Around the League: Week 2 11/2-11/8

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 2 11/2-11/8

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:Was never that high on Russell and was surprised the Lakers took him. Thought Okafor was a natural fit and they could at least play through him and maybe extend Kobe's career that way. Still too early, but tall, pass first PGs that can't shoot never excite me and don't often pan out.
Russell might not pan out, but lack of shooting isn't his problem. He was a 41% 3 pt shooter in college and was high volume, averaged like 6 attempts a game. He hasn't shot well in the NBA yet, but it's been 4 games.
Do we need to post Jimmer's shooting numbers? Beasley's? I no longer trust college percentages from perimeter players. While he can certainly figure it out and probably will I don't think pointing at his college numbers is too helpful. Though again it's very early and those are the only numbers we have to compare.
Jimmer actually shot well in the nba, he just couldn't do anything else. But the point is still valid, shooting in college doesn't always translate. But there is more evidence he can shoot than there is that he can't.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

D'lo can shoot. His problem is lack of explosion and overall athleticism, particularly for a #2 overall pick and compared to the prospects taken with the next two picks.

pickle

Post by pickle »

i think in terms of comparing college shooting numbers, it's usually used to prove that a guy can't shoot. when facing inferior athletes, these guys who put up college numbers are great shooters, and if they were to stand on the three point line in a workout, i'm sure they can shoot lights out too. but when you have bigger longer faster stronger athletes running at you on a nightly basis in the nba, that whole college % thing might not carry as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Grizz are looking a bit off. They lost to the Jazz tonight to fall to 3-3.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Kings are giving the Warriors a game right now. Up 79-78 in the 4th. League Pass Alert.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Aaaaaaaand just like that, the Warriors go up by 10 and the game's essentially over. This Rockets/Clips game is good stuff, though. 3-point game late in the 3rd. Harden has 32 points already and Blake has 24. Chris Paul is out. LOL, Marcus Thornton playing important minutes for the Rockets. Oh man.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

With all the hubbub about the Spurs getting LaMarcus Aldridge, their signing of David West kind of went under the radar. He just had 9 points, 9 boards, and 6 assists for them tonight. Dang.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Clippers got jobbed on a missed goal tending call. Aw.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:With all the hubbub about the Spurs getting LaMarcus Aldridge, their signing of David West kind of went under the radar. He just had 9 points, 9 boards, and 6 assists for them tonight. Dang.
actually i felt more pissed off by the david west signing than the aldridge one. you run a good organization, and have a reputation for winning, then it's only right that you tend to be seen more favorably by the relevant players. but for a guy like west to leave 11 mil on the table to chase a ring, i think that's just unfair. last time i was upset like this, was when payton and malone went to the lakers. good thing they couldn't win that year, and i hope the same on the spurs.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:The Grizz are looking a bit off. They lost to the Jazz tonight to fall to 3-3.
the pelicans are also broken. i picked them for the playoffs, as high as 7th spot, and they start out the season by digging themselves this massive hole.

carey

Post by carey »

pickle wrote: actually i felt more pissed off by the david west signing than the aldridge one. you run a good organization, and have a reputation for winning, then it's only right that you tend to be seen more favorably by the relevant players. but for a guy like west to leave 11 mil on the table to chase a ring, i think that's just unfair. last time i was upset like this, was when payton and malone went to the lakers. good thing they couldn't win that year, and i hope the same on the spurs.
I hear what you are saying, Pickle. I'm actually a bit surprised the NBA & NBAPA were both alright with West doing that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Wolves over Bulls last night. For all the talk about the Laker pick, man, wouldn't it be a kick to the balls if the Minny pick paid off this year? Blech! Starting to get that familiar taste in my mouth...

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Re: David West - I can't blame a player who already has all the money they could need to be comfortable to take a pay cut to chase a ring.

Re: Gerald Green - The guy has always been sort of on the edge, so I don't know if I'm going to be very surprised with any kind of explanation we hear for his recent situation.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Suns should be on the phone with the Pelicans regarding a Ryan Anderson-Markieff swap.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:Suns should be on the phone with the Pelicans regarding a Ryan Anderson-Markieff swap.
Yes, I totally agree, now that the Pellies are having such a rough start to the season. I would also be calling the Bulls about their way overloaded frontcourt, and maybe the Pistons since they must love Marcus so much by now.

pickle

Post by pickle »

The Bobster wrote:Re: David West - I can't blame a player who already has all the money they could need to be comfortable to take a pay cut to chase a ring.

Re: Gerald Green - The guy has always been sort of on the edge, so I don't know if I'm going to be very surprised with any kind of explanation we hear for his recent situation.
of course, it's his prerogative to go wherever he wants, and it's perfectly legal. i just don't think it's in the spirit of fair competition, and the rules suck for allowing this sorta stuff.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

When Grant Hill signed here for peanuts nobody complained.

I see no problem with a player leaving money on the table to play for a contender. Actually, the job of a front office is to create the kind of environment that makes your franchise desirable in such way.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The fact that he opted out of guaranteed money is what's admirable IMO. Having contracts on the table for X amount and turning them down to sign for a minimum is one thing. But proactively declining 12mil? Hell, I'd take the 12mil for a year, THEN go to SA.
Last edited by ShelC on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

And he isn't just coat-tailing, either. West is actively contributing and will be in their playoff rotation. Great veteran signing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:And he isn't just coat-tailing, either. West is actively contributing and will be in their playoff rotation. Great veteran signing.
Remember when that used to be us? Danny Manning?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."