RC Buford: Executive Of The Year

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: RC Buford: Executive Of The Year

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:at least the suns can still go after gortat in the off season.
Not happening.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Not happening.
I actually wouldn't mind signing Gortat, but that sort of thing almost never happens in the NBA. Players don't like being traded away by a team, and they almost never "lower themselves" by going back there voluntarily as an FA. Also, teams don't like to admit that they made a mistake by bringing back a guy they just got rid of.

If both sides were amenable, re-signing your own traded away FA would actually be a very savvy move. Trade Gortat, get a pick, bring him back after a year on a new contract. Everybody wins. But somehow this almost never happens, outside of the occasional Antonio McDyess moment here or there.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Not happening.
I actually wouldn't mind signing Gortat, but that sort of thing almost never happens in the NBA. Players don't like being traded away by a team, and they almost never "lower themselves" by going back there voluntarily as an FA. Also, teams don't like to admit that they made a mistake by bringing back a guy they just got rid of.

If both sides were amenable, re-signing your own traded away FA would actually be a very savvy move. Trade Gortat, get a pick, bring him back after a year on a new contract. Everybody wins. But somehow this almost never happens, outside of the occasional Antonio McDyess moment here or there.
and a dragic here and there...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Not happening.

I just don't think McDonough has any interest in doing so.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I hope so. Spending 10M per on Gortat would basically make sure that we are renouncing to free agency in 2015. If the Suns plan to go that route there are very few targets that make sense overall, and considering his age and the way he played for us in 2012-13, I don't think Gortat is one of them. Besides, I believe he has found a new home, if the Ws want to open their wallet. Dallas could be another destination better for him than Phoenix.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I hope so. Spending 10M per on Gortat would basically make sure that we are renouncing to free agency in 2015. If the Suns plan to go that route there are very few targets that make sense overall, and considering his age and the way he played for us in 2012-13, I don't think Gortat is one of them. Besides, I believe he has found a new home, if the Ws want to open their wallet. Dallas could be another destination better for him than Phoenix.
but none of the superstar players want to play for the suns.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We'll have to wait to see what happens one year from now. Who knows, maybe the team takes the next step and becomes more desirable. Maybe a number of players come down to earth and there is a general regression. A team with so many variables pending resolution can't afford to spend big time on guys 29-30 like Gortat. He would make sense if he could be considered the final piece, but otherwise you are trapping yourself with a contract that has little chance to be a plus going forward.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I would prefer a PF, even better a 4/5 combo bigmen.

Gortat was profesional about it, but clearly didn't like to read the writing on the wall when we drafted Len. So, unless we trade Alex away, is unlikely that Gortat returns as a stop gap center.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It was more about both sides needing to move on. I'm sure he didn't want to be a in rebuilding situation going into a contract year, we weren't going to extend him because he didn't fit our long term vision. Neither side could have predicted the suns would have been so successful and had he been on the team, he probably would've made a big difference for us as a veteran post presence on both ends. But then we still would've been caught having to decide whether or not to pay him, which we probably would not have.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:I would prefer a PF, even better a 4/5 combo bigmen.
Sounds pretty good. And I guess Monroe fits. But I am extremely worried about interior defense. Miles-Len is not nearly enough to compete, at least in the West.

That's probably the reason why I am interested in Gordon.

Still, I'd give up pursuing Monroe for a chance at 2015.

And if that's not in the cards (or even regardless if done right), my dream scenario would be getting Gordon in the draft, plus somehow Stauskas (and throw in a Nurkic to stash), then getting Hayward on a reasonable contract via sign and trade with the Jazz. Resign PJ under 3.5per (fourth year, player option or partially guaranteed). Bite the bullet with Bledsoe.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Sounds about right.

I'm curious about how Hornacek could develop some defensive edge into Monroe. He has been all his career on a very disfunctional situation in Detroit, so maybe we could still develop him on that side of the ball. Having him paired either with Plumlee or Frye, even with supposed-to-be Len, would solved our frontcourt problems for years to come.

A max contract to Bledsoe is still what keeps me awake at night. Sounds to me like an Eric Gordon contract all over again. And the Pelicans are not so happy with the value obtained after matching our offer. But it looks like the ghost of Joe Johnson still haunts Sarver &Co., so all that will takes to sign Bledsoe to a max contract is an offer sheet. Under 10mill would be a fair deal to me. He wasn't even our best backcourt player this year.

TOO

Post by TOO »

At least you can't go 7 years anymore, 4 years of potentially bad max deal is much more pallatable than 7.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Instead of Hayward, I would like to see us going after Harrison Barnes, buy low now that he could be obtain by maybe the 18th pick and cash.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Instead of Hayward, I would like to see us going after Harrison Barnes, buy low now that he could be obtain by maybe the 18th pick and cash.
That is a pretty good idea. I like this one, if you don't believe that the 18th pick will be as good as Barnes.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

Gortat was profesional about it, but clearly didn't like to read the writing on the wall when we drafted Len. So, unless we trade Alex away, is unlikely that Gortat returns as a stop gap center.
i proposed alex len as a throw in for the gasol trade.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Not a Barnes fan, he looks like he has no idea what he's doing half the time. I think I'd rather keep 18 because its cost controlled longer.

TOO

Post by TOO »

SDC wrote:

i proposed alex len as a throw in for the gasol trade.
Because you're a crazy person.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

At this point there is very little to be excited about regarding Barnes. And that's leaving aside his impending new contract, which will probably end up being a big gamble. Really, everytime I watch him the only thing that makes me notice him is that he makes threes and the (too) occasional athletic play. I agree with TOO, I honestly prefer to keep the #18, although I wouldn't cry if it was used to acquire him.

If we are into buying low on SFs with untapped potential I'd look at Otto Porter. If the Wizards intend to keep Ariza he might become expendable in their eyes. The problem with these underachieving high picks like our own Alex Len is that their rookie scale salary in years three and four could actually be above their value.

But my absolutely first option for the wing this summer would be Hayward. There were rumors early in the season that McD was planning making an unmatchable offer for him, but it remains tobe seen if that's what he actually pursues. All I know is that Hayward has an extremely complete skillset, has the size, doesn't glaringly lack athleticism and is young enough to be worth our attention. If we were to spend heavily this summer he'd be my choice above Monroe.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
But my absolutely first option for the wing this summer would be Hayward. There were rumors early in the season that McD was planning making an unmatchable offer for him, but it remains tobe seen if that's what he actually pursues. All I know is that Hayward has an extremely complete skillset, has the size, doesn't glaringly lack athleticism and is young enough to be worth our attention. If we were to spend heavily this summer he'd be my choice above Monroe.
good. if suns can sign him up, there's no need for bledsoe.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
good. if suns can sign him up, there's no need for bledsoe.