RC Buford: Executive Of The Year

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: RC Buford: Executive Of The Year

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
SDC wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:I would prefer a PF, even better a 4/5 combo bigmen.

Gortat was profesional about it, but clearly didn't like to read the writing on the wall when we drafted Len. So, unless we trade Alex away, is unlikely that Gortat returns as a stop gap center.
i proposed alex len as a throw in for the gasol trade.
Because you're a crazy person.
LOL
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How about Chandler Parsons? Any chance of prying him away from the Rockets?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Sounds about right.

I'm curious about how Hornacek could develop some defensive edge into Monroe. He has been all his career on a very disfunctional situation in Detroit, so maybe we could still develop him on that side of the ball. Having him paired either with Plumlee or Frye, even with supposed-to-be Len, would solved our frontcourt problems for years to come.

A max contract to Bledsoe is still what keeps me awake at night. Sounds to me like an Eric Gordon contract all over again. And the Pelicans are not so happy with the value obtained after matching our offer. But it looks like the ghost of Joe Johnson still haunts Sarver &Co., so all that will takes to sign Bledsoe to a max contract is an offer sheet. Under 10mill would be a fair deal to me. He wasn't even our best backcourt player this year.
Longabardi comes from Thib's staff so I guess he could help Monroe, but if he wants the max or that's what takes to get him I think I'll pass. We'd still need interior scoring and strenght, that's why I am interested in Nurkic, but it seems his stock is on the rise and could be gone by #14. I'm also not too sure about taking him with my top pick, but I digress.

As for Bledsoe, I am willing to take the risk if the med staff is as well. The thing is that we as fans don't ever really know. At least it is a lesser injury than Gordon's. Partially removed meniscus is less scary than cartilage damage, but the way he plays and is built certainly warrants concern.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
But my absolutely first option for the wing this summer would be Hayward. There were rumors early in the season that McD was planning making an unmatchable offer for him, but it remains tobe seen if that's what he actually pursues. All I know is that Hayward has an extremely complete skillset, has the size, doesn't glaringly lack athleticism and is young enough to be worth our attention. If we were to spend heavily this summer he'd be my choice above Monroe.
good. if suns can sign him up, there's no need for bledsoe.
Hayward doesn't replace Bledsoe. He'd be a terrific complement to him and Goran, but you still need Bledsoe's abilities.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:How about Chandler Parsons? Any chance of prying him away from the Rockets?
First he needs to have his contract status solved. Morey can make him RFA this summer, or keep him for the min and let him become unrestricted next year. If he hits the market this offseason I'd be interested for sure.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:How about Chandler Parsons? Any chance of prying him away from the Rockets?
if the suns want to keep the team intact, all it needs is one more big man, not another small forward.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I could see Houston dangling Parsons for a PG, but I'm sure I'd make that move. If Parsons is moved I'd bet its for Rondo.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ainge would need to make up his mind first regarding the direction he wants to take Boston. I think they'd be better off using their assets to acquire a PF with range. Another ballhandler would take away from Harden and Rondo's offense is too limited to be worth it, in my opinion. I think the PG they really need is one with real perimeter defense plus three point shooting, no need for a star there.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote: The problem with these underachieving high picks like our own Alex Len.....
Len has missed half the season due to ankle surgery recouping and hasn't yet had SL or any type of training camp behind him - the above is why I keep needing to state this. Unwarranted slants.

I was down on the Len pick initially, but I know enough that his run this season most certainly does not signify underachievement. The kid's barely gotten a chance - in part due to finding ourselves in the playoff hunt for most of the damn season.

Lay off Len until you see what he brings after a regular, full offseason and no ankle issues (knock on wood, no issues were reported the entire 2nd half of the season) - if he shows zero progress afterwards (throughout the season), then the above might be warranted. If he shows significant progress like I envision, prepare to eat crow.

Simple.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SwingMan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote: The problem with these underachieving high picks like our own Alex Len.....
Len has missed half the season due to ankle surgery recouping and hasn't yet had SL or any type of training camp behind him - the above is why I keep needing to state this. Unwarranted slants.

I was down on the Len pick initially, but I know enough that his run this season most certainly does not signify underachievement. The kid's barely gotten a chance - in part due to finding ourselves in the playoff hunt for most of the damn season.

Lay off Len until you see what he brings after a regular, full offseason and no ankle issues (knock on wood, no issues were reported the entire 2nd half of the season) - if he shows zero progress afterwards (throughout the season), then the above might be warranted. If he shows significant progress like I envision, prepare to eat crow.

Simple.
You don't need to call me out on Len, and I certainly don't need to prepare to eat anything. I've been saying all season long that I won't judge Len until next year, the soonest. I've pointed at his significant potential and I've applauded him at the slightest sight of any kind of production, from defensive presence, to offensive rebounding, to his midrange shot form. I didn't even have a fav prospect last draft.

The point is that in the case he doesn't improve, or is unable to endure consistent playing time, his salary as a high lottery pick becomes an issue as it enters rotation role player territory (around 4M in year three). I don't know how you can jump or take exception at that.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
SwingMan wrote:

Simple.
You don't need to call me out on Len, and I certainly don't need to prepare to eat anything. I've been saying all season long that I won't judge Len until next year, the soonest. I've pointed at his significant potential and I've applauded him at the slightest sight of any kind of production, from defensive presence, to offensive rebounding, to his midrange shot form. I didn't even have a fav prospect last draft.

The point is that in the case he doesn't improve, or is unable to endure consistent playing time, his salary as a high lottery pick becomes an issue as it enters rotation role player territory (around 4M in year three). I don't know how you can jump or take exception at that.
If you've been "saying all season long that I won't judge Len until next year, the soonest" then why would you talk about him like "The problem with these underachieving high picks like our own Alex Len" ? You're contradicting yourself, big time.

Take it one year at a time.....

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yes, there was a contradiction. Probably a bad choice of words as my stance about him has been consistent all year and it can be condensed in one single word, patience. Thanks for the advice, tho.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Yes, there was a contradiction. Probably a bad choice of words as my stance about him has been consistent all year and it can be condensed in one single word, patience. Thanks for the advice, tho.
And it's not just you - apologies if it seemed like I was singling you out.

Seems to be a general feeling that Len has underachieved when one looks merely at stats & games played, not realizing the lack of any training camp, summer league etc. Thing about this year is Len is staying in Phoenix for the entire off-season in part to help make up for time lost due to not being able to practice and play last year.

Again - knock on wood, there hasn't been any ankle issues reported since he came back in the 2nd half of the season, so, with a full staff present, he'll be gaining knowledge and getting himself into peak physical condition. The rest will be game experience - which will not happen if we logjam with a retread like Gortat, Pau Gasol or somesuch.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems to be a talking point that people try to pile on, that Len is an underachieving high pick bust. I understand why they would say that, and I think it's only natural that people, who were down on the pick, would continue to feel justified with a slow start, regardless the reason.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Not specifically this forum, but loads of Suns fans are of the opinion Len = bust, shoulda drafted Noel!

Wait, what?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Harrison Barnes had a horrible disappointing season in Golden State, but:

- he was under a dysfunctional head coach with even more dysfunctional assistant coaching relationships

- they never practiced, so I don't see how he could learn anything

- they went out and got a veteran (Iguodala) who jumped in front of Barnes and took his starting spot, greatly reducing his minutes

- he plays with a backcourt (Curry and Thompson) who take most of the shots and don't look to pass first

I still think there is a decent chance that Barnes is a good NBA player. I'd take a chance on him. But I'd still rather have a guy like Love or Hayward for sure.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've never been a fan of Barnes. Not that i have anything against him, i just thought he was overrated at UNC and think he's a role player. I said he was Marvin Williams coming out and people scoffed. Inconsistent, not really great at anything, more of a physical specimen that looks the part as opposed to having actual game. I think the reasons you listed above Mori are excuses. Curry, Thompson, Lee, Green, even Bogut weren't affected by Jackson and the coaching staff dysfunction. Iguodala missed a bunch of time and Barnes still couldn't break through. And he was losing minutes to Green as well. Dudes a 4th option at best.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree that I wouldn't want to pay the guy big money, no way. I just meant that I'm not totally convinced that he is worthless. He's still VERY young, let's not forget. I think he'd be worth bringing in the Warriors decided to get rid of him on the cheap, but I wouldn't go much further than that.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:I agree that I wouldn't want to pay the guy big money, no way. I just meant that I'm not totally convinced that he is worthless. He's still VERY young, let's not forget. I think he'd be worth bringing in the Warriors decided to get rid of him on the cheap, but I wouldn't go much further than that.
I'd still say no - as others have said (though more politely), kid's shown himself to be a slow learner at best. Not worth the trouble of putting together a deal, IMO.