Suns 2015 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns 2015 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote: I find it strange that many of the same people who advocated keeping (and paying) Goran now want to blow it up. What, we were contenders with him, but we're crap without him. Give me a break - or better yet, coherence.
It's perfectly coherent. One could have wanted a project where Dragic would have been a huge part, say second or third best player. With him gone, it's not hard to see how the attachment to the roster takes a serious hit. Look at the 'favorite current sun' thread.

I certainly don't hate anyone on the team, but I wouldn't complain if Bledsoe, the twins, Tucker, Green and maybe even Knight were not here by the end of next summer, assuming adequate overall compensation in future/draft assets.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

OE32 wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
OE32 wrote:I think many posters here are overvaluing that LA draft pick, certainly in relation to Brandon Knight, about whom I'm optimistic. He'll certainly have more value than Goran at near-$20 mil per. And for those who are so in love with the LA pick, why not similar love for the Heat picks? In my view, we essentially traded Dragic and Plumlee for Knight. We rolled last year's Wizards' pick forward into a future Heat pick and the LA pick into a future Heat pick.
I agree that the Heat picks are nice assets. That second one especially, the one that conveys in like 2021 or whatever, that could end up being a really great pick.

But the point is: WE COULD HAVE HAD BOTH. The LA pick was given away in a separate transaction from the Dragic deal. We could have sent out Dragic, pocketed those two nice Miami picks, and also kept the LA 1st rounder. The transactions were not connected in any way.

Yes, that would have left us with a gaping hole in our guard rotation, but if we're doing all this, we are sort of tanking the rest of the season anyway, aren't we? Might as well run Goodwin or Green at SG and rack up some losses, while keeping a ton of great picks.

It's going to be a long time before we get those Miami 1st rounders. We could have had that amazing Laker pick in about a year and 3 months, and it could be an absolutely killer pick, maybe 4-5 in the draft. We are going to really regret trading that pick.
Valid position. You'd be ditching the MoBros and Bledsoe by not putting any talent around them. You'd have Len growing up as the elder statesman on the roster. A total rebuild, where in terms of acquired and developed talent we'd be somewhere between Philadelphia and Orlando. We went another direction, which I think is perfectly reasonable as well.

I find it strange that many of the same people who advocated keeping (and paying) Goran now want to blow it up. What, we were contenders with him, but we're crap without him. Give me a break - or better yet, coherence.
I don't think it would be "ditching" the Morrii and Bledsoe to have not traded for Knight. The roster would be exactly the same except that we would start Green and use Ennis/Goodwin as our backup PG. We also would have had Plumlee. That isn't a contender but it isn't a huge difference from where we are now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Exactly Mori. I don't get the "ditching" take either.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The more I think about it, even if the Laker's pick doesn't turn into much of anything, that I would rather have Plumlee, Ennis, and the pick, than Knight. Sorry Knight, I hope you and time can change my mind, but right now... it is what it is.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:The more I think about it, even if the Laker's pick doesn't turn into much of anything, that I would rather have Plumlee, Ennis, and the pick, than Knight. Sorry Knight, I hope you and time can change my mind, but right now... it is what it is.
I don't think time will change it at all. Like everyone said, if we liked him so much, we could have just signed him in a few months.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:The more I think about it, even if the Laker's pick doesn't turn into much of anything, that I would rather have Plumlee, Ennis, and the pick, than Knight. Sorry Knight, I hope you and time can change my mind, but right now... it is what it is.
I don't think time will change it at all. Like everyone said, if we liked him so much, we could have just signed him in a few months.
I don't know why everybody thinks it is so easy to resign a RFA from another team.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Because they clearly didn't value him at the level they expect him to be paid.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/570356756322234370

Indy

Post by Indy »

How long do those last? And what are the rules around using them again?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:How long do those last? And what are the rules around using them again?
1 year. We can take in a player who fits into the exception without sending matching salary back. Can't be combined with other players/exceptions to fit in a larger salary.

Indy

Post by Indy »

So basically just guys on rookie contracts, right? Isn't the MLE higher than that now?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:So basically just guys on rookie contracts, right? Isn't the MLE higher than that now?
MLE is about $5.3M right now. It also helps you be a facilitator in trades.

Indy

Post by Indy »

True. When is the last time we just didn't let one expire?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I believe the exception has to be renounced if the Suns want to have money under the cap to pursue free agents.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

OE32 wrote: The most upsetting things about the trades is the subsequent and profound negativity I've seen surrounding the front office. Was not expecting it. I think we felt genuinely damages by Duffy and Goran and told them, if you screw us, we'll screw you. And that's what we've seen.

I liked IT, but we ended up getting a super-low first rounder in next year's draft for him. Not exactly a great return.
this is what i dont get. dragic was perfectly willing to walk away from the suns at the end of this year if the suns dont make the playoffs and the status quo remained. what made him suddenly rush to have himself traded?

and mcdo shouldnt be too upset. if dragic walked away, he gets nothing. by doing the trade, he got two 1st round picks. dragic actually doing him a favor. nobody told mcdo to trade IT and the laker pick.

i sense this is all just kabuki on dragic and suns camp.

Robot

Post by Robot »

Interesting article
Ryan McDonough talks about the future of the Suns
by David O'Brien basketballdigesttimes.com

The Suns were the most active team at the trade deadline this year. A year ago, the team was young, fresh and surprising. The talk of the NBA with both coach of the year and GM of the year honors being readily discussed. After an interesting and somewhat strange offseason strategy of adding two more point guards , Isaiah Thomas from the Kings then the drafting of Tyler Ennis [ a rough around the edges prospect ] , many were confused what the plan was. Insurance for the possible departure of Eric Bledsoe?

The Suns radically altered their team a few days ago . Shipping out Goran Dragic and their coveted Lakers first round pick amongst other things. Here is McDonough's take

"It's what I wanted to do " said McDonough "sometimes you have to look at these sniveling babies who can't share, can't be team players and send them to their rooms. In this case, we did the right thing. Nobody wants a little cry baby who doesn't understand there is no "I" in team on the Suns"

McDonough and Lon Babby have been huddling together for the last month trying to figure out which moves to make -- and who to punish . "To us, an agent like Duffy needs to learn how to respect those who are feeding his players and him by proxy. Our analysis showed that his heart rate accelerated beyond a point that was commiserate with honesty when we spoke via phone. That was un acceptable and we chose to strike. Humanity will be next… when I say that I do not hesitate to act when one of my stock acts up -- you best believe I do not jest" smiled McDonough from his cryo-chamber.

Lon Babby wearing a construction paper , make-shift Phoenix Suns "Knight" jersey weighed in on the trade "they are just fabulosity. They are good - we got a player like Knight here who is a knight - like from King Arthur days. He is just going to enhance our club culture - one that is already hearty and warm. He will learn that our culture is rich, our ring of honor is something that he will no doubt wish to be inside soon, or so I hope" Babby smiled, laying back in his reclining chair to reveal that his feet are covered with toilet paper tissue wrapped with duck tape "I forgot my shoes" he added

On the Lakers pick - one that could be as high as four next year was a point of contention for some Suns fans. A prize dating back to the Nash trade that everyone was looking forward to. McDonough summed up his feelings "those who wish to second guess my thinking as regard to the Lakers pick need to realize that this job is not for amateurs who live in the basements of their Mothers Gilbert home. I find it miraculous that some of these 'fans' can second guess me . Are you professional general managers? Make your pizza's at Dominos and focus on how much cheese to add, don't question me or prepare to live under my metal heel. That is the folly in our sport, in our world…. the problem with humans... that they question utilitarian power. Soon they, like Goran Dragic will learn…

McDonough is in his second year as Suns GM
http://www.basketballdigesttimes.com/mcdo_suns.html

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ha ha! The Lon Babby paragraph was my favorite.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

That had me crying (much like this year's team has), robot. I've a feeling we'll be needing more of those articles sooner rather than later.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO Robot. "I forgot my shoes", Babby added. Slayed me.