RC Buford: Executive Of The Year

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: RC Buford: Executive Of The Year

Post by In2ition »

SDC, this is a silly argument over and over. Do you know exactly what the Lakers were requiring to complete the trade? I mean, what their actual price was, and not a speculated price? Does it even make a difference to you?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:SDC, this is a silly argument over and over. Do you know exactly what the Lakers were requiring to complete the trade? I mean, what their actual price was, and not a speculated price? Does it even make a difference to you?
i'm basing it on what gambo and paul coro was reporting. all reports indicate it was for one lousy late pick. admit it, your little boy screwed up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:SDC, this is a silly argument over and over. Do you know exactly what the Lakers were requiring to complete the trade? I mean, what their actual price was, and not a speculated price? Does it even make a difference to you?
i'm basing it on what gambo and paul coro was reporting. all reports indicate it was for one lousy late pick. admit it, your little boy screwed up.
Lance, is that you?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
Lance, is that you?
gambo? what r u doing slumming here?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I didn't want McDonough to make that trade, even for the Indy pick. I heard that they wanted the Washington pick and others out of LA were reporting that the Lakers wanted 2 picks. Turns out Gasol was out for most of the rest of the season with vertigo or some other sand in his ... ailment.

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:I didn't want McDonough to make that trade, even for the Indy pick. I heard that they wanted the Washington pick and others out of LA were reporting that the Lakers wanted 2 picks. Turns out Gasol was out for most of the rest of the season with vertigo or some other sand in his ... ailment.
the day after the trading deadline, the injured gasol suddenly became healthy again. obviously, you believe everything you hear from the lakers camp regarding gasol's health.

if the lakers really wanted 2 or more first round picks, we would have heard it from the phoenix suns sources by now (coro, burns, gambo, ash). but all we hear coming from them (obviously being fed by mcdo or babby) is that giving up even the indy pick is out of the question. the only guy who suggested the suns offer 3 1st round picks is cowherd, and he's one of the most clueless guys around with regards to the nba.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I didn't say 3 picks. Yeah, Cowherd wanted the Suns to give up the farm for a couple months of Gasol. That was insane.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Again, I ask: why it is only Gasol the one discussed here? Like he is the only player who could have helped.

Without even changing the trading partner, Jordan Hill was almost sent to the Nets for a trade exception and a second rounder (which apparently was the deal breaker as the Nets felt that providing savings to the Lakers was enough). Even the caveman would have been helpful, as well as others moved during he season. Deng was acquired essentially for nothing (second rounders and a quite protected 1st from the Kings which will probably end up being a couple of 2nds). The 76rs sold two of their starters for 2nds too.

And it is not like the roster was flawless on paper and then underachieved for no apparent reason. Wing creation and post O-D-R were quite visible needs, and the risk of missing the playoffs was very real. I can't for the life of me understand how so many were just ok doing nothing. The top of the draft was out of reach. The Wolves pick was out of reach at that point too. The Grizzlies were clearly on the rise. The Mavs were fighting as hard as the Suns and after the allstar actually became an offensive force. Players were getting visibly exhausted.

Nope. The FO passively dropped the soap. But we have the #14 instead of 21 right?

At least don't ditch this issue with arguments like mortgaging the future or because one poster won't stop typing Pau Gasol or fire McD.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Again, I ask: why it is only Gasol the one discussed here? Like he is the only player who could have helped.

Without even changing the trading partner, Jordan Hill was almost sent to the Nets for a trade exception and a second rounder (which apparently was the deal breaker as the Nets felt that providing savings to the Lakers was enough). Even the caveman would have been helpful, as well as others moved during he season. Deng was acquired essentially for nothing (second rounders and a quite protected 1st from the Kings which will probably end up being a couple of 2nds). The 76rs sold two of their starters for 2nds too.

And it is not like the roster was flawless on paper and then underachieved for no apparent reason. Wing creation and post O-D-R were quite visible needs, and the risk of missing the playoffs was very real. I can't for the life of me understand how so many were just ok doing nothing. The top of the draft was out of reach. The Wolves pick was out of reach at that point too. The Grizzlies were clearly on the rise. The Mavs were fighting as hard as the Suns and after the allstar actually became an offensive force. Players were getting visibly exhausted.

Nope. The FO passively dropped the soap. But we have the #14 instead of 21 right?

At least don't ditch this issue with arguments like mortgaging the future or because one poster won't stop typing Pau Gasol or fire McD.
i never understood how giving away the pacers pick is mortgaging the future. i thought i left the stupidity of the realgm crowd.

now mcdo says he doesnt need to draft 3 first round players.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I can perfectly see the point of those who don't want to move that pick, or who didn't want todo it at the deadline.

It's the hyperbole of mortgaging the future what irks me, as well as the tendency to reduce all the possible scenarios to one player and that specific pick, when clearly there were other options, and above all given the result of stading pat.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Again, I ask: why it is only Gasol the one discussed here?
Because it's sdc who has an infatuation with him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
there were other names discussed: luol deng, rudy gay.

eventually, mcdo settled for shavlik randolph.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

McD showed restraint not chasing the 7th seed and a 1 and done in the playoffs. He was disciplined enough not to give up assets for a rental in Gasol or Deng (or god forbid Rudy Gay) to get marginally better.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
there were other names discussed: luol deng, rudy gay.

eventually, mcdo settled for shavlik randolph.
Cavs gave up a pick to get Deng. Worked out great for them.

And are you honestly suggesting we should have traded for Rudy Gay? Did you follow the NBA the last few years? Gay is making $19m next year.

I will agree with you that there were definitely better options than Shavlik Randolph. Even on the free agent market.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Picking up an FA at the trade deadline in exchange for a first round draft pick is a stupid thing to do if your team is not even close to contending.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Come on, Mori! The Suns would have won the championship and swept the awards except the MVP if McDonough had made that trade. He didn't so he needs to be pulled out into the street and shot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't really care that McD got Shavlik Randolph. I thought of him as an end-of-the-bench guy probably brought in for practice time and as insurance against injuries, anyway. He didn't really make an impact, but I expected nothing more.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shavlik was ctually needed because Miles was going thru his lifeless stretch and Len was not playing. The practice boy was Slava and they cut him to make room for the new guy (who actually was somewhat decent).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Shavlik was ctually needed because Miles was going thru his lifeless stretch and Len was not playing. The practice boy was Slava and they cut him to make room for the new guy (who actually was somewhat decent).
He was definitely an upgrade over Slava. Coach used him late in the season and he was decently effective.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't really care that McD got Shavlik Randolph. I thought of him as an end-of-the-bench guy probably brought in for practice time and as insurance against injuries, anyway. He didn't really make an impact, but I expected nothing more.
Mori! Answer your PMs or at least update us here. Any word from Sose?

"Be Legendary."