Suns 2015 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns 2015 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:At least the Suns retained our new sun, moon, and stars. That's all that matters.
True dat.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Don't look now, but with tonight's win over the Mavs, OKC just officially passed the Suns to take the 8th playoff spot.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings
D'oh! I already looked!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The thing I don't get with you INF is you say you wanted IT to replace Bledsoe.
It sounds like even had that happened Dragic would of been upset. IT wasn't going to play off the ball so most likely at best he would of been splitting PG duties with him.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
McD: Knight a player they have followed for some time. Believes he could have been an allstar this year. Best player on the Bucks (really?). Just 23, his best ball ahead of him. Thorntorn has a role. Says that in order to compete for a championship some players need to accept reduced/different roles, but players sometimes get selfish, 'I/me/my' attitude. Wants sustainable roster for the future. A lot of value on those picks from Miami, although fans find it hard to see it sometimes with these intangible assets.
No we don't. That's why so many are questioning the wisdom of trading a potential lottery pick for a player with 30 games left on his contract.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:The thing I don't get with you INF is you say you wanted IT to replace Bledsoe.
Replace isn't the word I would use. It's not like I wanted to bring in Thomas in and start him and play him 35 minutes a night. I wanted to use him just as he was used, just sans Bledsoe.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Dan H wrote:"Then Gambo says he was bummed about the trade because he wants to be THE pg and the man."

Paul Coro has tweeted the opposite, I'd say he's more reliable than Gambo.
The word was that Gambo got his info from Dudley who is Knight's teammate. Again. Hope this is wrong info.

Talk me off the ledge. . .please.
[tweet]Paul Coro @paulcoro · 13h 13 hours ago
A friend who has known Brandon Knight for many years said he's quiet, smart & hard-working. Will he be OK with often being a 2? "No doubt."[/tweet]

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:The thing I don't get with you INF is you say you wanted IT to replace Bledsoe.
Replace isn't the word I would use. It's not like I wanted to bring in Thomas in and start him and play him 35 minutes a night. I wanted to use him just as he was used, just sans Bledsoe.
Gotcha. Although the way it all played out, sounds like that would not of worked. IT and Goran both wanted the ball in there hands when they were on the court.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Dan H wrote: [tweet]Paul Coro @paulcoro · 13h 13 hours ago
A friend who has known Brandon Knight for many years said he's quiet, smart & hard-working. Will he be OK with often being a 2? "No doubt."[/tweet]
Dan, you need to tweet the actual status update web address not the text that goes in the tweet box. So it would be this address: followed by the tweet tag.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Dan H wrote: [tweet]Paul Coro @paulcoro · 13h 13 hours ago
Dan, you need to tweet the actual status update web address not the text that goes in the tweet box. So it would be this address: followed by the tweet tag.
Also, if you're using a phone or tablet, you have to edit the "mobile." out of the address. Twitter redirects you to a page on the domain mobile.twitter.com, but that URL doesn't work between [tweet] tags.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Name, Position, Height, Age, Contractual Status
Eric Bledsoe PG/SG 6-1 25 [2019 RFA]
Reggie Bullock SF 6-7 23 [2016 + 2017 team option]
Archie Goodwin SG 6-5 20 [2016 + 2017 team option]
Danny Granger SF 6-9 31 [2015 + 2016 player option]
Gerald Green SG/SF 6-8 28 [2015 UFA]
Brandon Knight PG/SG 6-3 23 [2015 RFA]
Alex Len C 7-1 21 [2016 + 2017 team option]
Marcus Morris SF/PF 6-9 26 [2019 UFA]
Markieff Morris PF 6-10 26 [2019 UFA]
Marcus Thornton SG 6-4 27 [2015 UFA]
P.J. Tucker SF 6-5 29 [2017 UFA]
T.J. Warren SF 6-8 21 [2016 + 2017 & 2018 team options]
Brandan Wright PF/C 6-9 27 [2015 UFA]
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Gotcha. Although the way it all played out, sounds like that would not of worked.
And that's fine. In that event, by all means, move on from IT.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My thoughts on everything that happened.

I'm intrigued and in wait and see mode. I like knight and he's a better fit as a sg than dragic. Dragic is a better pg but with bled on the team he just wasn't ever gonna play pg full time here. I'm not too concerned about losing plumlee or Ennis. Ennis might turn into a player, I really haven't seen enough of him to know though. It would have been nice to have him now that IT is gone.

Not concerned with losing IT, we didn't get a ton of value but we got some. We've often said we used Frye's money to sign IT, so we turned frye/IT into the 23rd pick(give or take a few spots) in the 2016 draft. I'm ok with that.

Two firsts from Miami are a decent haul for dragic considering the circumstances. I doubt the 2017 one is great, probably around 20. Miami should be pretty good over the next couple years. 2021 pick could literally be anywhere 1 to 30. So far away, we have no idea what kind of team Miami will be. Their current core is not likely to be any good in 2021, but Miami is a prime destination and that team could be, should be, and probably will be drastically different. Unless they pull a Spurs with dragic, wade, bosh channeling parker, Manu, Duncan in their mid to late 30's.

Like everyone else, biggest issue is with the laker pick. Its still a little up in the air as we don't know exactly where the pick lands but it should probably be very good and most definitely will be a lottery pick. I wouldn't have traded it, but I'm intrigued enough with Knight to wait before declaring it a failure.

I think we can see the plan management has, they'll throw some big offers out this summer via free agency or trades to add another star to this team. Bottom line is if I wake up 5 months from now and our roster is Bledsoe-Knight-Butler-Morris-Len. I'll be happy. Butler/harris/Leonard/green will be tough to get in restricted free agency but we'll have a shot. And those extra picks might prove valuable in working a sign and trade.

Our roster has a little more balance and I'm excited to see if the young guys get to play. We better not give minutes to granger over Warren. Thornton is better than Goodwin/bullock right now, but I'd like to see the young guys get those minutes instead. Okc is rolling and we are not making the playoffs this year

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Babby -

"Every move we make is with the goal of getting the Phoenix Suns to a championship level," McDonough said. "Sometimes, players view that as a good thing. I think they usually do. The good ones do. But, sometimes, players get a little selfish and are more worried about I, me and my than us, our and we."

McDonough also said that the Suns never received a list of preferred destinations from Dragic and didn't care if there was one because of how Dragic and his agents handled the situation.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

He was probabaly talking about Dragic, but did anyone think he was maybe talking about IT too?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Split T wrote:My thoughts on everything that happened.

I'm intrigued and in wait and see mode. I like knight and he's a better fit as a sg than dragic. Dragic is a better pg but with bled on the team he just wasn't ever gonna play pg full time here. I'm not too concerned about losing plumlee or Ennis. Ennis might turn into a player, I really haven't seen enough of him to know though. It would have been nice to have him now that IT is gone.

Not concerned with losing IT, we didn't get a ton of value but we got some. We've often said we used Frye's money to sign IT, so we turned frye/IT into the 23rd pick(give or take a few spots) in the 2016 draft. I'm ok with that.

Two firsts from Miami are a decent haul for dragic considering the circumstances. I doubt the 2017 one is great, probably around 20. Miami should be pretty good over the next couple years. 2021 pick could literally be anywhere 1 to 30. So far away, we have no idea what kind of team Miami will be. Their current core is not likely to be any good in 2021, but Miami is a prime destination and that team could be, should be, and probably will be drastically different. Unless they pull a Spurs with dragic, wade, bosh channeling parker, Manu, Duncan in their mid to late 30's.

Like everyone else, biggest issue is with the laker pick. Its still a little up in the air as we don't know exactly where the pick lands but it should probably be very good and most definitely will be a lottery pick. I wouldn't have traded it, but I'm intrigued enough with Knight to wait before declaring it a failure.

I think we can see the plan management has, they'll throw some big offers out this summer via free agency or trades to add another star to this team. Bottom line is if I wake up 5 months from now and our roster is Bledsoe-Knight-Butler-Morris-Len. I'll be happy. Butler/harris/Leonard/green will be tough to get in restricted free agency but we'll have a shot. And those extra picks might prove valuable in working a sign and trade.

Our roster has a little more balance and I'm excited to see if the young guys get to play. We better not give minutes to granger over Warren. Thornton is better than Goodwin/bullock right now, but I'd like to see the young guys get those minutes instead. Okc is rolling and we are not making the playoffs this year
Solid, well thought out take. Although your more optimistic about signing a Jimmy Butler this summer then I am. I don't think the suns will have the money available to get that done anyway. how much will they have again? its not max money i think. Just assume Knight gets 12mil per (big assumption, I know)

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Solid, well thought out take. Although your more optimistic about signing a Jimmy Butler this summer then I am. I don't think the suns will have the money available to get that done anyway. how much will they have again? its not max money i think. Just assume Knight gets 12mil per (big assumption, I know)
About $22M assuming no cap increase. But Knight's cap hold is $9M so we have only about $13M in reality. You could move Tucker though and get up in the $18M range. You could get a very good player with that. I don't think Tobias Harris moves the needle much and probably locks us into that team for a while but it's a core of some skill and all around the same age: Bledsoe-Knight-Harris-Kieff-Len. I wouldn't pay over $12/yr for either Knight or Harris though. But I do tend to think people are worth less than what they actually wind up getting fairly routinely.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:Also, if you're using a phone or tablet, you have to edit the "mobile." out of the address. Twitter redirects you to a page on the domain mobile.twitter.com, but that URL doesn't work between [tweet] tags.
I can probably hack the twitter plugin and fix that issue later.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Split T wrote:My thoughts on everything that happened.

Solid, well thought out take. Although your more optimistic about signing a Jimmy Butler this summer then I am. I don't think the suns will have the money available to get that done anyway. how much will they have again? its not max money i think. Just assume Knight gets 12mil per (big assumption, I know)
Ya I'm not sure about the money, but we should be able to maneuver to max space fairly easy. As for our chances to sign a marquee guy, I'm probably not as optimistic as I come across. I don't know the Bulls situation but I dont see them really hesitating to match a max offer for butler. There's even less of a chance Kawhi leaves San Antonio. Harris and green might be obtainable as I'm not sure golden state wants to pay a ton of money for him with their high salaries already. Although they are getting curry for a steal right now and david Lee should be expiring eventually.

Just thinking of butler or kawhi on our team makes me feel better about the trade even if the chances of acquiring them are slim(butler) to none(kawhi).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

test 1 (without mobile.):

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/568870721692299264

test 2 (WITH mobile.)

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/568870721692299264

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Like I've said, I didn't mind Babby/Ryan being upset, but one thing that did rub me the wrong way was Ryan, in response to the question about the concern over the Suns' youth, said, "Well the Suns are one of the five youngest teams in the league and when you look at the others, they aren't very good, they're struggling, etc." My response to that is: ok, enjoy hovering around seeds 8-10 for the next few seasons and watch these "struggling young teams" pass you by. If I'm a Minnesota Timberwolf fan, no way am I trading places with this franchise. You can have your 9th or 10th seed Morris Twins and Mr. #wewriteouronchapter, Ryan, I'll take the other Shabazz, Zach LaVine, and Andrew Wiggins.

It's funny that Ryan would make that comment, while at the same time condescendingly saying fans and media don't get the big picture and aren't able to see the value of things down the road.