2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm probably his biggest fan, but Marcus Smart would be lateral at best (certainly a step back early) but I could see a scenario where Dragic is in play for an upgrade in size at the 2. That scenario pretty much rules out Dragic, but Bledsoe could be moved for a PG as well.
Goran's size at SG is not aproblem, or at least it hasn't been this season. Dragic's defensive troubles have come against quicker guards and screens. In my opinion there is a number of goals to reach with an eventual Goran trade, but improving the backcourt size probably wouldn't even make my list.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Superbone wrote:From JCSunsfan (former .netter) over at ASFN:
Gambo said the the first two players that the Suns interviewed (or are scheduled to interview) at the draft combine are Exum and Smart. They are only allowed to interview a limited number of players.
Hmm.
I'll jump to the conclusion and over a few steps right quick and get it out of the way :lol: :

Smells like a Dragic trade.....
Let's pray it is actually a Bledsoe sign and trade.
For Pau Gasol...

k, that was my last bad Gasol joke. :P

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm probably his biggest fan, but Marcus Smart would be lateral at best (certainly a step back early) but I could see a scenario where Dragic is in play for an upgrade in size at the 2. That scenario pretty much rules out Dragic, but Bledsoe could be moved for a PG as well.
Goran's size at SG is not aproblem, or at least it hasn't been this season. Dragic's defensive troubles have come against quicker guards and screens. In my opinion there is a number of goals to reach with an eventual Goran trade, but improving the backcourt size probably wouldn't even make my list.
I don't have a problem with it either, just speculating. I think if Dragic gets traded its because of money, plain and simple.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Which would be weird since Goran looks like your best shot at a team friendly big contract, unless indeed he was used to acquire a rookie. Besides, money would be much safer if invested on Dragic than on Bledsoe.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Again, I agree.. sorta. I'm not sure Goran would take a lesser deal if he has another All-NBA caliber season next year. Why sell yourself short on probably the 1 big contract he'll get?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Turns out Zach LaVine is basically 6'6 so at worst you have a SG with a nice shot and athleticism.

Payne has added much needed mass ans is now 240, plus a 7'4 wingspan. That's really good for a stretch forward. For comparison Frye is at 7'2 if I am not mistaken.

Randle has a poor standing reach, under 8-10, and McDermott is who we thought he was. And apparently Stauskas has a high fat % at 12,1.

TOO

Post by TOO »

LaVine is going in the lottery, possibly top 10 after workouts. Like MCW last year.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Again, I agree.. sorta. I'm not sure Goran would take a lesser deal if he has another All-NBA caliber season next year. Why sell yourself short on probably the 1 big contract he'll get?
Yeah, I don't think he (or anyone) would leave a huge chunk of money on the table to resign here, but it would be possible to have him set for good while leaving the team in a good position. Often it is just a matter of one or two millions per season what it takes to label you a great contract, and there are things like trade and performance bonuses to cover the player if he takes a little less at first. But first both sides have to be willing to make sacrifices, of course.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Fri May 16, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... e/9113165/
"We have good flexibility and a good range of picks," Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said. "We think we can get any range that we want to. If we feel guys are undervalued, we can move up to get them or move down and pick up an undervalued player and another asset.

"There's very good talent at the top of the draft. There are a few players who look to be special down the road. ... There is good talent later in bottom or lower part too. Drafts are cyclical, and this is a pretty strong year."
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

That's consistent with what he said in the press conference when the season ended. Basically giving no indications on what he plans to do. I don't think he can get into the top5, tho.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He got Bledsoe for a fat swing player, just sayin. McD looks like he can polish a turd.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

But he won't be polishing the EOTY award...

Just kidding.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't put Smart and Bledsoe in the same backcourt.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Jordan Adams really slimmed down. Lost like 20lbs I think.

He did well in the shooting drills as well, I think he'll play his way into the lottery by the end of the process. Guy can really score the ball, but his main knock was his inability to have a quickness and stay in front people.

I'm not as high on Smart as others, but he comes off very well in interviews. Randle comes off as extremely knowledgeable and confident in interviews.

The Exum interview isn't too surprising. Ryan seems like the type of guy who will do his homework on everyone even if its a position we already have
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

McD again crushes INFs dreams by saying they aren't looking to be a team with 6-8 1st and 2nd year players. :lol:

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Jordan Adams really slimmed down. Lost like 20lbs I think.

He did well in the shooting drills as well, I think he'll play his way into the lottery by the end of the process. Guy can really score the ball, but his main knock was his inability to have a quickness and stay in front people.

I'm not as high on Smart as others, but he comes off very well in interviews. Randle comes off as extremely knowledgeable and confident in interviews.

The Exum interview isn't too surprising. Ryan seems like the type of guy who will do his homework on everyone even if its a position we already have
Adams' 29" max vert is a little concerning, thats pretty terrible. Andy Katz's was 25" :lol:

Stauskas, LaVine, Gordon all have been impressive, as have Ennis and Smart.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Ryan seems like the type of guy who will do his homework on everyone even if its a position we already have
I liked this quote:
"The most mistakes are made in the draft when you only look at a certain position," McDonough said.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

"The most mistakes are made in the draft when you only look at a certain position," McDonough said.
Who does that?!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Who does that?!
The drafters who make the most mistakes, silly. :P

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Got it :geek: