Suns News: Week 17 2/16-2/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Suns News: Week 17 2/16-2/22

Post by iLLmatic »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:At least Bledsoe kept his mouth shut throughout the whole offseason
Easier to disappear in the offseason than during the regular season.
Did Bledsoe say anything at all during the season last year about his impending free agency?
Different circumstance though, Bledsoe was a restricted free agent.

carey

Post by carey »

iLLmatic wrote:I don't even know what to think anymore about this situation. I'm mad at Goran because of the team's success we had last year proves that him and Bledsoe can co-exist, but I'm also mad at the Suns for ignoring his requests to change the roster to suit him better. It feels like we haven't had a competent front office since 2004-2005.
How can you be mad at that? I don't understand. Every time some star does it on another team we murder him. "Can't let the inmates run the asylum!" or "Why not just name LeBron GM?!" It sure seems a bit hypocritical to me is all. Again, this wasn't a "the team is suffering please improve it" request. It was a "I'm not getting my touches and my performance is suffering" request made because he's a FA and he wants that big contract. This play had nothing to do with the team. It's all about Goran being selfish and wanting what's best for Goran right now, team be damned. I'm surprised so many of you are o.k. with it honestly.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:I It was a "I'm not getting my touches and my performance is suffering" request made because he's a FA and he wants that big contract.
If you want to think that, fine. But don't offer it up as confirmed reality.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

iLLmatic wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:At least Bledsoe kept his mouth shut throughout the whole offseason
Did Bledsoe say anything at all during the season last year about his impending free agency?
How is that any different? If anything, he'd be better off voicing his displeasure to increase the likelihood teams would be willing to sign him to an offer sheet thinking Suns won't match if he's unhappy

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

We just do not know all the facts.

I still think the Zoran thing is an underrated issue in all this. His restlessness probably is adding uel to the fire. As of october dragic was sounding like re-signing with Phoenix was almost a given, then it went to less of a sure thing but still "In the end I want to be here but its a business" to now "I've been asking for changes for 2 years". Did he think we were going to trade Bledsoe mid-season? On top of that he seems very very friendly with Bledsoe. They seem to get along fine.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:I It was a "I'm not getting my touches and my performance is suffering" request made because he's a FA and he wants that big contract.
I'm honestly perplexed how you could think otherwise. He said it himself at practice today. He's angry he has to stand in the corner. He wants to run his own team. What am I missing that would have you think otherwise. Spell it out to me like I have no brain.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:My take right now is this, there's been a chemistry issue this year and it's starting to look like that issue was Goran Dragic.
A theory well-fueled by the always reputable RealGM insiders.

Anyways, we'll see what happens once Dragic is traded. That should tell us a lot.
First post here - a shame it has to be under such dire circumstances. But before I say what I say, I gotta prelude by also saying that I used to lurk here years and years ago and it was probably my favourite board even though I couldn't post here; I never knew how to sign up (!) so thought it was an exclusive invite only board or something. Then i thought the place got closed down - phxsuns.net no longer exists - so to be posting here for the first time in 2015..let's just say I'm feeling pretty stoked right now :)

So whatsup all, and onto my piece..

I pinned the blame for this thing more or less on RMcD (with some help from Bledsoe, Orlando, Horny etc) but, like any argument, it's usually both sides that come out looking pretty bad. Using the playground defence on behalf of Dragic, i think it's safe to say that RMcD started it.

Interesting point though about Dragic being behind the chemistry issues which, from what I can gather, stems from there being a dust up between Dragic and IT, where upstanding gentleman that he is, Morris (not sure which one), stepped in to separate the two; it sounds like a chunk of the team subsequently sided with IT.

Could Dragic's reaction yesterday - looking like a pretty poor one as we speak - therefore not only be a function of RMcD's stupid acquisition of IT that killed our goodwill but, also, a case of feeling bullied? A corrupt culture where bullying pervades would fit in with both the high number of tech's this team has, McMorris's outrageous tongue lashing of the coach in public and an 'out of character (is that fair?) public lash out' from Dragic.

It's just a hunch as Dragic seems like one of those guys who has all the skills but isn't so confident personally (not a bad thing) and big egos and attitudes - particularly the ones you might think Morrisx2, Thomas and maybe Bledsoe might possess - could easily, collectively, get on top of him.

This one is ugly however it pans out.
Last edited by 3rdside on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I'm honestly perplexed how you could think otherwise. He said it himself at practice today. He's angry he has to stand in the corner. He wants to run his own team. What am I missing that would have you think otherwise. Spell it out to me like I have no brain.
Yes, he has said he is unhappy with his role. But it is you that's connecting that to his desire to get paid.

carey

Post by carey »

3rdside wrote:First post here - a shame it has to be under such dire circumstances. But before I say what I say, I gotta prelude by also saying that I used to lurk here years and years ago and it was probably my favourite board even though I couldn't post here; I never knew how to sign up (!) so thought it was an exclusive invite only board or something. Then i thought the place got closed down - phxsuns.net no longer exists - so to be posting here for the first time in 2015..let's just say I'm feeling pretty stoked right now :)
Welcome to the board. Sose had registration turned off at the old board for years. You had to contact him directly for an account if you could figure out how.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:Yes, he has said he is unhappy with his role. But it is you that's connecting that to his desire to get paid.
How can you not? He's never complained about it before and all of a sudden he goes public 2 days before the trade deadline in the final season before he becomes a FA? Please explain to me in black and white what you think is going on here and how that assumption is incorrect. I'm seriously dying to know.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Welcome 3rd side. Heard about the dust up with IT.

Rejecting the whole "he's being bullied" notion. Dragic is supposedly very close to Tucker and I have seen him as recently as the Utah game joking with Bledsoe on the court.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Yes, he has said he is unhappy with his role. But it is you that's connecting that to his desire to get paid.
How can you not? He's never complained about it before and all of a sudden he goes public 2 days before the trade deadline in the final season before he becomes a FA? Please explain to me in black and white what you think is going on here and how that assumption is incorrect. I'm seriously dying to know.
I haven't even touched on the fact that the confirmed teams on his list are all big market teams. Teams that are currently pretty terrible. Why would you want to go to a big market team that is currently awful? For the very large contract and for the sizable endorsement opportunities. I guess he could just really want to be in Los Angeles or New York though. I think you have to actively work to not see what's going on here or you just have to have to really have a soft spot for Goran. Or maybe both.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
How can you not?
Because there's nothing to support or confirm it. I believe Goran is unhappy with his role. Is that the end of it? I'm not sure. But despite that uncertainty, I'm not just going to latch on to whatever theory makes sense to me and present it as reality.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

carey wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:I don't even know what to think anymore about this situation. I'm mad at Goran because of the team's success we had last year proves that him and Bledsoe can co-exist, but I'm also mad at the Suns for ignoring his requests to change the roster to suit him better. It feels like we haven't had a competent front office since 2004-2005.
How can you be mad at that? I don't understand. Every time some star does it on another team we murder him. "Can't let the inmates run the asylum!" or "Why not just name LeBron GM?!" It sure seems a bit hypocritical to me is all. Again, this wasn't a "the team is suffering please improve it" request. It was a "I'm not getting my touches and my performance is suffering" request made because he's a FA and he wants that big contract. This play had nothing to do with the team. It's all about Goran being selfish and wanting what's best for Goran right now, team be damned. I'm surprised so many of you are o.k. with it honestly.
Because he's our best player, and it was quite obvious to everyone on the board that the 3 pg system was not working this year. The other two point guards were marginalizing our best player.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote: Why would you want to go to a big market team that is currently awful? For the very large contract and for the sizable endorsement opportunities. I guess he could just really want to be in Los Angeles or New York though.
LA and NY also don't have anyone substantial playing the point. Ditto for Miami. Sacramento doesn't have any problems spending, and yet he won't consider them. And we've heard the list could be as long as 7 teams, so again, you're assuming a lot.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

specialsauce wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
How is that any different? If anything, he'd be better off voicing his displeasure to increase the likelihood teams would be willing to sign him to an offer sheet thinking Suns won't match if he's unhappy
Because if a team wanted to sign Bledsoe to a contract offer, their money would be tied up on that offer, thus, missing plan b or c if the Suns decided to match at the last minute. Which by the way the Suns already warned any team before the free agency period began that they would match any offer.

carey

Post by carey »

You guys are definitely giving Goran the benefit of the doubt. Leeway I've never seen you give another player before. Interesting. Maybe it isn't about the money at all. Maybe we'll see him in Indiana making $13M a year next season running point by himself and I'll be dead wrong.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

IT skills have improved since those days but thanks for clarifying anyway.

Maybe bullied is too strong - maybe not - but Dragic was marginalised on the court and with the Thugbros running the show, who's to say what went on behind the scenes. Dragic's reaction is looking vendetta heavy almost right now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

BEFORE this went south, reports were already coming out that LA was prepared to offer him $20 million a season. So why would Goran, AFTER that report, be afraid he wasn't getting enough touches to get that payday?

It's not benefit of the doubt or leeway; it's refusing to run with unsupported narratives.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

carey wrote:You guys are definitely giving Goran the benefit of the doubt. Leeway I've never seen you give another player before. Interesting. Maybe it isn't about the money at all. Maybe we'll see him in Indiana making $13M a year next season running point by himself and I'll be dead wrong.
It's not like we're in any position to run off our best player. Had the front office listened to his grumblings about the lopsided roster which equated to lack of touches, maybe we'd have a better record right now and wouldn't be trying to figure out who we are going to trade Goran to in 48 hours.