Phoenix Suns 2013-2014: Year In Review

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Phoenix Suns 2013-2014: Year In Review

Post by Superbone »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:... Such moddly powers! :mrgreen:
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week of 4/14-4/20

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote: I'm not quite sure how you say someone is executive of the yr and then say he isn't an asset...but it is what it is.
He can be an asset, I just didn't list him as one of the main things I feel good about the Suns.

And being EOTY has nothing to do with his draft. And as I said, the drafting ability of a GM is very important.
So, where do you stand on McDonough as of now? Incomplete? Certainly you can't think he's a liability? It'll be interesting to see where you stand after another draft and half season of play.

For me, he is definitely a big asset and major reason for our success this year. I'd give him a solid A after a year under his belt. I could see where he might get an incomplete for this year's draft but everything else has been highly competent. The only other question mark might be lack of action at the trading deadline but that is highly debatable and standing pat may very well have been the best course of action.

"Be Legendary."

Doctor_G

Post by Doctor_G »

Hell of a year for Suns' basketball. Was I rooting for a playoff birth? Yup! Was I disappointed when it became official we weren't getting in? Of course I was, but mostly because I wanted to see more of this years team play...before some inevitable roster changes transpire this off-season. Even so, my disappointment was short lived once I realized our pick would be 14 instead of 21. Been a Sun's fan since 1977, and this is by far the best I ever felt about a Sun's team that didn't make the playoffs.

I still remember the 84 WCF's at the "Madhouse on McDowell" against the Lakers where we were a James Edwards missed chip-shot under the basket away - from taking game 6 into overtime. I waited in line overnight to get tickets for that game and the crowd was deafening most the evening. We had one hell of a team that year and nearly got to the finals. Davis, Westphal, Nance, Adams, Macy, Edwards and Lucas were the main players. Nance was a better version of Sean Marion, Macy had a Horncek-esque shot, Davis was, well, still packing one of the prettiest jump shots the game has ever seen. Hard to believe that was 30 friggin years ago!

When Edwards failed to get the ball in the net from point blank range multiple times, the buzzer finally sounded and I felt as though my heart was ripped out. Can't say I became a staunch Laker hater after that (that came after the Laker / Celtic rivalry of the 80's). They (the now HATED Lakers) gave us some beautiful basketball to watch during that era. I think I hated Edwards more than the Lakers to be honest back then. Anyway, when this years Suns fell to the Grizz, I was highly disappointed at first, but my heart didn't feel like it was ripped out. We Suns fans were treated to a beautiful brand of basketball this year. The kind I first saw with the Lakers "Showtime" of the 80's, then the Nash / Amare era, and of course this years team. Hornacek and Co. made basketball in Phoenix fun to watch again. I'm proud of our guys and the organization.

From Ownership to Mgt, to the coaching staff, and most importantly to the players (who actually had to PERFORM)...we are in great shape moving forward. Only Coach knows where Len and Goodwin truly are in their development. With that said, hard to get a reading on how they effect moves this offseason. Lot's of variables us fans are just not privy to (for obvious reasons), when it comes to assessing the draft and possible moves. I have a good feeling Mc-D and Co are going to make moves we may not see coming. But based on his initial track record, I feel pretty confident with him at the helm. My only prediction, actually I'll just call it what it is - a guess, I think we package picks and or players for some sort of blockbuster move for a star player. In all honesty, not sure what's gonna happen. But I lean to it being something very positive moving forward.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

A little something I put together last week (had a bad feeling about the 3 game trip) - 28 minute tribute to this 2013-2014 team :

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote: So, where do you stand on McDonough as of now? Incomplete? Certainly you can't think he's a liability? It'll be interesting to see where you stand after another draft and half season of play.
McDonough had a really good offseason. He's made some very good deals. But I need to see him draft well. That's where I stand.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I liked Dieng last yr, thought maybe Phoeni could take a look with that Memphis or Minny pick that they never got. He's been a nice surprise for them.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

How do we know he didn't draft well last year?

The Verdict is hardly in on Len or especially a very young and raw Archie Goodwin.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I never said being EOTY had anything to do with the draft. But being Executive of the yr means you are the best at your profession for that yr. I for one feel pretty good about that.

You said you would take comfort in and then you proceeded to list 5 things about the suns in which Ryan Mcdonough was the main reason for 4 of them, yet you don't take comfort in him as our gm.

You take comfort in cap space...Mcdonough....Comfort in Picks....McD....Comfort in Beas going away...McD paid him to go away....Comfort in Hornecek..Obviously you are comfortable in MCD's decision making on picking a coach. Role Players got better...well that's because McD hired a coach and acquired pieces that could excel in his style.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:How do we know he didn't draft well last year?
We don't. That's the point. That's why I said he gets an incomplete.

It doesn't help (me) that I didn't agree with either pick, and I haven't seen much to change my mind. Archie having a nice night tonight, and he had the 16 point performance a few months ago, so there's that.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I never said being EOTY had anything to do with the draft.
I know you didn't. I was explaining why I could consider McDonough the EOTY but still not endorse him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Ring-

I can understand wanting to make a move at the deadline. But I didn't want to give up a 1st for a rental on Gasol. I have no idea why the Lakers didn't trade him other than the fact that they were demanding a 1st. I'd rather not make a move then overpay...But I can understand the reasoning behind what you say with the team barely missing out.
Yeah, rentals are moves that have a bad reputation, but if it can make the difference between making the playoffs or barely missing I think you need to pull the trigger. It was obvious that the team was all in for the playoffs, but also that it could very well end up #9 in the West, with the brutal schedule remaining after the break, particularly April. I'm sure McD saw it as well, but he prefered to stay put and 'let the chips fall where they may'. I'm sorry but at the moment I felt that it was reckless and it actually showed to be a miscalculation, and a better pick doesn't make up for it, at leat to me.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

IMHO, McMiracle did a great job not biting on the whole rental thing. Saving a few million dollars for Sarver is not a small thing, especially if those few million might be banked for future use. Saving a valuable draft pick is another. Perhaps most importantly, we have a better idea what our assets are going forwards. For instance, after most of a season of fairly consistent performance, we have a fair degree of confidence in Markieff as a long-term rotation player, which we might not have had if Pau took his minutes during the deep stretch run (i.e. the quasi playoff series).

And make no mistake -- both Archie and Len are assets, albeit unproven. I would be shocked if both did not make substantial improvements this offseason

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Why is this issue reduced to Pau Gasol?

carey

Post by carey »

I submit Espo's worst tweet of the year (of which there are many, many groaners.)

‏@Espo: Call me Veronica because I'm excited by Archie! #SunsAtKings
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:I submit Espo's worst tweet of the year (of which there are many, many groaners.)

‏@Espo: Call me Veronica because I'm excited by Archie! #SunsAtKings
I wish I could block the Suns from retweeting his stuff. Such a cheeseball.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ring_Wanted wrote:

I can understand wanting to make a move at the deadline. But I didn't want to give up a 1st for a rental on Gasol. I have no idea why the Lakers didn't trade him other than the fact that they were demanding a 1st. I'd rather not make a move then overpay...But I can understand the reasoning behind what you say with the team barely missing out.
Yeah, rentals are moves that have a bad reputation, but if it can make the difference between making the playoffs or barely missing I think you need to pull the trigger. It was obvious that the team was all in for the playoffs, but also that it could very well end up #9 in the West, with the brutal schedule remaining after the break, particularly April. I'm sure McD saw it as well, but he prefered to stay put and 'let the chips fall where they may'. I'm sorry but at the moment I felt that it was reckless and it actually showed to be a miscalculation, and a better pick doesn't make up for it, at leat to me.
I don't think our team was "all in for the playoffs" in McDonough's eyes by any stretch. If we had been, he could have made any number of trade deadline deals and he did not.

carey

Post by carey »

Not much new here: http://nba.si.com/2014/04/16/nba-regula ... -grades/4/
Phoenix Suns
Final Grade: A+ | Midseason Grade: A
47-34, No. 9 in the West | Midseason record: 24-17, No. 7 in the West

The Suns were the last team eliminated from the playoffs, so the least I can do is give them an “A+” for their shocking success under first-year coach Jeff Hornacek. Phoenix has improved by 22 wins, the NBA’s largest gain from last season. Sheer relentlessness triggered the turnaround, as the Suns took their identity from two hungry guards, Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe.

When Dragic and Bledsoe weren’t racing out in transition, they were attacking defenders in the pick-and-roll. Phoenix’s supporting pieces — from Gerald Green to the Morris twins to Miles Plumlee to P.J. Tucker — all played as if they had matching chips tattooed on their shoulders. To see Hornacek’s hard-charging playing style adopted by an entire roster of guys looking to make names for themselves was pure entertainment, from start to finish. Though no one can seem to agree on the criteria for the Most Improved Player award, everyone seems to agree that about half of Phoenix’s roster deserves consideration.

The thrills don’t stop just because the season is complete, either: Savvy GM Ryan McDonough, a candidate for Executive of the Year, is set to have three first-round picks, significant cap space and the ability to match all offers for Bledsoe, a restricted free agent. This ride is just getting started.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

I don't think our team was "all in for the playoffs" in McDonough's eyes by any stretch. If we had been, he could have made any number of trade deadline deals and he did not.
That's what I am saying. The team as in the players and the coach. The GM had to think that either we had enough to make the playoffs or that it wasn't worth it. My point is that he should have pulled the trigger if it was just the typical two second round picks or the Pacers' 1stR.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It was cool that the Suns became one of the most fun teams to watch league wide and they were a League Pass darling. You can bet that next year the Suns will figure heavily into the nationwide TV schedule.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote: So, where do you stand on McDonough as of now? Incomplete? Certainly you can't think he's a liability? It'll be interesting to see where you stand after another draft and half season of play.
McDonough had a really good offseason. He's made some very good deals. But I need to see him draft well. That's where I stand.
INF, I can respect that stance. I thought he drafted well this past year, but obviously production from that draft didn't show up all year. Sure, there were glimpses here and there, but there were also a lot of disappointments in showings and way too many DNPs. Next year, if Goodwin and Len are still around, it will be like a rookie year for them if they get some consistent minutes.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass