In hindsight, was our recent 48-win season a good thing?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: In hindsight, was our recent 48-win season a good thing?

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
DrSublime wrote:i would say Parkers ceiling is a poor mans grant Hill where Warrens is a poor mans Melo.
I'd rather have Hill.
I don't see Melo at all. Interesting. He's more than a Ced Ceballos too even though Ced was a 20 ppg scorer. I haven't really figured out who TJ is, yet. If he could rebound I'd say maybe Marion-lite, but he's not quite that explosive. If you recall, Marion's 2nd jump was faster than some people's first. Some people have said Bernard King but that was way before my time.
The only player that I could compare Marion to is Kawhi Leonard. And even Kawhi has now passed Marion overall as a player to when Marion in his prime.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ring_Wanted wrote: Ennis, yeah, in hindsight it was terrible. At the draft, thought, it made some sense, from a team needs standpoint, as the Suns could use a third PG to backup Bledsoe-Dragic (assuming they were letting Ish go which was a given). Talent wise it was more than questionable, although it was rumored McD was aiming at a trade with the Raptors, who were in love with him. In exchange for Terrence Ross, supposedly. That #27 was also rumored to be on the move along with Gerald Green for Ryan Anderson.
I think the Ennis pick on its own could be discussed, but the Ennis pick combined with the IT signing... I'm not bagging on Ennis the player. Point guards take longer to develop, he had maturity and leadership in college, I get all that. But my impression from reading articles around draft time was that we picked him to hold Toronto hostage, as the Raptors wanted a backup pg and Ennis is Canadian. But either we wanted too much in return or that was totally bogus and we just blew the pick, but he was definitely not given a fair chance here in Phoenix. I won't mention the certain trade that sent him out of town lest Mori blows another vein, but damn, that was a total waste.

I really don't know Parker's game well enough to tell if he'll be a quality player or not. His development trajectory has definitely been longer than Melo or Hill. He hasn't really shown a reliable go to move or drawn attention from the defense due to a combination of abilities yet. Is he primarily a mid range guy? Penetrator? Slasher? A combination thereof?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was never that high on Parker and he seems to still be finding his game. Good size and athleticism but no real defined position. I don't think he's a true scoring 3 like Melo and doesn't have the versatility or IQ or Hill. I'd say a bigger version of Caron Butler?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

pickle wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote: Ennis, yeah, in hindsight it was terrible. At the draft, thought, it made some sense, from a team needs standpoint, as the Suns could use a third PG to backup Bledsoe-Dragic (assuming they were letting Ish go which was a given). Talent wise it was more than questionable, although it was rumored McD was aiming at a trade with the Raptors, who were in love with him. In exchange for Terrence Ross, supposedly. That #27 was also rumored to be on the move along with Gerald Green for Ryan Anderson.
I think the Ennis pick on its own could be discussed, but the Ennis pick combined with the IT signing... I'm not bagging on Ennis the player. Point guards take longer to develop, he had maturity and leadership in college, I get all that. But my impression from reading articles around draft time was that we picked him to hold Toronto hostage, as the Raptors wanted a backup pg and Ennis is Canadian. But either we wanted too much in return or that was totally bogus and we just blew the pick, but he was definitely not given a fair chance here in Phoenix. I won't mention the certain trade that sent him out of town lest Mori blows another vein, but damn, that was a total waste.

I really don't know Parker's game well enough to tell if he'll be a quality player or not. His development trajectory has definitely been longer than Melo or Hill. He hasn't really shown a reliable go to move or drawn attention from the defense due to a combination of abilities yet. Is he primarily a mid range guy? Penetrator? Slasher? A combination thereof?
The IT signing was Bledsoe insurance because of his hold out. Pure and simple. They had no long term plan to keep him. But a GM cannot say that to his players. Goran was just impatient.

Rebuilding is a bit messy at time. You cannot maintain roster consistency until you have a core worth keeping together. Goran, Bledsoe, Frye, Green is not such a roster. So, when a player complains about the Suns always changing things, it goes in one ear and out the other.

Even McD said in a recent interview that that 48 win season delayed rebuilding two years. Here is the quote:

"When I came in here a lot of people said you guys should bottom out and get a top five pick," McDonough said. "We've taken a circuitous route to that point. I'm not saying we'll end up there, but we may. Maybe it's two years delayed what's going on now."

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2016/ ... -nba-trade

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah I am not trying to restart the whole IT signing discussion. I was just saying, the Ennis pick was, to me, one of the worst moves in recent years, given everything else that had gone on. I'm not gonna say it's Johnny Flynn bad, but it's in that conversation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:Yeah I am not trying to restart the whole IT signing discussion. I was just saying, the Ennis pick was, to me, one of the worst moves in recent years, given everything else that had gone on. I'm not gonna say it's Johnny Flynn bad, but it's in that conversation.
I don't think it's in the conversation. There had to be a known killer prospect behind for that to be true.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote: Rebuilding is a bit messy at time. You cannot maintain roster consistency until you have a core worth keeping together. Goran, Bledsoe, Frye, Green is not such a roster. So, when a player complains about the Suns always changing things, it goes in one ear and out the other.
Thank you.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.