Around the League: Week 19 3/2-3/8

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 19 3/2-3/8

Post by Mori Chu »

He's good at driving to the hole, and a decent finisher, but not a GREAT finisher. His dribbling is questionable and he gets the ball knocked away and stolen more than I'd like. He is a decidedly mediocre passer and gets his passes picked off way more than he should. I think that last one is the problem that concerns me the most; he just isn't good at helping set up his teammates.

He doesn't really seem to like the pick and roll, or isn't particularly adept at running it. (Compare to Dragic who is measurably better in that regard.) He is a decent shooter but I don't really ever think, "This shot is going in for sure," the way I would when say Frye or Dragic or somebody would get an open 3. Bled shoots 45.5 FG% and 34.3% on threes; a little low for my tastes.

I love his rebounding, for certain. That's the single biggest thing he gives you relative to other guards. His attacks at the basket are also a strength. At the end of the day I don't think he's good enough to be a starting PG on a great team.

I think a starting PG needs to be excellent at two or more of the following things:
  • shooting,
    passing,
    defense.
You can win a title with a passing + defense guy, like Rondo. Shooting + defense, they become more of a combo guard, but you can get by with a guy like Chauncey Billups as long as they don't hog the ball. Shooting + passing without defense, that's a Steve Nash type.

Bledsoe is pretty good at defense, but his shooting is only fair, and his passing is mediocre. Athleticism and attacking the basket are great, but they are not on my urgency list of things you need from your PG.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Mori Chu wrote:He's good at driving to the hole, and a decent finisher, but not a GREAT finisher. His dribbling is questionable and he gets the ball knocked away and stolen more than I'd like. He is a decidedly mediocre passer and gets his passes picked off way more than he should. I think that last one is the problem that concerns me the most; he just isn't good at helping set up his teammates.

He doesn't really seem to like the pick and roll, or isn't particularly adept at running it. (Compare to Dragic who is measurably better in that regard.) He is a decent shooter but I don't really ever think, "This shot is going in for sure," the way I would when say Frye or Dragic or somebody would get an open 3. Bled shoots 45.5 FG% and 34.3% on threes; a little low for my tastes.

I love his rebounding, for certain. That's the single biggest thing he gives you relative to other guards. His attacks at the basket are also a strength. At the end of the day I don't think he's good enough to be a starting PG on a great team.

I think a starting PG needs to be excellent at two or more of the following things:
  • shooting,
    passing,
    defense.
You can win a title with a passing + defense guy, like Rondo. Shooting + defense, they become more of a combo guard, but you can get by with a guy like Chauncey Billups as long as they don't hog the ball. Shooting + passing without defense, that's a Steve Nash type.

Bledsoe is pretty good at defense, but his shooting is only fair, and his passing is mediocre. Athleticism and attacking the basket are great, but they are not on my urgency list of things you need from your PG.
That's a fair assessment. There was an article recently talking about how his 3FG% has increased recently, as a result of him not leaning back while shooting. I also think we're better off treating him more like a 2 guard on offense, as he doesn't seem to have PG instincts. I also think his defense varies with his attention - when he's tuned in, he's elite. A lot of that is coaching and experience. I think we can win with him as one of our guards if we manage to balance our roster.

BearHoward

Post by BearHoward »

Bledsoe isn't a perfect player, I can totally agree with a lot of your criticisms Indy. However, Bledsoe has a ton of value- because of his contract, athleticism, and youth. And he's going to get better. There are other players on our team that are FAR more detrimental to our success and poorer value.
I'm talking about Markieff, Marcus, Tucker, and Gerald Green. They need to go.

The Morri and Tucker are terrible leaders and examples for our young players (extreme DUIs, missing busses, leading the league in technicals, disrespecting the coach, disrespecting fans, and being involved in an assault investigation). Under Jerry Colangelo, after all that drama- these type of players wouldn't be on the Phoenix Suns. Period.

I love Gerald, but he can't hit a shot to save his life. And he brings nothing else to the table. No defense, no ball handling, no rebounding. If he's not scoring, he's literally useless.

We have to increase the BBIQ on this team, the shot selection, moving without the ball. These guys aren't learning or aren't listening or both. They don't move without the ball, the effort is off/on (except for Tucker), and BBIQ is terrible (bad shot selection, bad defensive awareness, telegraphing passes).

This is the least fun Phx Suns team I've had the displeasure of watching. Even the 2012-2013 team had more guys to root for (Dragic, Dudley, Gortat, Scola, Frye).

I really don't think Bledsoe is the issue here. If we replace Markieff, Marcus, Tucker, and Gerald Green with some fresh faces this off season- I think we'll see a drastic change in team culture. Wouldn't it be great if TJ Warren started over Tucker and Archie Goodwin ran the point, with Bled off the ball, while Knight is out? I'd love to watch that- but we know that won't happen since were still pretending to chase a playoff spot.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

BearHoward wrote: This is the least fun Phx Suns team I've had the displeasure of watching. Even the 2012-2013 team had more guys to root for (Dragic, Dudley, Gortat, Scola, Frye).
Largely agree with your post, except this. I hated that team. Loathed it. I knew that not a single player on our roster that season would win a championship as a member of the Suns. Ugh. Spent that whole season waiting for the draft.

BearHoward

Post by BearHoward »

Agreed, that was a really hard season. But there was a real feeling of despair- because of mismanagement by Lance Blanks, terrible coaching by Hunter, and lack of any real assets for the future. There was no hope.
BUT, actually watching the team play was less frustrating for me than this current team. Maybe it just boils down to expectations. I feel like our current roster has so much more potential and they blow it play after play. After a while in 2012-13, I didn't expect a damn thing from most of those players.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

BearHoward wrote:Agreed, that was a really hard season. But there was a real feeling of despair- because of mismanagement by Lance Blanks, terrible coaching by Hunter, and lack of any real assets for the future. There was no hope.
BUT, actually watching the team play was less frustrating for me than this current team. Maybe it just boils down to expectations. I feel like our current roster has so much more potential and they blow it play after play. After a while in 2012-13, I didn't expect a damn thing from most of those players.
I spend the games waiting for Alex Len to do something awesome or for TJ Warren to get in the game. If those two ever log 30+ minutes in the same game this season, I'll probably watch it twice.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:I think management paid him based on his exceptional athletic talent, gambling on a small body of evidence as a starting PG that Bledsoe would grow his basketball smarts into the position. So far, it's proven to be a precarious proposition.
Sounds about right.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Pretty good assessment about Bledsoe, Mori, but the thing that bugs me the most is his inconsistency. It seems as he can turn the energy on and off at will but he plays way too much at the lower energy level. I just don't feel like he's giving his all and we are getting enough value for what he's paid. I also definitely don't like him at PG and prefer him off the ball.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I also think we're better off treating him more like a 2 guard on offense, as he doesn't seem to have PG instincts.
I also definitely don't like him at PG and prefer him off the ball.
I get the thinking there; but I don't agree with it. Bledsoe would be a horrible shooting guard, because he simply can't SHOOT well enough for that position. You have to hit more than 45% fg and 35% from 3 to be a shooting guard. I could see hiding Bledsoe as a pseudo-SG while we bring in a better PG, but then I'd just turn around and say that we should flip Bledsoe and try to acquire a real SG who is elite at that position. Bledsoe has a combination of skills that I think combine to make him bad for both guard positions.

I like the recent flashes by Goodwin, but I'm not sure he has any more potential than Bledsoe. They both just charge to the basket; neither seems to have any sense of passing or running a pick-and-roll. And they both aren't great shooters. It's the same set of problems. Goodwin to me looks like just a younger Bledsoe without as good of defense or rebounding.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Mori Chu wrote:
I like the recent flashes by Goodwin, but I'm not sure he has any more potential than Bledsoe. They both just charge to the basket; neither seems to have any sense of passing or running a pick-and-roll. And they both aren't great shooters. It's the same set of problems. Goodwin to me looks like just a younger Bledsoe without as good of defense or rebounding.
To be honest I feel more confident when Archie drives it to the hole than I do Bledsoe. In my opinion I think he has a better handle than Bledsoe.

carey

Post by carey »

iLLmatic wrote:To be honest I feel more confident when Archie drives it to the hole than I do Bledsoe. In my opinion I think he has a better handle than Bledsoe.
You're not alone.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:To be honest I feel more confident when Archie drives it to the hole than I do Bledsoe. In my opinion I think he has a better handle than Bledsoe.
You're not alone.
I think he has better decision making skills as well.

"Be Legendary."

EDC

Post by EDC »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
You're not alone.
By that you mean Archie won't get in the air and throw the ball to the other team? Instead he will get in trouble and throw up a crazy shot that has no chance to go in?

At least with Archie we have a chance to rebound the ball. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
You're not alone.
I'm with you guys on both counts. Bleds is way better on D and rebounding though.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/12/nba-nb ... nl_siextra

Interesting article on the impending labor crisis. I hadn't thought much about Paul and LeBron being NBAPA president and Vice President and what that means but it definitely looks like the players - and especially the star players - are going to dig their heels in much more this time. I can't see it ending without at least part of a season being lost.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's going to get ugly.

Regarding Archie, he's a much smoother player and has great body control and footwork which allows him to finish better. He's also slippery and long, not unlike LB but again, much better body control and footwork.

carey

Post by carey »

Gladiator wrote:http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/12/nba-nb ... nl_siextra

Interesting article on the impending labor crisis. I hadn't thought much about Paul and LeBron being NBAPA president and Vice President and what that means but it definitely looks like the players - and especially the star players - are going to dig their heels in much more this time. I can't see it ending without at least part of a season being lost.
I think we might miss a year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I don't understand why the NBPA would oppose the higher age requirement. It would benefit older players, currently in the league, and allow the league to give roster spots to the better veteran players, rather than forcing teams to use slots on players they are merely developing. I guess it's a fairness thing, from players' perspectives? Also, why do most players care so much about how much the superstars are paid? Shouldn't they care more about minimums and distribution?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"Also, why do most players care so much about how much the superstars are paid? Shouldn't they care more about minimums and distribution?"

You are applying common sense where it is not very common ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really wish they would set things up where most players stay in college for at least 2 years. An age limit is one such way.