy.

ETA: I may have been led astray. Bud himself pronounced it the way we've always heard it when introducing his dad.

ETA: OK, he just addressed the pronunciation directly. He says it bood but you can also say it bud but he'll probably get in trouble when he gets home. Apparently, it's a long story but it sounds like bud was the original correct pronunciation by which his father goes by.
I'm sure there will be a contingent here calling him Coach Boob by Spring time if things don't go well.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

rhylek wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:51 pm
I never listen to those presentations, but I'm impressed how good of a communicator Bud seems to be. I didn't feel that with Vogel.
And he's so happy to coach the Suns, it's telling how bad were McD/Sarver if he choose Milwaukee over Phoenix the last time...
He said he was happy to be coaching the Suns in a couple of different ways. The first he said he would coach this team anywhere, Alaska, South Pole, whatever. That made me think he was excited to work with the Book, KD, and Beal. The second was that he was actually coaching the Phoenix Suns, HIS hometown team. He talked about his dad drilling him on Westphal moves, loving Double A Alvan Adams and Sweet D Walter Davis.

He also said he persued this job. He WANTS to be here.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
I just started watching. First thing is everybody mispronouncing his name (it's bud like from a flower or Budweiser) including McCoy and Jones (the only people other than Bud to talk so far.) It was cool to see Mike worship McCoy.
He grew up listening to him on the radio in Holbrook! How the heck did Al seem to get 10 years younger than he was a year ago?! Amazing.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 pm
Vogel seemed like an emotionless robot in his presser, what a total 180. I am cautiously optimistic, I do believe this team will be better, probably not a finals contender because of how top heavy it is, but the talent will be better utilized.
That's all I want at this point. I want to enjoy watching Suns basketball again.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:11 pm
Superbone wrote:
He grew up listening to him on the radio in Holbrook! How the heck did Al seem to get 10 years younger than he was a year ago?! Amazing.
That's what retirement will do for you. :D

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:11 pm
Superbone wrote:
I’m always impressed with how strong his voice sounds.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

I love the hire.

Sign Payne as PG free agent.

Use this years draft pick on best 4/5 available when we pick and develop him!
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I’m cool with signing Payne asa bench player.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 6:35 pm
Superbone wrote:

ETA: I may have been led astray. Bud himself pronounced it the way we've always heard it when introducing his dad.

ETA: OK, he just addressed the pronunciation directly. He says it bood but you can also say it bud but he'll probably get in trouble when he gets home. Apparently, it's a long story but it sounds like bud was the original correct pronunciation by which his father goes by.
I'm sure there will be a contingent here calling him Coach Boob by Spring time if things don't go well.
Boobenholzer. I like it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Fun fact. I was born in Winslow, AZ, the closest town to Holbrook, and my parents moved to Holbrook for a year before my dad said "I need a better life for my family" and moved us to Phoenix so he could become a lineman. My mom was born and raised in Winslow with 9 sisters and 2 brothers. Our mail lady is from Holbrook.

Yesterday when our mail lady was dropping off mail, I asked if she heard the Suns news about our new coach. She said "yes", very excitedly and said she went to school with Mike, that he was the student body president and that his dad was her mother's teacher when her mother was younger. She was so excited that the Suns hired him.

Very cool stuff!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 8:31 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 6:35 pm
Superbone wrote:

Boobenholzer. I like it.
If I told you you had a nice figure, would you hold it against me?

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 9:27 am
Fun fact. I was born in Winslow, AZ, the closest town to Holbrook, and my parents moved to Holbrook for a year before my dad said "I need a better life for my family" and moved us to Phoenix so he could become a lineman. My mom was born and raised in Winslow with 9 sisters and 2 brothers. Our mail lady is from Holbrook.

Yesterday when our mail lady was dropping off mail, I asked if she heard the Suns news about our new coach. She said "yes", very excitedly and said she went to school with Mike, that he was the student body president and that his dad was her mother's teacher when her mother was younger. She was so excited that the Suns hired him.

Very cool stuff!
I was born up that way as well…Show Low/Pinetop…but my family moved to the Phoenix area when I was 4

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

My dad moved us when I was around 3. Very cool Split!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 10:07 am
My dad moved us when I was around 3. Very cool Split!
I've always thought you guys were winners and had a lot to show but your highs are much more numerous than your lows.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 9:27 am
Fun fact. I was born in Winslow, AZ, the closest town to Holbrook, and my parents moved to Holbrook for a year before my dad said "I need a better life for my family" and moved us to Phoenix so he could become a lineman.
Did he play for the Cardinals?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm
Just like you were "proud" of the 49-win season your awesome roster delivered?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It is still baffling that Bud was a dead man walking in Milwaukee the year the Suns faced them in the finals, and winning it all is the only thing that bought him more time there. I know they felt the franchise was underachieving with him, but I never thought he was the problem. And Milwaukee still can't get the coaching situation right; the buffoonery that occurred there this season is even more baffling than the previous Budenholzer situation.

I think he is a good coach, and this is probably the best option for this Suns team. I hope he doesn't take the fall if/when this team fails to deliver. I think he could have some value once we're done with the Durant-Beal era.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:57 am
It is still baffling that Bud was a dead man walking in Milwaukee the year the Suns faced them in the finals, and winning it all is the only thing that bought him more time there. I know they felt the franchise was underachieving with him, but I never thought he was the problem. And Milwaukee still can't get the coaching situation right; the buffoonery that occurred there this season is even more baffling than the previous Budenholzer situation.

I think he is a good coach, and this is probably the best option for this Suns team. I hope he doesn't take the fall if/when this team fails to deliver. I think he could have some value once we're done with the Durant-Beal era.
Yeah, id really like to give him a long term shot, even if the big 3 doesn't work, he's a good coach, I'm tired of the turnover, also not really sure they could do better.