Goran Dragic Trade Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Goran Dragic Trade Watch

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:incase your scoring at home.....So we're back to even on Mori's take on INF.
+1
+√(-1)
Now you're just showing off, cap.
Imagine that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Goran Dragic Trade Watch

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:
+√(-1)
Now you're just showing off, cap.
Imagine that.
Now that's a good boner.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

It figures I lose internet in my house for the last 72 hours of the trade deadline and couldn't follow along with everything. When I initially saw they traded the LA pick I flipped out. I'm trying to talk myself into it by rationalizing that the pick won't be conveyed until next year and that the Lakers will be much better, but it still bothers the hell out of me. McD seemed to get too cute for his own good. If anything, he should have just traded for MCW directly but what's done is done.

Dragic had to go, I'm not happy he's gone but to max him out would be foolish, and his comments to the media were the last straw. He should have kept them to himself. Hopefully the 2021 Miami pick turns out like the Detroit pick in the LeBron draft, only that this time, the Suns don't take the next Darko.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /23779803/
Dragic's departure

The Suns believe something happened or someone got to Dragic over the break. There was a feeling Dragic would be content if the Suns traded Isaiah Thomas. When Dragic returned, he said he wanted out regardless on Tuesday.

"Up until three days before everybody left for All-Star break, he was fine if certain things happened," Hornacek said, not mentioning a Thomas trade. "It was shocking to all of us with him saying it doesn't matter. He's not signing back."
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /23779803/
Dragic's departure

The Suns believe something happened or someone got to Dragic over the break. There was a feeling Dragic would be content if the Suns traded Isaiah Thomas. When Dragic returned, he said he wanted out regardless on Tuesday.

"Up until three days before everybody left for All-Star break, he was fine if certain things happened," Hornacek said, not mentioning a Thomas trade. "It was shocking to all of us with him saying it doesn't matter. He's not signing back."
Right. The "it really wasn't our fault" gambit of PR.

Be adults.
Acknowledge that both sides contributed to it, and move on.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dragic made some vague accusations about the Suns making promises they didn't keep. The Suns FO complained that it was inappropriate, then fired back in kind with vague accusations about Dragic's flip-flops. Would that everybody would just keep the whining indoors.

Except us, of course. Whining is part of what we're here for.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /23779803/
Dragic's departure

wanting out (not signing back) is different from demanding for a trade.

SDC

Post by SDC »

OE32 wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Yes, INF doesn't like the direction of the team. But he always gives reasons for his takes. Sometimes he posts shorter messages or eyerolls, but he shouldn't feel obligated to restate the same reasons and justifications over and over. If you keep up with the board and posts, you know that behind that eyeroll or short post there was a longer one in which he explained why he feels the way he does. I don't see anything wrong with the way he posts here or the tone he uses in his messages. Some folks seem to think he's condescending, but I think it's more of one of those situations where tone and intent is hard to get across perfectly on the internet. I don't think he has any ill will toward anybody here or looks down on them. But we sometimes read that into people's words when they are being negative or disagreeing with us.
+1
i'd like to see inf take over the job from mcdo.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

BTW. Dragic's comments to the media about resigning in Miami--"I would love to stay, but its a business."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope they have lots of fun with that.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Zoran's lack of playing time is the factor that nobody is mentioning but it could be the straw that broke the camel's back if the FO, be it Sarver, Babby or McD, made it seem to them that there was time for him on the floor. Promises, promises.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If Goran is naïve enough to believe Zoran didn't have to earn playing time in an overly-crowded backcourt, that's on him.

If his complaint was that team was misusing him by making him play so much off the ball, I would agree with him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The Bobster wrote:If Goran is naïve enough to believe Zoran didn't have to earn playing time in an overly-crowded backcourt, that's on him.

If his complaint was that team was misusing him by making him play so much off the ball, I would agree with him.
Maybe in a vacuum Goran does understand about "earning minutes" but he also saw how hard the team had acomodated Marcus in order to please Markieff and obviously thinks his brother is as capable as Mook to come from the bench and shoot whenever he gets the ball.

One teammate ask for his brother to be brought by the team, give him a new contract and play alongside him. The front office complies, so if I has been told that I'm the face of the franchise, and my brother happens to be one of the top players in our country, why can I not receive the same deal?

Remember that this summer Goran and his brother became rockstars in their country for that little run in international competition fueled almost by them alone. Then you come back to the US and get's the "good soldier" treatment. Later on, your little brother arrives and starts complaining about minutes and how the Dragii are below the Morrii and how they dare to ask Zoran Slovenian Star to go to D-League and maybe how the team has negated you the ball,. Well, Goran would not be the first big brother very capable to handle his own issues as an adult, but gets mad if a little feather is used to touch his little brother, without any sort of perspective. If thats the case, sooner or later Goran was going to do exactly this, an overreaction to show his little brother how powerful he is.

Now, if I add the words, "a source close to the situation acknowledged that..." It would sound even better, doesn't it?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I would say though, that Marcus has earned minutes. He hasnt earned a starting job, but he has earned minutes. They gave him the starting job when PJ was suspended and then made PJ earn his spot back as penance, but for the most part Marcus has played OK.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I get what Aztec is saying, and that may have been part of Goran's attitude lately. But there is a huge gulf in talent between Marcus Morris and Zoran Dragic.

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:If Goran is naïve enough to believe Zoran didn't have to earn playing time in an overly-crowded backcourt, that's on him.

the suns shouldnt have signed zoran if their only intention was to use the brother to keep goran from wanting to leave. i'm a zoran fan and even i was questioning the signing then (he was signed a day after eric bledsoe). indiana also wanted to sign zoran. makes me think mcdo acquired zoran for NON-basketball reasons. :lol:

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Or they gave him an opportunity to win some playing time and he didn't.

There are several possibilities.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:Or they gave him an opportunity to win some playing time and he didn't.

There are several possibilities.
a lot of suns players fit that category: archie, ennis, zoran, warren

and is pj tucker really better than tj warren?

green getting pt and goodwin doesnt?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Sometimes coaches are looking for players who play certain roles, so that might be why they play, or believe it or not, Hornacek might think that Tucker and Green are better players and give his team a better chance of winning.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Agreed about Marcus being head and shoulders above Zoran, but even if Goran get to agree with us, inside his head/heart he probably felt that Zoran could get minutes over Green and maybe Tucker, specially everytime he saw this two bringing up the ball. This and watching the Morrii living their dream about sharing the court, must have been painful to see until some fuse blows up in his head specially if Zoran was whining about it. Hearing Goran previous to Zoran arriving and how this unfolded, I just get the feeling that the broken promises are closer to being related to Zoran, that about himself, and therefore the overprotecting brother syndrome acting at full display.

Hopefully, the Front office learns about the risk of bring on board teams within the Team. This FOE thing is clearly a risk to produce this same scenario any given day.