Around the League: May 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Around the League: May 2014

Post by carey »

@danbickley: Pau Gasol to consider Lakers, Bulls, Spurs and Grizzlies http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/artic ... d_16432244

I'm crushed, really.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:@danbickley: Pau Gasol to consider Lakers, Bulls, Spurs and Grizzlies http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/artic ... d_16432244

I'm crushed, really.
You know what I found painfully ironic (if true)?

A 7 footer with vertigo - I mean, that's akin to getting a nosebleed while taking a step onto a sidewalk curb. :lol:

I couldn't care less where Gasol goes - just so long as it isn't here.....

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeffreyLee wrote:this site sucks now, im going back to realgm,com. atleast people post there.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think anyone here told you to not frequent realgm; you're welcome to visit any and all message boards that interest you. I'm a little bewildered by the no one posts comment. What were your expectations? It's a new site with just dozens of users.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:@danbickley: Pau Gasol to consider Lakers, Bulls, Spurs and Grizzlies http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/artic ... d_16432244

I'm crushed, really.
Sarcasm?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Its the off-season, you can only talk about the previous season for so long. It'll pick back up during draft workouts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Its the off-season, you can only talk about the previous season for so long. It'll pick back up during draft workouts.
Exactly. It should pick up big time as we approach draft workouts.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I do wish people would post more often but seeing how there was long period of not even having a damn site to post on, I’m okay with inactivity. I’d rather a few posts then no post at all!
Seriously, there was a time where I literally checked the old site every day just to be disappointed to see it was still down. We should be thankful we have site. Thanks again Mori!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:I do wish people would post more often but seeing how there was long period of not even having a damn site to post on, I’m okay with inactivity. I’d rather a few posts then no post at all!
Seriously, there was a time where I literally checked the old site every day just to be disappointed to see it was still down. We should be thankful we have site. Thanks again Mori!
Great point, WW. It was devastating not having .net during most of a great season. It was such a relief to get it back via this site. All hail Mori! :D

"Be Legendary."

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

I apoligize, i was having a bad night. You guys are right we will soon gain more posters. I apoligize Mori, i know this was alot of work to get this site going. I had my male pms moment.
You sold me two quier giraffes

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Its okay, its quite acceptable around here :D

We enjoy the freedom of snark. :D

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think people aren't remembering how dead the original .net was before it went away. There were probably only 15-20 active posters. Summers were especially dead.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just because theres a lot of posts/posters doesn't make it a good forum IMO. RealGM has a lot of halfwits that just like to hear themselves talk.. I think I'm the only one of those here :D

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Jeffrey, I'm glad if you stick around. As INF said, please do still visit RealGM if you enjoy that site. I visit SpursTalk and a few other forums from time to time, and there's no harm in that. I don't expect anybody to be exclusive to this board.

In terms of traffic, I think there's a sweet spot of posts: not too many, not too few. A lot of those other sites like RealGM kind of overwhelm me. A game day thread for a single game will get 38 pages of posts. It's fun to have so much content, but it just takes me an hour to read them all, and I don't have that kind of time. Also, the signal to noise ratio kind of drops when every random person is posting their one-line thoughts every 12 seconds about the game. I like reading a few pages of good commentary during the game, followed by a few posts of analysis after. And I especially like when an insightful poster makes a well thought out post that makes me see something new I hadn't looked at before or makes me see something in a new way.

I think this site, while its traffic is pretty slim, has a pretty good average quality per post. When I see that a thread has new messages, I make sure to read all of them because they're highly likely to interest me.

The amount of traffic we have right now is less than I consider my personal "ideal" amount, but hey, this is probably just about the lowest traffic this site will ever have. It's the end of the season and the Suns aren't in the playoffs. There is literally no Suns news to talk about. Why visit a Suns site? It's warm and beautiful outside, there's plenty else to do. :-) I'm here to talk about the various playoff series and the occasional draft rumor, but that doesn't interest everybody. I wish we had more chatter about the various playoff series (sometimes a whole game goes by in a series with zero posts about it; oof!), but hey, I'm just as guilty as anybody. I'm working a lot this year, including weekends, so sometimes I just miss games or don't have any energy/time to go post about them as they're on.

But I agree with others that the traffic will go up over time. I hope Sose will eventually forward the old site URL to this one, which will help (once I actually email him, that is). And I think once the draft is approaching, or the new season ... Things will perk up. Next year is going to be a big one for the Suns, so I think we'll have plenty to talk about.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just because theres a lot of posts/posters doesn't make it a good forum IMO. RealGM has a lot of halfwits that just like to hear themselves talk.. I think I'm the only one of those here :D
"There's." Spelling/Grammar. :p
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

You know what overwhelms me? The game day threads over at Bright Side. How can you even keep up with it and watch the games?

No. Here suits me fine where it's more akin to watching the game with a bunch of buddies you've known for a long time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It's the whole format for me. I tried, but I can't stand it. Same with some posters over realgm, but overall I like that place better than BSoTS.

carey

Post by carey »

6 years 30 million dollars for Steve Kerr to the Knicks? How did he get a six year deal as a the first time coach?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:6 years 30 million dollars for Steve Kerr to the Knicks? How did he get a six year deal as a the first time coach?
It seems like being a savvy broadcaster is a good springboard into coaching right now.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:
carey wrote:6 years 30 million dollars for Steve Kerr to the Knicks? How did he get a six year deal as a the first time coach?
It seems like being a savvy broadcaster is a good springboard into coaching right now.
Or being an old pal who sealed game 1 of the '97 Finals for you..... ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I enjoyed this old interview with Stan Van Gundy. Seems like he's the leading candidate to take the Warriors coaching job, which I think would be a great hire for them. I think he'd immediately be one of the top 3-4 coaches in the league.