Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:So, I have a couple games to watch from near the end of the season when I was in Vegas. Just watched the Atlanta game (Houston win coming up). Here are my notes. The Hawks announcers couldn't stop gushing about Booker. This was his 34 point game. I hope we resign Teletovic. This was the game where he set the NBA record for threes off the bench.

I don't think Archie is ever going to "get it." I think he'll be a career journeyman if even that. A shooting guard just can't get by without a decent outside shot. And he definitely doesn't have the handles to be a point guard. He had a bunch of turnovers in this one. The team played hard even though it was a lost season. Gotta give Watson credit for that. Speaking of which, he's got a cool demeanor on the sidelines. I never seem to see his emotions change. I look forward to seeing what the team looks like after a full training camp with him at the helm.
I agree about Archie. I like that he plays above the rim, but he doesn't bring enough else to the table. Agree about Teletovic.

The best part about those end of season games (for me) was watching Book see the double team coming and attack before it could get there. Smart kid, and he plays hard. Fingers crossed for him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/DaveKingNBA/status/739454166897176577

Duh.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:So, I have a couple games to watch from near the end of the season when I was in Vegas. Just watched the Atlanta game (Houston win coming up). Here are my notes. The Hawks announcers couldn't stop gushing about Booker. This was his 34 point game. I hope we resign Teletovic. This was the game where he set the NBA record for threes off the bench.

I don't think Archie is ever going to "get it." I think he'll be a career journeyman if even that. A shooting guard just can't get by without a decent outside shot. And he definitely doesn't have the handles to be a point guard. He had a bunch of turnovers in this one. The team played hard even though it was a lost season. Gotta give Watson credit for that. Speaking of which, he's got a cool demeanor on the sidelines. I never seem to see his emotions change. I look forward to seeing what the team looks like after a full training camp with him at the helm.
Thanks for the recap, but could you try to be more punctual about the next one? :-)

I agree with you about Archie. I gave up on the guy. He is not going to be a productive NBA player. He's only good at one thing, charging at the basket, so on his best day he's a homeless man's Russell Westbrook, and Russ just blew a 3-1 playoff series for his team. Archie is not going to be good on a winning team, ever. We need to cut ties with him.

I also would be happy to bring Tele back. He's a solid vet and a great shooter.

I'll wait and see about Watson. I do like that he's out with the players and staff hanging out and building camaraderie. I do want to see how he'll do this year.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If you're a SG who can't shoot you have to absolutely excel at other areas of the game to be productive. A few of you might remember T.R. Dunn, who played for Portland and Denver for years (and the Suns briefly). He couldn't score, but he had a physique like a Greek statue and was a great defender and rebounder. You knew exactly what you were getting from him every night and they built a team that could afford his lack of offense (with guys like Dan Issel, Kiki Vandeweghe and Alex English).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bobster wrote:If you're a SG who can't shoot you have to absolutely excel at other areas of the game to be productive.
Dwyane Wade is kind of the pinnacle of a shooting guard who isn't a great outside (3-point) shot, though Wade has a pretty decent midrange game. But you basically have to be Dwyane Wade to be this kind of player and be a net positive. If you're an NBA guard in 2016, you have to be a good shooter. Period.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:

I agree about Archie. I like that he plays above the rim, but he doesn't bring enough else to the table. Agree about Teletovic.
Also agree. Archie has been trapped in a numbers' game and soon his contract will expire. He should be used as a trading chip as soon as possible. Get something for him before he just vanishes.
The best part about those end of season games (for me) was watching Book see the double team coming and attack before it could get there. Smart kid, and he plays hard. Fingers crossed for him.
Absolutely. I pray for the FO to not screw up this one. It's not blind homerism.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Thanks for the recap, but could you try to be more punctual about the next one? :-)
Hey, at least it gives us an opportunity to talk a little Suns in their off-season. :) Next up is the Houston game. :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Chandler was just on The Jump talking about his future with the Suns. Couldn't hear it because I'm at work and they had the volume down but hopefully someone can catch it and fill us in.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Here's the Chandler clip:

He actually provided some good context to his earlier statements where he said he didn't want to be part of a rebuild.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Awesome, thanks. Always liked him, seems like a standup guy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Awesome, thanks. Always liked him, seems like a standup guy.
I've never heard his comedy routine but I'll take your word for it.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"What's the deal with defensive rebounding?"

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last time I saw legs like Tyson's they were hanging out of a nest!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:"What's the deal with defensive rebounding?"
Yeah, why do they have to be so defensive? Rebounds on the other end of the floor is what I find to be offensive.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Good news: Warren has been cleared to join the team spin sessions and spa days:

http://www.nba.com/suns/blog/warren-run ... our-months

Apparently, his time on the court has been limited to shooting from very close in, and doctors are just now clearing him for more strenuous activity.
Warren has been a frequent visitor to the Suns' pre-draft workouts, often taking stand-still, close-range shots once the practice court has cleared.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So Bledsoe it seems put out a tweet 3 days ago about wanting Harrison Barnes on the Suns, but quickly deleted it:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2016/06/11/ ... -the-suns/

Psssshhhh here we go....

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:So Bledsoe it seems put out a tweet 3 days ago about wanting Harrison Barnes on the Suns, but quickly deleted it:

Psssshhhh here we go....
Yeah. Then we will call Saver cheap. Oh god please don 't let it be. Rashard Lewis.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

ShelC wrote:So Bledsoe it seems put out a tweet 3 days ago about wanting Harrison Barnes on the Suns, but quickly deleted it:

Psssshhhh here we go....
No to Harrison Barnes at the price he'll be. Just no.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Barnes will get way overpaid. If he came here, he'd also shut Warren (and to a lesser extent PJ) out of the rotation. So of course we'll try to sign him. Sigh.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Not advocating for the move at all, but I think Barnes can coexist with Warren. And there would be some minutes here and there for Tucker.

Then again, you probably have his production for a fraction of the price somewhere else. And if you don't you are not missing big time either.