2024 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: 2024 NBA Draft

Post by Drewsprocket »

I wonder if we could swap picks with Lakers and draft Bronny for someone we like at 17. You got to imagine Rich Paul’s goal is to get Bronny in the first round.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:39 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:09 am
I don’t think any of us really know whether Bronny is an nba player or not…time will tell
If he wasn’t a nepo baby he would not even be coming out for the draft.
That’s not true…plenty of people like him declare for the draft…he can still go back if it doesn’t seem like he’ll be drafted. You just aren’t aware of the other guys like him because they don’t have famous fathers.

JT Toppin is a freshman that’s ranked lower than Bronny in ESPN rankings.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don’t think any of us really know whether Bronny is an nba player or not…time will tell
That’s not true…plenty of people like him declare for the draft…he can still go back if it doesn’t seem like he’ll be drafted. You just aren’t aware of the other guys like him because they don’t have famous fathers.

Toppin: 12/9/1/62.3%/34.4%
James: 5/3/2/36.6%/26.7%

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:

Toppin: 12/9/1/62.3%/34.4%
James: 5/3/2/36.6%/26.7%
James stats are meaningless to me as I’ve said before…he was coming back from his heart stopping on the court

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hey, we have no evidence whether my uncle can play in the NBA, either. He's 76, obese, and he just had gall bladder surgery, so I'm going to dismiss his stats from last year. But there's really no evidence either way. We'll have to wait and see!!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:29 pm
Hey, we have no evidence whether my uncle can play in the NBA, either. He's 76, obese, and he just had gall bladder surgery, so I'm going to dismiss his stats from last year. But there's really no evidence either way. We'll have to wait and see!!
You’re right…you’re smarter than the people that do this for a living

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

The more I think about this scenario the more I think we should steer well clear of it. Haven't we been humiliated enough over the past 3 seasons? Drafting a poorly rated rookie in the hope of bringing in his soon to be 40 year old father feels like we're setting ourselves up for more of the same.

Yes we'll be the talk of the NBA for the first week of the season when LeBron and Bronny step onto the same court for the first time and make history but we'll quickly become the team that everyone wants to see fail. I just don't see how a roster with two starters over 35 is going to compete with teams like the Wolves, Thunder or Mavericks going forward.

Cap

Post by Cap »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:09 am
The more I think about this scenario the more I think we should steer well clear of it. Haven't we been humiliated enough over the past 3 seasons? Drafting a poorly rated rookie in the hope of bringing in his soon to be 40 year old father feels like we're setting ourselves up for more of the same.

Yes we'll be the talk of the NBA for the first week of the season when LeBron and Bronny step onto the same court for the first time and make history but we'll quickly become the team that everyone wants to see fail. I just don't see how a roster with two starters over 35 is going to compete with teams like the Wolves, Thunder or Mavericks going forward.
Ishbia doesn’t seem to care how competitive we are going forward, just how competitive we are right now.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And all the other teams will be trying to catch up to us.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The funniest part about getting Bronny + Lebron will be us pushing Beal to the bench so that we can start the not-worthy Bronny at PG.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Cap wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:04 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:09 am

Ishbia doesn’t seem to care how competitive we are going forward, just how competitive we are right now.
That's true, I'm just not convinced we'd be that competitive now either.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s a draft article for the suns…

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2024 ... ron-holmes

I really like Tristan Da Silva…I’m intrigued by Bobi Klintman as well.

Both are forwards that add some size. A little more defense from Klintman…Da Silva adds more playmaking and better shooting.

I’m quite intrigued by this Grant-Foster guy as well as an UDFA. Older player with some size on the ball.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Here's my board for the Suns in an alternate timeline where they didn't hate the draft:

1. Tyler Smith
2. Kel'El Ware
2. Enrique Freeman
3. Baylor Scheierman
4. Michael Ajayi
5. Dillon Jones
6. Quentin Post
7. Jonathan Mogbo

I have a hard time seeing Ware still available at 22. Freeman reminds me of Shawn Marion. Scheierman could potentially be the point forward that we need.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for sharing your board, INF. Interestingly, nbadraft.net has us picking Yves Missi despite Ware being on the board.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-draft ... -mock=2024

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Missi is a year younger, stronger, better frame, more athletic, and more explosive. He attacks the rim with ferocity that Ware hasn't shown. But Ware has been more productive and has shown stretch potential.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I do think having a floor spacing 5 would be really nice. Our offense was pretty great when we went KD at the 5…having 5 out and keeping a big on the floor would be good. I think Ware and Missi are my top guys right now at 22(if they last). I’d take Da Silva as well, but I think we need a 5.

I’ll have to look into Tyler Smith…I’ve heard the name but don’t know much about him. I assume 2-7 on your list would be trade down scenarios where we get a 2nd rounder? I haven’t seen them as 1st round picks. I think Schierman is the only one I’ve heard of. I need to look into Freeman if he reminds you of Shawn.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Freeman is a great story. Walked on as a freshman after growing 4 inches. 19/13 last year in college. Showed out at the combine. 6’8 212, 7’2 wingspan. Hard worker, great motor, smart kid, stand up guy it seems.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Kel'El Ware is not a James Jones prospect. He's show far too many instances of low effort and immaturity.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

But is he an Isiah Thomas prospect? He drafted Eddy Curry right?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think Missi and Ware both go before we pick. There are going to be a lot of GMs looking to counter Victor and Chet. In any case, assuming we do draft, I don't think Jones would draft an underclassman. If we do get a younger player, that's an indication that he doesn't have much influence left.

Edey is slower than a lot of prospects, but people said the same thing about SGA, Luka, Sabonis, etc. Every year there is a guy who plays too slow proving that he can force his own pace. I think the important point with Edey is that you have to actually feature him in the offence to get value from him. He's going to get murdered if other teams can pull him away from the basket on defense, so he has to be a big enough threat on offense to make up for that. The Suns would have to build a bench around him and just hammer the opposing team's backup center for 8 minute stretches. Is that the best move for us, and do we have the personnel to make it work?

Inf is right about Scheierman. If you haven't checked him out, you should. He might actually be on Jones' radar; he'll likely be available, is old for a rook, and plays the right way. Go watch some highlights. The dude plays with swagger and joy that we are sorely missing. He has a little bit of that Jason Williams swagger. Honestly, he's just fun to watch.

Freeman seems like he'll be a good 3 and D nba player.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan