2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:He is so raw. It surprises me, that so many want Lavine, and so many didn't want Goodwin.
LaVine has a jumpshot; Goodwin did/does not.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

LaVine is different than Archie, he gets points in transition and on jumpers, Archie lives in the paint and FT line. I'd take him at 14. He's gonna rise like MCW did after people see him in workouts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:He is so raw. It surprises me, that so many want Lavine, and so many didn't want Goodwin.
LaVine has a jumpshot; Goodwin did/does not.
I'm hoping it's greatly improved after this summer. That's what he should be doing every day. Shooting thousands of jump shots with coaching.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

And gaining muscle. As much as possible as long as he keeps his first step.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree. Goodwin seems like a classic candidate for a guy who should just stay in Phoenix all summer and work on his game. He could really be amazing in a year or two if he puts in the work.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:
Danimal wrote: There would have to be a degree of luck in that the team drafting has a log jam at the best play available's position. At least when we know the draft order it will be interesting to try and predict which team that might be.
I think that's an accurate assessment. I don't think any team is moving a top 3 pick. #4 seems highly unlikely too. I think what will be in play is #5-8, potentially. Boston, Sacramento, and Detroit are the likely trade partners. The Lakers are not going to deal with us. And the rebuilding teams like Milwaukee, Utah, Orlando, and Philly aren't moving their top pick.
I cant see how we could fit development time in for 3 rookies and assuming our first pick is #14 and I can't see anyone else trading a high pick simply for a couple of mediocre picks (it works in NBA2k but not real life - but I'd be happy to hear of examples that prove me wrong). Plus we are already some what struggling to find time for Len and Goodwin (yes I know their rawness contributes to this). I only see upgrading the pick working in a few situations. Firstly, if we are going after a hidden gem in the mid to late first round and only moving a couple of spots and I think we have the right GM for that.

Also 3 picks probably wouldnt move our needle much in the near future- it would probably just give us more depth in the short term and we already have a good bench. The options that leaves is if we really want to try and break into the top 10 is we would have to trade some one of immediate value to another team. Also it would have to be a team that is really only thinking short term such as wanting to get into the playoffs (such as washington, milwakee last year). This is usually caused by a mix of a GM being near the end of his contract (such as washington last year) and an ownership group lacking patience. With that in mind I agree that Sacramento looks like a good potential partner. A team that has been pumping in draft picks for years and going no where and last year began focusing on acquiring established talent to bust them out of their rut. So someone who could slot in quickly with them like a green, frye or a morris plus a pick of ours seems like a good balance of risk and reward for both teams. Would that free up a little cap room also to assist in signing a good free agent next year? I would only move dragic or bled for an establish star- hornacek: barkley type trade

Who might that player be in the top #10. I'm guessing it would likely be for a PF since low post scoring is something we very much lack. McD loves Kentucky and I like what I saw from Randle and his stock doesnt seem as high as it once was. However when I saw him play, he was he played well (this was at the start of the season), I didnt watch any bad games he played which I think is important in evaluating a potential pick. But moving up takes craftiness and savvy drafting. If a high pick could contribute somewhat immediately for Sacramento then why would they trade unless they under value the player and have a log jam issue. We want to keep accelerating our rebuild, so we would likely want someone with our top pick who would contribute something next season also, as well as being a long term talent. This is where McD can really make a name for himself by finding the right situation.

Some of the talk from the front office seems to be that we are ahead of schedule in the rebuild so they likely will focusing on getting star talent to move us up a tier. With that in mind, the only situation I could see us drafting 3 players would be if we thinking they could assist with a potential trade in the season - if Minny gets off to a horrible start then we may be on to something. But I tend to think other teams find picks more valuable than rookies since the picks give more flexibility. Or we use the picks to assist acquiring a good player and get some later picks back in the trade which we then use on role players (such as shooters) to fit around our new star.

Interesting times ahead.

And even though its probably a bad idea, I always like it when we draft project athletic freaks (such as former sun Chris Carr) or project big men in the 2nd round. Just think our up tempo style would help a very athletic player contribute faster. I'm saying this selfishly because I simply like watching to see if these types of players pan out and you get a few highlights along the way

TOO

Post by TOO »

Jordan Adams declaring, I'm a fan. I like a lot of this years guards.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

After deciding to go back to school, he changes his mind. I like Adams. I have him and Kyle Anderson rated higher then there teammate, Lavine.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Danimal: I think ultimately, if the Suns are going to nab a pick #5-8, it will be with a package of the Morris Twins, #14, & #18. The Suns would probably have to give the team they're with salary cap relief by taking on an unwanted contract and/or taking back more salary then they're sending out.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Danimal wrote: I cant see how we could fit development time in for 3 rookies
That's why drafting euros has been pointed by many, McD included.
Danimal wrote:and assuming our first pick is #14 and I can't see anyone else trading a high pick simply for a couple of mediocre picks (it works in NBA2k but not real life - but I'd be happy to hear of examples that prove me wrong).
Utah traded for the #9 last year using #14 and #21, but I get your point.
Danimal wrote:The options that leaves is if we really want to try and break into the top 10...Sacramento looks like a good potential partner.
I also see the Kings as a good partner, but more in a salary dump related deal. If they can remove some of their dead weight contracts while adding depth from multiple picks, I think they consider it. Detroit looks like another good candidate, above all if what's left from the hyped bunch is indeed a PF.
Danimal wrote:And even though its probably a bad idea, I always like it when we draft project athletic freaks (such as former sun Chris Carr) or project big men in the 2nd round. Just think our up tempo style would help a very athletic player contribute faster. I'm saying this selfishly because I simply like watching to see if these types of players pan out and you get a few highlights along the way
Aaron Gordon would be a hell of an addition to this team, even if he didn't developed offensively. Just the athleticism and defense would improve us a lot, and he'd be a rabid dog at fastbreaks. Then again, the logjam issue remains.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:Danimal: I think ultimately, if the Suns are going to nab a pick #5-8, it will be with a package of the Morris Twins, #14, & #18. The Suns would probably have to give the team they're with salary cap relief by taking on an unwanted contract and/or taking back more salary then they're sending out.

You're probably right about what it would take, but I am worried the opportunity cost of doing so is too great. #5-8 probably aren't sure things to be super stars or even stars. Doing so could take us out of trading for a star since we give up so many of our trade chips and I think we need a star to get us anywhere in the playoffs in tough west. So we'd have to rely on a major free agent signing but looking at the free agent list for next season, I have no idea who on that list would fit the bill except perhaps Gasol as a fix for a few years. And taking back more salary from the other team in a draft pick upgrade trade may hamper our ability to sign a big free agent. So we would largely be hoping that a #5-8 rookie would move us up a notch (assuming we dont trade one of our fringe allstars for an upgrade).

If you were talking about giving all that up for a top 3 pick I wouldnt be against it, but as you mentioned before, no GM of the likely teams in that position will do that. So I hope we have great scouts to find us the jewel of the #5-8 range. Its risky but also it could be an enjoyable wild ride.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Danimal wrote: I cant see how we could fit development time in for 3 rookies
That's why drafting euros has been pointed by many, McD included.

I wouldnt be against that if cant work anything else out. It still keeps us some nice assets who can maintain some trade value if they put up good numbers of europe rather than a rookie getting dnps all year or we strike gold and have ourselves a player. Got me thinking, I have no idea what happened to our 2nd round pick from last year who went to europe. Can anyone fill me in?
Danimal wrote:and assuming our first pick is #14 and I can't see anyone else trading a high pick simply for a couple of mediocre picks (it works in NBA2k but not real life - but I'd be happy to hear of examples that prove me wrong).
Utah traded for the #9 last year using #14 and #21, but I get your point.
Danimal wrote:The options that leaves is if we really want to try and break into the top 10...Sacramento looks like a good potential partner.
I also see the Kings as a good partner, but more in a salary dump related deal. If they can remove some of their dead weight contracts while adding depth from multiple picks, I think they consider it. Detroit looks like another good candidate, above all if what's left from the hyped bunch is indeed a PF.

Good point. Tell me your thoughts on Detroit. They obviously want to get in the playoffs sooner rather than later. Assuming their young bigs come back they obviously dont need a PF. But unlike Sacramento, one of Detroits main issues is the the whole pairing of Josh Smith with their existing front court. I dont see giving them more depth being much of a negotiating chip. Also is Dumars getting canned or are they sticking with him?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think it is far from a given that all the bigs return in Detroit. In fact, I think it's a safe bet that Greg Monroe is playing somewhere else next season.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Dumars is gone. I don't know if the new GM will keep the pick or Monroe, but if the best players available are all big men, they at least have to consider their options. Stauskas, a PG and maybe a versatile forward could be better than taking somebody like Gordon or reaching for need.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Dario Saric led Cibona Zagreb to the Adriatic League title. Finals MVP with 23 points and 11 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks. His shot has been suspect but he made 8-16 in the final four.

Jusuf Nurkic had a discrete game with 9 points and 5 rebounds but he is clearly in a different class for his competition and is a machine drawing fouls. Pretty quick for his size too, not totally unable of guarding pick and rolls, but will need to work on his personal fouls. Mentally he is reminiscent of Cousins, but with less crazyness.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kind of iffy on Saric. A lot of drama around him the past 2-3 years with his draft status, the teams he's played for, his father being overly involved, inconsistency with his game...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I've never been on the Saric bandwagon and I don't foresee that changing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dario Saric: "All guys that are in this draft, Parker, Wiggins, etc would not be able to do with this team, what I did this season."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Saric like Kyle Anderson are both far too slow to be high on my board.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Dudes Confident I'll give him that.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”