Suns News: Week of 4/14-4/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Suns News: Week of 4/14-4/20

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

SDC wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I'd love Horford, but I don't think Atlanta is in any rush to give him away. They consider him their foundation piece.
Then they're overrating him. Horford isn't a star and he isn't even a great player. He's a really good player that has a bad habit of playing small.

With McDonough looking to throw away picks, if I'm Atlanta I approach the Suns. I'd say give me Plumlee, the Morris Twins, and #14 & #18, maybe Goodwin gets thrown in there.

Danny Ferry though seems more concerned with not sucking than he is building a contender. He's chasing mediocrity. and what's worse is since they took Indiana to seven games, it will likely give Ferry & Co. a false appraisal of how good of a team he has, somewhat similar to the situation with the Suns, and it will lead him to make short-sighted deals thinking they're "not that far away."
atlanta couldnt be more different from the suns.

but the only thing important is what mcdo thinks of the current suns squad: do you build on the success of last year's team, or is it fools gold and the suns should try to sell high the assets if possible or do nothing, maintain status quo, and bring in more young players?
I think that's the entire similarity pretended on Informer's post. Both teams are in a situation where they can feel that their current composition is further advanced towards a contender than they really are. Both teams could try to build over their current squad (fools gold) or try to sell high on some players very likely to come back to earth next season even if it is on different scales (Millsap, Plumlee, Korver, Green)

I would sell high on the Morri, Plumlee and if a good deal come along, Gerald Green ( I would prefer no to, but mostly because I like the guy, and would like him to stay put on a team for a change, keeping him as our designated gunner from the bench, but I'm aware that him replicating this year is very unlikely)

And I can see the Hawks aproaching the Suns asking for all that package to surrender Horford, but I can't see the Suns agreeing unless they are more desperate for some Star power than we know, even a third tier star like Horford. I would love to get Horford for the Morrii, the 14th and the 18th, but Atlanta won't bite, so I see why Inf went so far to get a deal done. Altough I would prefer to add our third '14 pick than Goodwin. What about the '15 Lakers' pick + Indiana's + the Morrii? How do you feel hanging onto LA sucking just above the 5th pick but under the 10th next year?

Thus the need to find a team willing to sell low for cap relief on an above average center, to entice Atlanta to trade Horford to us. The 18th pick + cap relief for a quality center thrown on Atlanta's way, whom aditionally get the 14th and the Morrii.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:...try to sell high on some players very likely to come back to earth next season even if it is on different scales (Millsap, Plumlee, Korver, Green)
Millsap has been rock solid for years. Korver is a career 40%+ 3pt shooter. Plumlee's game is a matter of energy until he properly develops that hook. In my opinion those three have a good chance to remain at their current level, or close to it, for the time being.

I'd be much more worried about Green and Kieff, plus PJ's 3pt%.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

And I don't expect Goran to keep his unreal FG and 3pt %s next season. But he can make for it if he improves his FTs.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Ferry has any illusions about his team. He came out and said that making the playoffs wasn't the goal. Now as well as they played a struggling Pacers team, I still don't think that'll give him a false sense of security about his team. He knows they're mediocre at best and he has some nice pieces in Teague, Horford and Millsap (and Schroeder). Everyone else are throwaways.

And yea, I also don't think McD is looking to throw away picks. He won't just sell them off because the team is good. He'll get value for them, even if it means trading one this year for one in 2017. But I think he'll try to move up or do a draft and stash.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Danny Ferry though seems more concerned with not sucking than he is building a contender. He's chasing mediocrity.
I don't agree with this part. I don't think he is one of those guys who just wants to make it to the playoffs and be mediocre every year. He seemed actually regretful that the Hawks made the playoffs; he had some quote about how he didn't care much either way. I think he would rather have had the lotto pick, honestly. I don't think he gets an A+ or anything, but I feel like he's done a good job so far of shedding expensive assets and taking on short term / reasonable money (e.g. that Millsap deal is amazing). Look at all the nobodies they have out there; that's a team that wants mediocrity and wants to win now? They're sneaky-sucking and trying to bounce back up in a few years.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote: He'll get value for them, even if it means trading one this year for one in 2017.
That's not getting value for them.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune come 2017.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah they said that in 2004 too.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I like what Ferry has done so far. Getting out from under Joe Johnson's deal has atleast given them a shot at rebuilding the right way.

Matching The Bucks offer sheet for Teague looks like a nice move as well.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Teague is woefully mediocre. I wouldn't have matched his deal (especially since there were reports that Milwaukee was interested in a sign and trade), and I certainly wouldn't have kept him past the trade deadline.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:Yeah they said that in 2004 too.
As usual you're criminally underrating Jackson Vroman.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Was his name even rumored at the deadline? Maybe it was and I'm just blanking. There will be plenty of chances in the future if things don't work out for Atlanta, but it definitely was not a sellers market this yr. They'll have chances to deal him in the future IMO.

The contract was a little rich when for my taste when it first happened, but His stats are pretty similar to what Dragic's were last yr. He had to look to score more when Hortford and Korver were out so his shooting % dipped a bit. He's still fairly young and has 3yrs at 8mil left. He's prob a tad overpaid, but he still has room for improvement and is a moveable piece for The hawks as they try to figure out how to rebuild.

Also a plus for Ferry was the Paul Millsap contract.
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Tue May 06, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

8mil per I should say not 8mil overall

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
As usual you're criminally underrating Jackson Vroman.
:lol:

I really needed that. Thanks 'bazz.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote: Also a plus for Ferry was the Paul Millsap contract.
That remains to be seen. I thought and still think Millsap is redundant of Horford. And it was just a 2-year deal, so teams aren't going to offer a lot for him when he's on an expiring deal, at least not in the way of helping them rebuild.

All Millsap did was help them be a terrible 8th seed, so I really don't see any wisdom in bringing him in.

SDC

Post by SDC »

it doesnt matter if the suns are not going to play him. he'll have to fight with PJ tucker for the starting spot.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote:
it doesnt matter if the suns are not going to play him. he'll have to fight with PJ tucker for the starting spot.
How many rookies come into the league and start right away? And who cares if they don't play right away? It's more the norm nowadays for rookies to see little playing time in their first year. You don't draft a player focused solely on their first year.

And besides, injuries happen. Trades happen. Free agency happens. All kinds of things happen that make having young, cheap talent waiting in the wings valuable.

It's silly to punt away cheap talent.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:It's silly to punt away cheap talent.
You're better than that, INF. What cheap talent has McDonough "punted" away? Why don't we wait and see how he uses our draft picks before we jump to conclusions?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

He hasn't done anything to warrant INFs negativity, I dont understand it either. :?:

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

McDonough is horrible. He could have traded for Pau Gasol but didn’t. That deal would’ve have surely made the Suns guaranteed to win every postseason award as well made the Suns shoe-ins for the superbowl world series championship of the world cup for the next 10 years. McDonough has sent this franchise back years. I miss the Lance Blanks days.