Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by SDC »

plumlee ideally should be coming off the bench, whatever quality big man the suns acquire in the free agency or trade.

Len needs to rest his ankles more.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:The only real upgrade to be made, however, seems to be Kevin Love or Chris Bosh.

That's been my thinking as well. Bosh keeps coming to mind for some reason and I keep going back and forth on him.
The question is, should the Suns roll the dice on him or hold out for something better? The key concept may be opportunity cost here. I'd be happier with Love but if Miami implodes and LeBron's off the market, Bosh would be a perfect fit basketball-wise.
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just for fun, Markieff is younger than Plumlee. However, Plumlee needs more time to develop, Markieff has supposedly peaked, weird.
Definitely a good point, worth some explanation. I see Plumlee as a more physically talented player. Markieff is already very skilled, while Plumlee is very raw. Give Plumlee a basic 15-foot jumper and an up-and-under move and he's looking pretty special at his size. Markieff is already quite skilled offensive-wise, meaning that one or two new skills wouldn't make such a huge difference to him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think Markieff still has legitimate upside as a starter. I could see 18/8/3 outta him as a starter next year if we go that route. He'll never be a defensive force, but he can shoot it, post it, pass it, and even put it on the floor some offensively. He's only 24. Green gets more love than this guy, and I dont get it at all. At worst Kieff has developed in to a very good bench 4.
I think the thing that keeps Markieff from getting a lot of love is because he doesn't have that one elite skill. Green is an athletic freak who can get his shot off anytime. Sure, he runs hot and cold, but you know his true value to the team. Markieff's true value is a little more muddy. He's just kinda pretty good at everything.

I think this year his post game took a tremendous step forward, but he'll never be dominant in that area because he's just a little too undersized. I think he's a fantastic bench 4. He can abuse mismatches in the post against smaller guys, or blow past the big stiffs. But in the starting lineup I think his advantages swing the other way against the better skilled opponents.
Excellent post.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just for fun, Markieff is younger than Plumlee. However, Plumlee needs more time to develop, Markieff has supposedly peaked, weird.
Yeah, I kind of hesitate at the notion that Plumlee can be developed. I think there are small improvements in his game he can make, and he can work on being able to produce more consistently, but in general, I feel he is what he is. I don't think he took a giant leap from his rookie season to his second year; I just think he finally got an opportunity and played under the right coaching staff.

We'll see, I guess.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:I think playing in Miami toughened him up a bit, gave him much needed experience and grit. He could be that veteran to lead the younger group.
That's not Bosh. It's easy to give that illusion when you have the best player in the league and a former Finals MVP covering your backside. Bosh has an appealing skillset on offense that fits right in with the Suns, but you'll still have defensive and rebounding issues on the other end, he'll still disappear too often, and you'll be on the hook for $18-20 million a season.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'd be happy if plumlee improves his FT shooting to 65%

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote: i'd use alex len to pry kevin love or cousins.
Sacramento has no reason to move Cousins, and with Gorgui Dieng and Nikola Pekovic, Minnesota has no reason to value Alex Len in a trade.

SDC

Post by SDC »

what if the suns trade for pekovic instead?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote:what if the suns trade for pekovic instead?
I like Pekovic. Bull in a china shop, gets loads of points in the paint, etc. But he doesn't give much on the defensive end, has limited mobility, and a heft salary. Plus he seems incapable of staying on the court. How many injury prone players do you want the Suns to make a large financial commitment too? I think the "look how good we were those 30 games when we had everyone in the lineup" song and dance is going to be a regular spring/summer ritual in the Valley for the immediate future.

SDC

Post by SDC »

oh okay, i didnt know about his injury situation.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yeah, I kind of hesitate at the notion that Plumlee can be developed. I think there are small improvements in his game he can make, and he can work on being able to produce more consistently, but in general, I feel he is what he is. I don't think he took a giant leap from his rookie season to his second year; I just think he finally got an opportunity and played under the right coaching staff.

I tend to agree but I think he could add some range to his jumper or a baby hook around the basket. I think he's a suped up Jeff Foster. He won't turn in Aldridge or KLove ever.

That's not Bosh. It's easy to give that illusion when you have the best player in the league and a former Finals MVP covering your backside. Bosh has an appealing skillset on offense that fits right in with the Suns, but you'll still have defensive and rebounding issues on the other end, he'll still disappear too often, and you'll be on the hook for $18-20 million a season.

Yea that's where I'm leaning as well, but it's still kind of an intriguing notion to me. It'd be a gamble for sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't think the Miami Big 3 will be even remotely interested in playing anywhere else. They already took less money to play there, and now they're having a great time and they're title contenders every year. And they get to live in South Beach. He's not leaving that. Don't forget that all 3 of the Big 3 already got to "be the man" on their own respective teams (Bosh=Raps, Lebron=Cavs) for years. He's already gotten to do that. He doesn't need to do it again.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Is Pau Gasol related to you or something?
Hmm, that could be.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

You're probably right Mori. I think if he were to entertain leaving though, Phoenix would be a really good spot for him and that he would work out great here.

There's really no other FAs that interest me. Maybe Luol Deng but he really did a number on his value this season with what he did (or didn't do) for the Cavs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Deng should go back to the Bulls. :-) That'd be hilarious.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99475 ... -2014-2015

I'm not sure this is 100% correct, ESPN has been known for contract blunders, but this is a list of FA's, restricted and non, for 2014 & 2015. I'm not very impressed with this years group. I have stated my desire for Monroe, but outside of him,Bled and a few lower-mid guys I'm not anxious to throw any substantial money at anyone. I suspect teams throwing Big Money at Bled who may be the best FA out there other then Melo this yr. re-signing P.J. on a reasonable deal would be nice as well.

Trevor Ariza will be a nice addition for someone, but with Green here I doubt its here.

I'm assuming the Miami Guys will opt in...I don't see them leaving.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I tend to think that all the Miami guys will opt out to get the full max through their Bird rights. Idk, I could be entirely wrong with that line of thinking though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

If they do it, there would be no money left to round up the roster. Maybe if Miami wins it all this year, they will continue atracting free agents on the cheap looking for a ring, but if they fail to get the championship, a maxed out Miami team, will be on the brink of '14 Lakers collapse with an injury to Lebron. He has proven to be an iron man, but still.

I think Lebron is not a sure deal opting in, he already looks tired to carry the entire team every now and then that Wade choose so sit out. If James leaves, thats the end of the dinasty, no matter what Wade and Bosh do. All of those guys know it. The fair and savvy move would be Bosh opting in, James opting out to get the five years (if available), full max deal he rightfully deserves, and Wade opting out for a longer deal at a clear lower salary (he would play 2/3 of the season anyway), allowing the Heat flexibility to round up the roster.

I don't want any kind of "King of the desert" circa around my Suns, hope McD finds a way to win a ring without James getting involved.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Everytime I see someone say they dont want LeBron, I just laugh to myself and understand why Suns fans are ok with just making the playoffs.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Everytime I see someone say they dont want LeBron, I just laugh to myself and understand why Suns fans are ok with just making the playoffs.
Thats like saying you wouldnt want MJ on your team.
You sold me two quier giraffes