2015-16 Season Predictions

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

2015-16 Season Predictions

Post by Mori Chu »

Okay, it's that time! The preseason is over, and we've had a chance to see these teams in action a bit with their finalized rosters. What will the seedings be at the end of the regular season? Post your picks and predictions here. If you want to predict the playoffs, too, please feel free. But I'm going to post only a regular season ranking.

Mori Chu

Re: 2015-16 Season Predictions

Post by Mori Chu »

West

1 Houston Rockets
2 Golden State Warriors
3 LA Clippers
4 Oklahoma City Thunder
5 San Antonio Spurs
6 New Orleans Pelicans
7 Memphis Grizzlies
8 Phoenix Suns
Utah Jazz
Minnesota Timberwolves
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Sacramento Kings
Portland Trailblazers
LA Lakers

Commentary:
The Rockets are freaking LOADED this year. I like them a lot. They look scary. Not sure whether Lawson will work out, but even if he doesn't, I like that team as a #1 seed.

I'm not really sure how to rate the Thunder. If healthy, they're a top 2-3 team in the West. But I worry about KD's foot. I know he looks better, but that is exactly the kind of injury that can come back to bite you once you start pounding on that foot every night on the court. I worry that he'll miss significant time again. If he does, all bets are off.

I think the Grizzlies will disappoint this year. I almost wanted to pick them to miss the playoffs, but I can't quite do that. I think they're on the down-swing of their current roster due to age and lack of outside shooting.

I put our Suns at #8 though that may be a homer pick. I don't have a lot of confidence in that prediction and could totally see the Jazz or another team beating us out.

==================================================

East

1 Atlanta Hawks
2 Washington Wizards
3 Cleveland Cavaliers
4 Miami Heat
5 Toronto Raptors
6 Chicago Bulls
7 New York Knicks
8 Boston Celtics
Milwaukee Bucks
Orlando Magic
Indiana Pacers
Detroit Pistons
Philadelphia 76ers
Charlotte Bobcats
Brooklyn Nets

Commentary: I still like the Hawks, though I'm worried about the loss of Carroll. He may have been a sneakily super important guy for them in terms of perimeter defense. Going to keep them at #1, though, because of the strength of their system, their coach, and the fact that they have the rest of their roster back intact and that Horford will be healthier this year. Love that team.

Love the Wiz, too. Beal is making the leap, and Otto Porter looks much improved this season, which would help them immensely. Their bigs are pretty serviceable, too. Like this roster and this team overall.

Cavs will be very good, but they have a lot of injuries and will strategically rest Lebron for 10-15 games which will hurt their regular season win total.

There is a lot of preseason buzz about the Heat, and I buy into it. They don't have enough 3-point shooting, but having a healthy Bosh and having a full year of Dragic will be huge. I think those two will play really well together and can run a nasty pick-and-roll. I'm not super worried about Wade missing his annual 25-30 games because Gerald Green can make do as their starting SG in his stead. They'll need Whiteside to continue his strong run from last year.

I like the Raptors' offseason changes and almost ranked them higher. I really like the acquisition of Carroll, and Lowry looks awesome.

I'm kind of done with the Bulls. They have fooled me too many times. They always, ALWAYS underachieve and break down with injuries. I need to see what Hoiberg can do, and I need to see Rose have a healthy season (he probably won't). I'm out.

My possibly insane pick here is the Knicks at #7. I actually really like their team for the most part. I think Melo will be a bit healthier and more spry this year. Their rookie, Porzingis, looks very promising. I also generally like the vets they have or acquired this offseason a lot: Calderon, Afflalo, Robin Lopez, Amundson. I especially like the Lopez acquisition because they needed a presence in the middle. Don't think they'll be great, but I see just enough pieces here that I think in the weak East they'll make the playoffs. If they trade Melo, though, all bets are off.

Everybody is cooing about the Bucks, but I don't like that team much. They have a bunch of middling players, okay at a lot of things, great at nothing. Greak Freak is great, but a lot of these other guys don't excite me. And I'm not a big Greg Munroe guy. I think they still need a year or two of seasoning.

I like Orlando's young and athletic roster a lot, but they are a bit too raw and don't have enough 3-point shooting. Skiles will help, but they'll need another year.

Is there a more depressing team in the NBA than the Nets? Oof. Horrible.

pickle

Post by pickle »

West

1 Golden State Warriors
i think they finish top overall in the season, as i don't see any drop off from their players this year or the overall system. they may pace their guys to avoid injuries but overall that squad is too deep and too solid.

2 Oklahoma City Thunder
these guys are young and strong, and i feel like they will want to see what they can do with this team before facing the potential breakup next year. billy donovan will also be a significant upgrade over scott brooks imho.

3 Houston Rockets
lawson's numbers will dip but he'll give them a huge spark in terms of having another creator for the second unit, taking pressure off harden. but he's still immensely immature, and putting him next to dwight can't be great.

4 LA Clippers
solid team, lots of vets, will take a while to figure things out but so much more depth than last year.

5 San Antonio Spurs
they are the spurs. hate them or love them... they will be primed for a deep playoff run. although i did read some articles on how aldridge is a prima donna so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

6 Memphis Grizzlies
solid core, unspectacular but i don't see them slipping in the regular season.

7 New Orleans Pelicans
backcourt woes continue... maybe they could just trade us their whole roster on account of us having a better training staff. love gentry. have ryan anderson on my fantasy team. go up tempo!

8 Utah Jazz
daunting defensive team, even with exum out... not sure what burks could add a three point shot to space that offense, but still, i think they get the edge.

Phoenix Suns
this is me being a homer. but i really rather we just finish poorly and run the kids. i'm happy that chandler is changing the culture and helping len grow, but in 2 years, i want len to be worthy of my 3rd round fantasy pick godammit.

Dallas Mavericks
so many injuries.

Denver Nuggets
i'm higher on the nuggets than most i think. the manimal will dominate the regular season and if gallinari can stay healthy...

Portland Trailblazers
they lost a lot, sure, but now this is truly lillard's team. aminu is a nice pickup.

Minnesota Timberwolves
too young, too dysfunctional. they need to get rid of a couple of veterans before i could get behind this team.

Sacramento Kings
rondo... enough said.

LA Lakers
hate the lakers. love ranking them bottom. two years ago kobe was chasing the scoring record, but talk of that seems to have died down. i wonder if he might have given up on that?

East

1 Washington Wizards
wall, beal, porter, gortat, with youth and hope. i think they will make a big push for a good regular season record. still don't see them going deep but this is a young roster waiting to break out. unless injury plays a role.

2 Cleveland Cavaliers
agreed, mori, that they will rest players. but there's a lot of talent here and some question marks in the other top teams so i'm putting them second.

3 Atlanta Hawks
also agree that losing carroll will hurt them. don't think millsap could really comfortably cover the 3 spot, but i really don't know millsap's game at all. system is great, but without a staunch defensive presence at 3, korver will have to work that much harder, and there's the business of dennis schroder wanting to start. maybe they can be the suns east and do a dual pg back court...

4 Chicago Bulls
not as down on the bulls as you, mori. pau is older, mirotic is gonna cost them some defense, but ultimately this is butler's team now. i think everyone is tired of the derrick rose soap opera, and they are collectively moving on, with talks of butler running more point duties. i like their front court depth, as long as butler's body holds up, they should be okay.

5 Toronto Raptors
lowry improved, JV is facing his third straight breakout year... finally some rotational clarity at the 4 spot (they can't really start scola, can they?), ... they lost a lot with their bench though, letting vasquez and lou williams walk.

6 Miami Heat
i like their team on paper, but there's so much injury risk. whiteside is quite brittle, as is wade, and the constant adjustments to the roster can't be good for chemistry. if wade would just be shut down, i actually might like this team a little better.

7 Milwaukee Bucks
i do like the bucks, even if they have serious rotational issues. my biggest concern with this team is that i just can't get behind mcw. if they could just fix the 4/5 rotation with henson and monroe, and figure out how to use parker, middleton, and greek freak together, i think this team will be very solid for years to come.

8 Indiana Pacers
this is my vote of confidence in paul george. hopefully the injury bug is behind him. monta will be an interesting addition. hibbert was not that useful last year so good riddance. but they will miss west.

Boston Celtics
i rank them this high mostly for coach stevens. while IT3 was not a good locker room influence, i still like him and might very well root for him.

Orlando Magic
this team needs defense. the backcourt could be good, but as long as vucevic doesn't block shots, they'll have issues.

Detroit Pistons
again, ranking this due to stan van gundy. i like him and this could be dwight's orlando light.

New York Knicks
derek fisher. triangle offense. enough said.

Charlotte Bobcats
i think jeremy lin will help this team a lot. but again, where's the defense?

Philadelphia 76ers
i think the 76ers would panic if they were to finish any higher than this.

Brooklyn Nets
agreed. depressing. but hey maybe lopez stays healthy this year. plus he could bunk up with his twin brother. or am i thinking the wrong pair of twins?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Western Conference

1 - Golden State
2 - San Antonio
3 - Houston
4 - LA Clippers
5 - Oklahoma City
6 - Memphis
7 - New Orleans
8 - Phoenix
9 - Utah
10 - Dallas
11 - Portland
12 - Sacramento
13 - Denver
14 - LA Lakers
15 - Minnesota

Eastern Conference

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Atlanta
4. Washington
5. Miami
6. Toronto
7. Milwaukee
8. Indiana
9. Boston
10. Charlotte
11. Brooklyn
12. Detroit
13. Orlando
14. New York
15. Philadelphia
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

West
1. Thunder
2. Warriors
3. Rockets
4. Clippers
5. Pelicans
6. Spurs
7. Grizzlies
8. Kings
9. Jazz
10. Suns
11. Mavis
12. Blazers
13. Lakers
14. Wolves
15. Nuggets

East
1. Hawks
2. Cavs
3. Wizards
4. Heat
5. Raptors
6. Celtics
7. Bulls
8. Pacers
9. Knicks
10. Bucks
11. Magic
12. Pistons
13. Nets
14. Hornets
15. 76ers

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1) Oklahoma City
2) Golden State
3) Houston
4) Los Angeles Clippers
5) San Antonio
6) Memphis
7) Phoenix
8) Sacramento

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1) Cleveland
2) Chicago
3) Miami
4) Washington
5) Milwaukee
6) Atlanta
7) Toronto
8) Detroit

I'm just posting the playoff teams, that's it.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

West:
OKC-HOU-GSW-SAS
LAC-MEM
NOR-PHX
DAL-UTA-SAC
LAL-MIN-DEN-POR

EAST:
CLE-ATL
MIA-WAS-CHI
TOR-MIL-NYK
BOS-DET-IND
ORL-CHA-BRY-PHI

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

My little crystal ball. No confidence in this whatsoever.

1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Clippers
4. Thunder
5. San Antonio
6. Hornets
7. Sacramento
8. Phoenix

East: not even going to try.

Dallas will be the worst team in the west. The Spurs will underachieve as their geriatric trio starts to finally show their age.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I haven't followed the NBA as closely as I had in the past, so the only prediction that I will make pertains to the Suns. I think they will make the playoffs this year as a 7th or 8th seed. I do see them improving and maturing, Chandler, Leuer and Weems were good pick ups for this team, and I see Warren and Len improving a lot this season. The only thing I'm really weary of is our two pgs. I'm not sold on either of them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

The only thing I'm really weary of is our two pgs. I'm not sold on either of them.
Word