Game Day: Suns (11-14) @ Mavericks (13-11), Mon 12/14/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (11-14) @ Mavericks (13-11), Mon 12/14/15

Post by ShelC »

Pass.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

pickle wrote:I like Price ... Having said that, I'm still not sure why we get so much of him, since as everyone has already pointed out, we have a fairly capable young sg with size in Booker.
The coach wants to win. Some nights, you need to put pressure on the opposite PG. And to be fair, he has had his moments on offense. Do you want to ride Knight-Booker on D? Weak link. Booker not sucking on D like it was expected doesn't mean defense is a strength of his.
Dallas is a real match up problem for the Suns I think, since their guards are all of the bulky type. Deron neutralizes Bledsoe's strength advantage, Matthews and JJ Barea are built like bulls, and Felton is also a stout guy.
:lol:
Now seriously. Too many types of backcourt give us problems. At times this used to be a job for PJ Tucker but he's not there anymore. Knight is hopeless besides steals and Bledsoe by far doesn't have the stamina to play tenacious defense plus carrying an offense for a whole game.
I wish Len could be more creative with his footwork, even if he doesn't have a good feel with his left hand. Thought there was some report that he did a fair bit of work with Duncan over the summer. What did he learn there?
Len doesn't have the greatest awareness on offense, with his back to the basket at least.
Leuer continues to be a pleasure to watch, though I wish he was more decisive with the open threes.
He knows he has be missing lately. That 50% was nice while it lasted. Can't drop below 40%. I gues he is not used to so many minutes and it plays a factor.
I've noticed that our pick and roll defense switches way too much; in certain instances there is still space for the guard to try and squeeze through and maintain their match ups, but instead they just automatically get behind the big guy go into a mismatch. I don't get that, feels too passive and almost lazy.
Knight is gone if there is a screen (Same happened with Dragic), and Bledsoe is not great at going over either. If playing Booker at SF and Warren at PF was an option we could have something.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ring_Wanted wrote: The coach wants to win. Some nights, you need to put pressure on the opposite PG. And to be fair, he has had his moments on offense. Do you want to ride Knight-Booker on D? Weak link. Booker not sucking on D like it was expected doesn't mean defense is a strength of his.
Yeah I'm not saying Booker is the answer. I think I'm also among the smaller group in this board who doesn't dislike Price. I am very happy with his effort on defense and I think he plays within his means on offense. I just dislike the size part of the dual pg thing, when we consistently get beat up by the opposing team's size.
:lol:
Now seriously. Too many types of backcourt give us problems. At times this used to be a job for PJ Tucker but he's not there anymore. Knight is hopeless besides steals and Bledsoe by far doesn't have the stamina to play tenacious defense plus carrying an offense for a whole game.
Yeah that's a great observation. I do think Bledsoe has the physical tools and has shown great effort on defense for stretches. I've always felt that it's his lack of mental focus that leads to obvious mistakes, but it's also conditioning, both physical and mental, that plays into this.
[Leuer] knows he has be missing lately. That 50% was nice while it lasted. Can't drop below 40%. I gues he is not used to so many minutes and it plays a factor.
Hmm. I can live with somewhere around 36%, to be honest, out of our stretch four, as long as he takes good three pointers. If he's launching shots like Teletovic or Knight, then yeah I want a higher percentage. There were at least two wide open ones that he passed up or pump faked and drove on in the Dallas game.