Game Day: Suns (29-25) @ Twolves (11-42), Fri 2/20/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Game Day: Suns (29-25) @ Twolves (11-42), Fri 2/20/15

Post by iLLmatic »

^ I don't think that's gonna happen, but I'm feeling better and better about Knight. I'm sad that Goran is gone and that we gave away that LA pick but Knight is gonna be a star.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Giving away the LA 1st was an awful move, ugh. If it ends up top 5 and Philly gets it, we'll never hear the end of it.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Can't wait to use all this cap room on an all star free agent. Oops thats right no free agent wants to sign in Phoenix since Steve Nash. I guess management forgot that.

Also glad we kept the 3rd best PG out of tbe bunch in Bledsoe. Yeesh.

Len looked good though.

Couldnt tell, are the Minnesota announcers happy about getting KG back? At times I forgot there was a game.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

djy2j wrote:Couldnt tell, are the Minnesota announcers happy about getting KG back? At times I forgot there was a game.
Listening to them go on and on about KG was ridiculous. They even had a short segment about ticket sales going up because of the trade. Makes me wonder if they've watched him play the last two years.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Oh, did KG get traded back to Minnesota? I hadn't heard. >_>

EDC

Post by EDC »

Mori Chu wrote:* Markieff Morris somewhat quietly had a 31-point night and looked great overall
INFORMER wrote: Markieff was a monster tonight.
I can't help thinking back about how much crap Amare use to get for not getting 10 rebounds a game. He could score 30 points on 70% shooting and still people would trash him because he only pulled in 7 or 8 boards.

Kieff needs to rebound the ball. Four rebounds from our starting power forward is bad. :(

OE32

Post by OE32 »

One big difference between Amare and Markieff is HOW they score. Amare was fed the ball on the move from Nash. Kieff posts up, creating his own offfense. Amazing he's as efficient as he is. Bled is an upgrade over Nash defensively, but that man didn't just create his own offense, he created a whole team's offense.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I can't help thinking back about how much crap Amare use to get for not getting 10 rebounds a game. He could score 30 points on 70% shooting and still people would trash him because he only pulled in 7 or 8 boards.

Kieff needs to rebound the ball. Four rebounds from our starting power forward is bad.
A few things. Amar'e was heralded (and rightfully so), believed in and and built up by the team, the fans and the league. He had immense physical gifts and was star, but also regarded by most as a dominant big in the same league as Duncan, Shaq, etc. So the expectations were a lot higher.

Kieff isn't nearly as highly regarded, so getting a big game from him like that is is considered gravy. He's not expected to be a 25 and 10 guy leading us everynight. It's all relative in that sense.

But that's also why I'm not drinking the kool-aid on him. He's not a dominant big that strikes fear in the heart of a defense. Teams may plan for him, but not in the sense of Aldridge, Duncan, Gasol, etc. Nice player, but we need a serious upgrade if we want to be taken seriously.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

ShelC wrote:

Kieff needs to rebound the ball. Four rebounds from our starting power forward is bad.
A few things. Amar'e was heralded (and rightfully so), believed in and and built up by the team, the fans and the league. He had immense physical gifts and was star, but also regarded by most as a dominant big in the same league as Duncan, Shaq, etc. So the expectations were a lot higher.

Kieff isn't nearly as highly regarded, so getting a big game from him like that is is considered gravy. He's not expected to be a 25 and 10 guy leading us everynight. It's all relative in that sense.

But that's also why I'm not drinking the kool-aid on him. He's not a dominant big that strikes fear in the heart of a defense. Teams may plan for him, but not in the sense of Aldridge, Duncan, Gasol, etc. Nice player, but we need a serious upgrade if we want to be taken seriously.
I agree with the first two parts --- but his post game is just... really, really good. If Kieff gets the ball in the high post, he's just incredibly difficult to stop, apparently.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bled is an upgrade over Nash defensively, but that man didn't just create his own offense, he created a whole team's offense.
I've said this over the years and i'll say it again...look at the teams that have won championships over the last 15 years or so. I don't think one had a PG that dominated the offense or was a league leader in assists What they had was a PG that averaged 5-6-7 apg, a swing that average 3-4 and a big that average 3-4. That's a much harder offense to stop when multiple players can make plays and set up others and was a big issue with our Nash led teams. If teams stopped Nash (and granted they rarely did) and made others make plays, we struggled. Same as when Nash left the game. So I'm fine with Bledsoe averaging 6apg, Knight averaging 4-5apg and a big averaging 3-4. I'm more concerned with executing offense, game/clock management than that one stat.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

What stopped Nash was the zebras swallowing their whistles in the presence of Bruce Bowen. Those handcheck rules went right out the window in the 2005 WCF.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

This group of players has talent, but they haven't learned what it takes to win. Too many times key mistakes down the stretch/in the last two minutes of play.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

What stopped Nash was the zebras swallowing their whistles in the presence of Bruce Bowen. Those handcheck rules went right out the window in the 2005 WCF.
Which proves my point. Doesn't matter how it happened or why...Nash was taken out of the game. We had G/Fs like Barbosa, House, Bell, Q, Shawn during that stretch who couldn't handle or distribute. If we had a Joe Johnson to take over ballhanding duties...different story. And that's not to bring up the JJ stuff. Just that if we had that type of G/F...a JJ, a Paul Pierce, a Rip Hamilton...

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:
Bled is an upgrade over Nash defensively, but that man didn't just create his own offense, he created a whole team's offense.
I've said this over the years and i'll say it again...look at the teams that have won championships over the last 15 years or so. I don't think one had a PG that dominated the offense or was a league leader in assists What they had was a PG that averaged 5-6-7 apg, a swing that average 3-4 and a big that average 3-4. That's a much harder offense to stop when multiple players can make plays and set up others and was a big issue with our Nash led teams. If teams stopped Nash (and granted they rarely did) and made others make plays, we struggled. Same as when Nash left the game. So I'm fine with Bledsoe averaging 6apg, Knight averaging 4-5apg and a big averaging 3-4. I'm more concerned with executing offense, game/clock management than that one stat.
This team needs to learn how to share the ball. We need better D from the pf and wing positions, especially with Green. We need an absolutely dominant rebounder at the 5, and a decent rebounder at the 4. We are still scoring with too much one on one stuff. We have some guys that are good at it. Its been a long time since we have had a pf who could create his own shot like Kieff. That's great, but there is just something missing. Its a cohesion. An ability to shut down a team in stretches. A swagger. Good reliable outside shooting.

I am curious to see what Knight brings. He is Bledsoe, but he has a better outside shot. That part of the equation could be very important. Archie is also an important factor. When he was in the game last night, they gained ground. He has an incredible ability to get to the ft line AND he plays D. He is getting closer to major pt. He is the heir to Green's minutes, maybe sooner rather than later. Just like Len overtook Plumlee, Archie as at the point of doing that with Gerald.

If Knight is more of a distributor than Gerald, and is a good three point shooter as well as having the ability to drive (and play d) he could make a huge difference in the flow. Also, I think we might be to the point where playing Archie as the third guard makes the team better than playing Gerald in that role.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Can archie play the 3 tho? Do we give up too much size there? Any chance he's gained an inch or two since we drafted him?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I saw a darth of shooting last night. Its funny...the phoenix suns with not enough 3pt shooting. Knight will help that ofcourse, but I think the lack of spacing hurt the team last night.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

OE32

Post by OE32 »

JCSunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:
This team needs to learn how to share the ball. We need better D from the pf and wing positions, especially with Green. We need an absolutely dominant rebounder at the 5, and a decent rebounder at the 4. We are still scoring with too much one on one stuff. We have some guys that are good at it. Its been a long time since we have had a pf who could create his own shot like Kieff. That's great, but there is just something missing. Its a cohesion. An ability to shut down a team in stretches. A swagger. Good reliable outside shooting.

I am curious to see what Knight brings. He is Bledsoe, but he has a better outside shot. That part of the equation could be very important. Archie is also an important factor. When he was in the game last night, they gained ground. He has an incredible ability to get to the ft line AND he plays D. He is getting closer to major pt. He is the heir to Green's minutes, maybe sooner rather than later. Just like Len overtook Plumlee, Archie as at the point of doing that with Gerald.

If Knight is more of a distributor than Gerald, and is a good three point shooter as well as having the ability to drive (and play d) he could make a huge difference in the flow. Also, I think we might be to the point where playing Archie as the third guard makes the team better than playing Gerald in that role.
It was certainly nice to see Archie contributing - especially with his passing. Very good to see. He still needs time to develop the J, but that's okay. His on ball defense was pretty good, too. Had a problem getting through screens, just like Gerald. I wonder how Knight and Thornton will affect our rotation: I'm sure the coaches want to continue to give Gerald a chance, and Thornton is a better player than Archie right now, but I'd like to see Archie play.

I liked that PJ played fewer than 30 minutes last night... maybe this means we'll see at least some TJ going forward. TJ could do himself a lot of favors by coming in with a killer instinct. While he's struggled, Wiggins also struggled the first 30 or 40 games of the season - awful numbers.

Go Youngs!-er---Suns!

carey

Post by carey »

djy2j wrote:Can't wait to use all this cap room on an all star free agent. Oops thats right no free agent wants to sign in Phoenix since Steve Nash. I guess management forgot that.
I don't think they forgot that at all. That's why teams like us have to gamble and overpay for RFAs and teams like Miami throw away multiple draft picks for a guy that's going to be a UFA, but hey.... it's Miami.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote: I am curious to see what Knight brings. He is Bledsoe, but he has a better outside shot. That part of the equation could be very important. Archie is also an important factor. When he was in the game last night, they gained ground. He has an incredible ability to get to the ft line AND he plays D. He is getting closer to major pt. He is the heir to Green's minutes, maybe sooner rather than later. Just like Len overtook Plumlee, Archie as at the point of doing that with Gerald.
The way I look at it is that Goodwin will have to get at least some time. He's the 3rd PG. If we don't bring Ish back (right now with Granger still on the roster & with Earl on a 10-day we simply can't) then Goodwin will have to get in there for some minutes unless you think Bledsoe and Knight can carry the PG duties all 48. I guess we will see, but as far as skillsets... until Goodwin can go on a tear from 3-point range I'm not sure he's going to steal too many minutes for Gerald.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

I'm kinda worried we are going to resign Green to a contract like PJ's in the off season. Green is a great guy but man does he hurt the team more than he helps it. I wonder if the rumor that the Clips were willing to give up a draft pick for him at the trade deadline were true.