Game Day: Suns (31-30) @ Magic (19-42), Wed 3/4/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Game Day: Suns (31-30) @ Magic (19-42), Wed 3/4/15

Post by Superbone »

Time: 5:00 pm AZ (4:00 pm PT / 7:00 pm ET)
Place: Amway Center, Orlando, FL
TV: FSAZ/NBALP

I think we may see more consistent effort tonight to get back on the winning track. I think and hope these guys are sick of losing.

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Re: Game Day: Suns (31-30) @ Magic (19-42), Wed 3/4/15

Post by SDC »

channing frye gonna kill us.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shots fired:
"To be honest with you, we didn't really even have a chance," Sarver told the radio station. "He had mentioned he was interested in coming back, and then when he was talking to Orlando, he just called and said, 'Hey, you've got three minutes to match this offer.'

"And we just let him go. To be honest with you, Channing was a good piece of what we did, but I think we're better off now without him because it allows these younger guys to play."

Frye took exception to Sarver's comment that the Suns didn't have a chance to match the Magic's offer.

"I think we have to take what that front office says with a grain of salt," Frye told reporters on Tuesday. "I think right now they need to focus on their own team. I think we had many negotiations between [us and] the Suns."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... ?track=rss

Someone else mentioned the Sarver stuff in another thread. I was going to call bullshit on it then and I'm calling bullshit on it now. Maybe Frye is using the Dragic stuff to cover his own story but I've always said where there's smoke there's fire with Sarver and we know he can be a petty hothead. Most likely, the suns and Frye's agent negotiated back and forth all year, it probably got contentious at times, Frye got a better deal and gave the Suns a chance to match. I don't think he came out of the blue one day and said, "You've got 3 minutes" in some dramatic James Bond type of scene. It was probably leading up to that point.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

The front office seems to be speaking from a position of insecurity. It's unwarranted. From a business perspective, they need to understand two things. One, they've already made a ton of money over the last few years by virtue of being an NBA franchise in such a prosperous era. Relax! Second, basketball is a cycle. Sure, the Suns have rarely had prolonged playoff droughts, but some teams have had it soooo bad. Would you exchange places with the a Warriors fan? Well, I'm 30, not 60 or 10, so no. We had to let Frye go. IMO, we had to let Dragic go, too. WISH THEM THE BEST AND MOVE THE **** ON.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea, things aren't always going to work out with free agents and feelings are going to get hurt. But just say, "We decided to move in a different direction" and leave it at that. You can't try and justify every single move every single time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Suns brass needs to just pipe down. It helps nothing to make these kinds of disrespectful comments about past players, whether true or not.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Suns brass needs to just pipe down. It helps nothing to make these kinds of disrespectful comments about past players, whether true or not.
Babby is much better about the no comment thing than the others. He did get super offended by Dragic though. You could tell. Sarver basically answers anything his buddy Gambo asks.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:Suns brass needs to just pipe down. It helps nothing to make these kinds of disrespectful comments about past players, whether true or not.
OK. I am not trying to be a Sarver apologist, but what was disrespectful about saying what he did. Channing got a great offer, he gave the Suns three minutes to match (his prerogative. He didn't have to give them a chance at all). The Suns hesitated and lost him. Sarver commented on how important Frye had been and about how this situations seems to be working out for the best for all parties in the end.

How is that disrespect? I don't get it.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think people are reaching for q reason to blame Sarver for something. Someone has to take the blame for the current mess.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
OK. I am not trying to be a Sarver apologist, but what was disrespectful about saying what he did. Channing got a great offer, he gave the Suns three minutes to match (his prerogative. He didn't have to give them a chance at all). The Suns hesitated and lost him. Sarver commented on how important Frye had been and about how this situations seems to be working out for the best for all parties in the end.

I agree with your sentiment. I think the question comes down to whether or not the story is true. I doubt Sarver got a call out of the blue that said, you have three minutes to match, starting... NOW! Like Shel already said, it was probably brewing for weeks, so to portray it that way is counter-productive.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:

I don't either.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Gambo had some story today (caught the tail end of it) about Channing trying to get ahold of the front office but couldn't because they were on a flight somewhere & by the time they landed the deal was done. So... that doesn't really jive with anything we've heard so far.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What happened to in-flight phone calls?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:What happened to in-flight phone calls?
Right. These guys fly on private planes. There is no fucking chance they can't be reached mid-flight. I'm sure they have wi-fi and stuff to. I call MAJOR bull-shit on this one. Most likely Gambo covering for Sarver as per usual. McDonough is coming up in 2 minutes on KTAR.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

That was the worst McDonough interview I have listened to so far. He brushed aside every criticism and concern Burns had. I think I will write that letter as I'm not a very happy fan right now. :(
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Saying we're in a playoff push is just bullshit. Desperate to fill those seats, I guess. No faith that Suns fans are interested in watching young players grow. I think they're right about that, unfortunately.

bwgood77

Post by bwgood77 »

carey wrote:Gambo had some story today (caught the tail end of it) about Channing trying to get ahold of the front office but couldn't because they were on a flight somewhere & by the time they landed the deal was done. So... that doesn't really jive with anything we've heard so far.
Even if they couldn't reach him on the flight, I can't see how you don't tell Orlando or your agent "Hey, they are on a flight. Lets make sure we get their answer because I'd rather play there for the same money."

Unless, of course, Orlando put him on the spot and said they were going to move on if they don't get an answer by a certain time.

carey

Post by carey »

I forgot that Tobias Harris was Frye's cousin. Maybe we don't chase him this Summer.... :lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

A big factor missing from that is the agent situation. The agents say they are only looking out for what is best for their client but they do favors for teams and owe favors. Maybe Orlando did him a solid so he had a reason to move his client to their team as long as the money was the same.

The Dragic thing blew up after time with his agent. Most of our front offices anger seemed to be directed towards Duffy.