Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/BrightSideSun/status/658908998008250368

BSotS season preview podcast with Paul Coro: LINK
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Simmons picked us to finish above 36 wins in his West preview podcast. You can find it on TheBillSimmonsPodcast.tumblr.com
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/BrightSideSun/status/658908998008250368

BSotS season preview podcast with Paul Coro: LINK
A shocking amount of pessimism for a fan podcast. To compare this team to the "Gugliotta era" is stunning - does nobody enjoy watching our young players develop?

Personally, I'm excited for this team. I think we start to see TJ and Alex emerge this season. And if Keef hits the 3, and Brandon Knight starts to look more like he did prior to the ankle injury, this team will really surprise.

Thanks for posting, Carey!

carey

Post by carey »

OE32 wrote:
Thanks for posting, Carey!
You're welcome, my man.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

A shocking amount of pessimism for a fan podcast.
Right, because things have been going so well the last 5 years. I think the pessimism is more about past performance, and "fool me once..." mentality after how things have gone (especially the last 15 months or so).

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
Right, because things have been going so well the last 5 years. I think the pessimism is more about past performance, and "fool me once..." mentality after how things have gone (especially the last 15 months or so).
Fair enough. I was optimistic last year, too. At least we know we'll see TJ get some burn.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
Fair enough. I was optimistic last year, too. At least we know we'll see TJ get some burn.
Agreed there. He is a bright spot. It is just that we really don't have a single player that would be top 10 at their position. That makes it really hard for the average fan to get excited.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

This team could be a good team it just would take ALOT of things going right and that hasn't really been in the cards for the Suns lately. I wouldn't be surprised if we get off to a good start and then the wheels fall off somewhere in December or January. Hope I am wrong.

I am OK with PJ starting over Warren until Warren proves that it is time. I like PJ and Chandler's leadership and how it can improve things on the court.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That good season we had 2 years ago was the death of us. We got too excited and tried to shortcut the rebuilding process without properly bottoming out and getting the high draft picks and young players we needed. Now we're in that mediocrity treadmill. Even if we exceed expectations this year, we're talking about a 6-7 seed at the most, right? That's not where you want to be.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Last year took the wind out of a lot of our sails. It wasn't just the record, it was the way it unfolded. We try the three PG thing with mixed results. We had a decent record going but, everybody hates it except me I guess. Too many PGs, so we get rid of the best one (Dragic) and Thomas and get two guys that aren't as good who promptly get hurt right away for the rest of the season. The Morris twins and their excess baggage. Tucker's DUI. One step forward and two steps back. Fugly.

A new year and a clean slate. They can only go up from here right? Another rebuilding season. After a few of those we now have a hut built. We need a skyscraper. I sure hope I live long enough to see a Championship. Looks like I will be an old man in a wheel chair if and when that happens.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Mori Chu wrote:That good season we had 2 years ago was the death of us. We got too excited and tried to shortcut the rebuilding process without properly bottoming out and getting the high draft picks and young players we needed. Now we're in that mediocrity treadmill. Even if we exceed expectations this year, we're talking about a 6-7 seed at the most, right? That's not where you want to be.
I just don't think Wiggins would have done any more for us last year than Warren did (and Parker obviously wouldn't have either). What did we lose by ending up with Warren instead of those more highly-touted prospects? I got no regrets. TJ's awesome.

carey

Post by carey »

OE32 wrote:I just don't think Wiggins would have done any more for us last year than Warren did (and Parker obviously wouldn't have either). What did we lose by ending up with Warren instead of those more highly-touted prospects? I got no regrets. TJ's awesome.
This is a sneaky good point. If we bottomed out 2 years ago there's an outside shot we get Wiggins or Parker but pretty unlikely. After that, you have the likes of Aaron Gordon, Exum, Smart, Randle, Stauskas, Vonleh, Elfrid, Dougie McBucketts, Saric, and LaVine? I'm pretty sure Warren is as good as all those guys.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Also, if you tried hard enough you could sell me on the fact that Booker will be as good or better than half the guys taken before him in last year's draft too. Outside of KAT and Super Mario I think Booker can be as good as Russell, Stanley, Frank, Turner, Lyles, Mudiay, WCS, Winslow...

There was a thread on RealGm about a potential Paul George trade where we give up Markieff, Warren & Booker. I'd honestly tell them to take a hike.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
Agreed there. He is a bright spot. It is just that we really don't have a single player that would be top 10 at their position. That makes it really hard for the average fan to get excited.
I think Bleds and Chandler are top 10 at their positions, and some lists of PFs will put Keef in the top 10.

Shockingly, AASE is probably not a top 10 player at his position.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
I think Bleds and Chandler are top 10 at their positions, and some lists of PFs will put Keef in the top 10.

Shockingly, AASE is probably not a top 10 player at his position.
I can't see a 33 year old Chandler as a top 10 center. It might be close, though. And Eric as a top 10 PG? It is easier to list the starting PGs in the league he is better than.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap, do you really think there are only 9 guys on this list that would be better in 2015 than Bledsoe?

Jeff Teague
Jarrett Jack
Marcus Smart
Kemba Walker
Derrick Rose
Kyrie Irving
Deron Williams
Emmanuel Mudiay
Reggie Jackson
Stephen Curry
Ty Lawson
George Hill
Chris Paul
D'Angelo Russell
Mike Conley
Goran Dragic
Ricky Rubio
Michael Carter-Williams
Jrue Holiday
Jose Calderon
Russell Westbrook
Elfrid Payton
Isaiah Canaan
Damian Lillard
Tony Parker
Rajon Rondo
Kyle Lowry
Trey Burke
John Wall

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy: Actually, that sounds about right. Bledsoe is right around #10 when I look at that list. Guys who seem clearly better than him (in no particular order):

1 John Wall
2 Kyrie Irving
3 Damian Lillard
4 Russell Westbrook
5 Mike Conley
6 Stephen Curry
7 Chris Paul

Guys who might be better / as good but it's unclear to me:

Kyle Lowry
Jrue Holiday
Goran Dragic
Jeff Teague

Decent but seem worse than Bledsoe to me:

Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Ricky Rubio
Tony Parker
Rajon Rondo

Clearly not as good as Bledsoe:

Marcus Smart
Jarrett Jack
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Emmanuel Mudiay
Ty Lawson
George Hill
D'Angelo Russell
Michael Carter-Williams
Jose Calderon
Elfrid Payton
Isaiah Canaan
Trey Burke

===========================

So by my count there are 7-8 guys better than him and another 2-3 you could make an argument about. That's not a huge endorsement of Bledsoe but I just wanted to say that he's above average at his position.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Indy: Actually, that sounds about right. Bledsoe is right around #10 when I look at that list. Guys who seem clearly better than him (in no particular order):

1 John Wall
2 Kyrie Irving
3 Damian Lillard
4 Russell Westbrook
5 Mike Conley
6 Stephen Curry
7 Chris Paul

Kyle Lowry
Jrue Holiday
Goran Dragic
Jeff Teague

Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Ricky Rubio
Tony Parker
Rajon Rondo

Marcus Smart
Jarrett Jack
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Emmanuel Mudiay
Ty Lawson
George Hill
D'Angelo Russell
Michael Carter-Williams
Jose Calderon
Elfrid Payton
Isaiah Canaan
Trey Burke

So by my count there are 7-8 guys better than him and another 2-3 you could make an argument about. That's not a huge endorsement of Bledsoe but I just wanted to say that he's above average at his position.
He is clearly better than Rose? You are not sure if Goran is better than him? If you are talking about pure, who is a better PG (and ignore contracts or whether they will get hurt this year), I have a hard time taking Bledsoe before 15th or 16th on that list. And this only counts starting PGs. There are at least a couple backups that I think give you more PG ability than Eric.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:That good season we had 2 years ago was the death of us. We got too excited and tried to shortcut the rebuilding process without properly bottoming out and getting the high draft picks and young players we needed. Now we're in that mediocrity treadmill. Even if we exceed expectations this year, we're talking about a 6-7 seed at the most, right? That's not where you want to be.
You've got to start somewhere. 6-7 seed would be a great start.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Indy: Actually, that sounds about right. Bledsoe is right around #10 when I look at that list. Guys who seem clearly better than him (in no particular order):

1 John Wall
2 Kyrie Irving
3 Damian Lillard
4 Russell Westbrook
5 Mike Conley
6 Stephen Curry
7 Chris Paul

Kyle Lowry
Jrue Holiday
Goran Dragic
Jeff Teague

Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Ricky Rubio
Tony Parker
Rajon Rondo

Marcus Smart
Jarrett Jack
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Emmanuel Mudiay
Ty Lawson
George Hill
D'Angelo Russell
Michael Carter-Williams
Jose Calderon
Elfrid Payton
Isaiah Canaan
Trey Burke

He is clearly better than Rose? You are not sure if Goran is better than him? If you are talking about pure, who is a better PG (and ignore contracts or whether they will get hurt this year), I have a hard time taking Bledsoe before 15th or 16th on that list. And this only counts starting PGs. There are at least a couple backups that I think give you more PG ability than Eric.
I think he's clearly better than rose. Rose hasn't been healthy for 3 years and when he has played it's been at a level clearly below Bledsoe. To me he's 11th at worst. I agree with Mori, he's in the dragic/Lowry/Teague group somewhere.