Around the League: May 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SwingMan

Re: Around the League: May 2014

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:A very bad one, of course. I said I was ok with it, not thrilled about the choice, mainly because there was another guy who also put up numbers but played great defense too. Kieff goes under the same principle. He had a very nice season and won us games, but I can't say that he got robbed.
Agree to disagree on Markieff getting robbed - though I think Gibson deserved it more than Crawford if Markieff didn't get it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The second way is no database—simply involving e-mails, Word documents and Excel spreadsheets shared among the front office. And the third, which is the trendiest, is a password-protected online account through basketball website RealGM.com. Eleven teams are now involved, including the Nets, Pacers, Warriors, New Orleans Pelicans and New York Knicks.
In other words, a bunch of franchises who are not among the league's most savvy when it comes to personnel decisions. Name one team from the above list that has nailed their free agency signings, draft picks, and/or trades.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
The second way is no database—simply involving e-mails, Word documents and Excel spreadsheets shared among the front office. And the third, which is the trendiest, is a password-protected online account through basketball website RealGM.com. Eleven teams are now involved, including the Nets, Pacers, Warriors, New Orleans Pelicans and New York Knicks.
In other words, a bunch of franchises who are not among the league's most savvy when it comes to personnel decisions. Name one team from the above list that has nailed their free agency signings, draft picks, and/or trades.
Dubs, Pacers, and Pelicans are in pretty good shape IMO.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mike Wilbon was asked if Scott Brooks, Mark Jackson, and Frank Vogel get fired, which one is least deserving? You'd never guess his answer. #ESPNAACP

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:I thought this was interesting:
Which makes us wonder where the Suns fall in there since they weren't mentioned. If I had to guess, I'd say we probably do the same as the Celtics with the internal database.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I thought this was interesting:
Which makes us wonder where the Suns fall in there since they weren't mentioned. If I had to guess, I'd say we probably do the same as the Celtics with the internal database.
Seems about right, McD being from Boston and all.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
The Warriors have a good draft record in recent years. They Pacers are a good organization too.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

“During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000.”
All these years this has been debated, I had no idea that the rule said "immediate vicinity." I thought it said a player could not step onto the court. With that wording, there's another reason why Duncan wasn't suspended during the non-altercation a few years ago.

I think based on that wording, Paul George can escape suspension. Being a few steps away from the bench would still constitute "immediate vicinity" IMO.

We'll see what happens.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Just saw the news on ESPN: no suspensions.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Every living being and organism associated with professional basketball hates the Suns! Loud Noises!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

George escapes suspension, but Randolph does not.
Memphis forward Zach Randolph has been suspended for Game 7 of the Grizzlies' playoff series against Oklahoma City for punching Thunder center Steven Adams in the jaw.
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/st ... ded-game-7

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Funny how the guy on the marquee 1 seed franchise doesn't get suspended, but the guy whose team is opposite a ratings giant in OKC does. Hmm.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The two incidents couldn't have been more different, so to compare them doesn't really make sense.

And it wasn't just George. Rasual Butler came out further than George, and he wasn't suspended either.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Durant is MVP:

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mark Jackson fired. Owner really must've hated him...

carey

Post by carey »

Mark Jackson fired.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ha, both 11:28 time stamps. :lol:

carey

Post by carey »

I was driving when I heard it on SVP & Ruscillo. Couldn't post till I got home.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He deserved it. He didn't work hard; he famously would never stay late or work long weeks, saying that rest is just as important. He also clashed in weird ways with almost every assistant coach on the team, leading to two of them being fired or reassigned. He had weird substitution patterns (like "hockey line changes" where he'd sub out 4-5 players all at once), and he did a horrible job of directing the team offensively. A team with Steph freaking Curry and Klay Thompson was actually boring somehow, thanks to him. He also apparently didn't emphasize practice very much for the team. His main draw appears to be that he got along with the players, but he did so partly by trying to force everyone to participate in Christian prayer, sermons, and other religious activities that made non-Christian players feel uncomfortable. He got them 51 wins, but that team should have been a top-4 west seed and gotten to the 2nd or 3rd round. I think they're absolutely right to boot this guy and find somebody better.

"Mama, there goes that job!"

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It seemed like every time they showed him in a huddle (and I know they can't show the Xs-and-Os stuff on TV) he was giving some sort of Knute Rockne-eque halftime speech from a Disney movie. I wonder if that got old. It would for me.